• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India

ret

International Debutant
Am I the only one disappointed to not see Irfan Pathan in the second test? Hey, he couldn't be much worse than Ishant now and he adds some valuable batting to the side. Maybe Piyush Chawla should also get another go sometime in the near future.
IP could have played at #7, lending some depth to the pace bowling. (and he is not too far behind in batting than some of those who bat at #7) That's where we sometimes miss ganguly, who could bowl a few overs to help the pacers out when conditions were good for that kind of bowling

Shri

Mr. Glass
No Pathan please. The guy is simply not test class. Although he is still a prospect in ODIs. Piyush, yes, he needs a look in. He owned county leagues last season and this domestic season too hasnt been terrible either.
He isn't THAT bad. >_<

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bit late but great win. Definitely one of the best since readmission given the conditions and build up to the series, anything from now on is a bonus.

Thought Parnell was fantastic yesterday, still struggling with line but good to see he can operate from around the wicket and swing the ball both ways.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bit late but great win. Definitely one of the best since readmission given the conditions and build up to the series, anything from now on is a bonus.

Thought Parnell was fantastic yesterday, still struggling with line but good to see he can operate from around the wicket and swing the ball both ways.
Yeah, I really didn't think Parnell should've been anywhere near Test cricket before this Test. He still looks pretty raw so I still think another season of franchise cricket (preferably one in which he actually takes wickets..) would have been good for him, but there's the possibility there for it to not be a complete disaster early on; he bowled well.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I really didn't think Parnell should've been anywhere near Test cricket before this Test. He still looks pretty raw so I still think another season of franchise cricket (preferably one in which he actually takes wickets..) would have been good for him, but there's the possibility there for it to not be a complete disaster early on; he bowled well.
Yeah, he looked pretty ordinary but not completely out of place.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am going to the test match on Sunday! Hopefully India bats and I see Sachin bat and score a ton. Can't wait for some proper test cricket live in the stadium. Bring it on!

ret

International Debutant
Well it's between South Africa and India, and the fact that South Africa would have beaten them home and away in the past few years makes it hard for me to plump for India.
Would you think SA are the favs to become #1 after this series?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great win by SA, an absolute bottom spanking, particularly as it was in India.

I've said it before & I'll say it again (& got bollocked for saying it incidentally) .... India don't have the bowling attack to hold to the no.1 test ranking spot for any serious period of time IMHO

ret

International Debutant
Great win by SA, an absolute bottom spanking, particularly as it was in India.

I've said it before & I'll say it again (& got bollocked for saying it incidentally) .... India don't have the bowling attack to hold to the no.1 test ranking spot for any serious period of time IMHO
hmm, so it has the bowling attack to make it number one but not the one to stay at the top for a serious period of time

Btw, here is a little bit of trivia on when Ind lost its last test: Ind lost its last test in Aug 2008 at Colombo! .... So this loss was after 17 months!

In b/w all these, Ind went without losing a test against
- Aus 0-2 (4)
- Eng 0-1 (2)
- NZ 0-1 (3)
- SL 0-2 (3)
- BD 0-2 (2)

That's pretty good job to go without losing a game in 5 series! In this 5 series, Ind played 14 tests and won 8 of them!

Zinzan

hmm, so it has the bowling attack to make it number one but not the one to stay at the top for a serious period of time
Yup, my guess is their current group of bowlers aren't good enough to see them sustain the no 1 spot for a long period. The fact they have both a higher population & more money (in the game) than the rest of the cricketing world put together would suggest they should have a group of 'top class' test bowlers come through in the next 5 years or so, if not, it's a bit of a worry tbh.

Last edited:

L Trumper

State Regular

Btw, here is a little bit of trivia on when Ind lost its last test: Ind lost its last test in Aug 2008 at Colombo! .... So this loss was after 17 months!

In b/w all these, Ind went without losing a test against
- Aus 0-2 (4)
- Eng 0-1 (2)
- NZ 0-1 (3)
- SL 0-2 (3)
- BD 0-2 (2)

That's pretty good job to go without losing a game in 5 series! In this 5 series, Ind played 14 tests and won 8 of them!
Beating ENG, SL at home and NZ,BAN away is not a difficult task. Its not just a good job by india they are blessed by weak schedule and all those series are expected to win by them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yet by contrast the weaker series yield fewer points towards the world rankings, so that's not actually that relevant a point.

ret

International Debutant
Beating ENG, SL at home and NZ,BAN away is not a difficult task. Its not just a good job by india they are blessed by weak schedule and all those series are expected to win by them.
I am not talking about beating those teams, but beating them without losing a test. I guess Eng did beat some of the other contenders in tests and even picked up the series against OZ so it's not like what's expected happens

akilana

International 12th Man
Just like it is easier for you to say that now after you have seen the result. You see in the realm of us normal human beings where Sachin Tendulkar belongs, it is difficult to know what will happen in the future, whether you will win the match or not. It is however relatively easy to check the news to see what the result is after the match ends.

You are right, anyone can get out first ball, point is, if I had a choice between someone with 10000 runs averaging 50 plus and a 2 test old player, I would say the 2 test old player is relatively more likely to get out first ball than the one averaging 50 plus. To look at the other end, it is more likely that the one averaging 50 will get a 50 as compared to the 2 test old player.
So instead of predicting what would Dravid and Laxman have done, let's just accept the fact India got spanked and the two might or might not have changed anything... It could still have been a superb spanking.

Zinzan

So instead of predicting what would Dravid and Laxman have done, let's just accept the fact India got spanked and the two might or might not have changed anything... It could still have been a superb spanking.
Exactly, bad enough to mention when losing by a small margin let only by an innings

L Trumper

State Regular
I am not talking about beating those teams, but beating them without losing a test. I guess Eng did beat some of the other contenders in tests and even picked up the series against OZ so it's not like what's expected happens
My point is that it not really an extra ordinary achievement but merely a good one. The chaos created by England helped India gain the number 1 ranking. SA didn't play enough tests during 09 thus lost it by not playing rather than poor playing. Although 1-1 against eng is a poor result. But their away record is better than india while india's home record is better. Finally in fairness to aussies they had very good summer and they are never below SL anytime. Its always a three horse game. I always thought SA as a no:1 although they don't have a formidable home record. But SL at 2 is embarrassing, considering they are yet to do anything significantly outside SL.