Cricket Player Manager
Page 51 of 190 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 765 of 2846

Thread: *Official* South Africa in India

  1. #751
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,178
    After seeing that spell, I have to ask, are there any batting line-ups in world cricket that could have survived such a hostile spell? No way.
    Last edited by Shri; 08-02-2010 at 10:58 AM.

  2. #752
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Haha, they've already got in on the act in the "Number Crunching" section as well.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  3. #753
    State Regular L Trumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Not only one innings, but one innings where one debutant made a fifty, the one player who is not part of batting plans, and the third who had his first failure in Test cricket.....

    At least they could wait until the match is over...
    In fairness to vijay the ball he got out was nip back a lot, its not really his fault considering the wicket, its not a poor judgment from his POV.
    As far as cricinfo articles considered they always over do it with the verdict of the day they try to predict the next decade.

  4. #754
    ret
    ret is offline
    International Debutant ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    2,890
    I saw the highlights and saw some comical leaves by Indian batsmen that resulted in to them getting bowled .... the damage could have been much less, if some of those guys had applied themselves a little more or resisted that rush of blood. But I guess that's cricket
    Fastest gun in town


  5. #755
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,178
    Quote Originally Posted by ret View Post
    I saw the highlights and saw some comical leaves by Indian batsmen that resulted in to them getting bowled .... the damage could have been much less, if some of those guys had applied themselves a little more or resisted that rush of blood. But I guess that's cricket
    You didn't see the bowlers setting them up then. Vijay got some out swingers with the same line and length before being done in by one that came back in. Was just exceptional bowling.

  6. #756
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Tentaively i'll say it seem like Gambhir has the same problems like Strauss againts bowlers coming around the wicket to him. This is the first time he has faced a quality pace attack since he came back in the IND team vs SRI 08 & in this test he has looked like the nervous Gambhir that struggled on his debut vs AUS 04 & vs Vaas 05. Which coincidentally was the last tme he faced quality & inform new-ball bowlers.

    Will be interesting to see how he counters that in the second test.

  7. #757
    State Regular L Trumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Tentaively i'll say it seem like Gambhir has the same problems like Strauss againts bowlers coming around the wicket to him. This is the first time he has faced a quality pace attack since he came back in the IND team vs SRI 08 & in this test he has looked like the nervous Gambhir that struggled on his debut vs AUS 04 & vs Vaas 05. Which coincidentally was the last tme he faced quality & inform new-ball bowlers.

    Will be interesting to see how he counters that in the second test.
    This. I always thought the same. I hope gambhir will cope with that problem in the next test. But come SA tour in the end of year is the real test for him.

  8. #758
    ret
    ret is offline
    International Debutant ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    You didn't see the bowlers setting them up then. Vijay got some out swingers with the same line and length before being done in by one that came back in. Was just exceptional bowling.
    No doubt that the bowling was exceptional (esp the strategy) .... What I am saying is that I would have liked Ind batsmen to match that too (thinking process). It's obvious that a bowler is setting you up with something if he is bowling the same line and length

    I remember doing such stuff in school like get a couple of ball to come in to the pads and then bowl a straight quick one. Or keep bowling on a few staight ones on the legs and then get one to move away from the leg to off. I know this is not a great example to use but just to show that bowlers set batsmen up at most level. Which is why I found some of those leaves strange but those highlights don't reflect the whole game plan so may be I could have missed something. And yeah those simple things work at all levels
    Last edited by ret; 08-02-2010 at 11:39 AM.

  9. #759
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,810
    Quote Originally Posted by ret View Post
    I saw the highlights and saw some comical leaves by Indian batsmen that resulted in to them getting bowled .... the damage could have been much less, if some of those guys had applied themselves a little more or resisted that rush of blood. But I guess that's cricket
    How well prepared is any batsman for that stuff and especially considering that Indian batsmen are brought up on a diet of "fast" bowlers are 10 ks slower and nowhere near as skilful?

    To put it mildly, there is a massive difference between world class versus good enough to get into a team because the options are limited

  10. #760
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by L Trumper View Post
    This. I always thought the same. I hope gambhir will cope with that problem in the next test. But come SA tour in the end of year is the real test for him.
    Indeed.

  11. #761
    State Regular L Trumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by ret View Post
    No doubt that the bowling was exceptional (esp the strategy) .... What I am saying is that I would have liked Ind batsmen to match that too (thinking process). It's obvious that a bowler is setting you up with something if he is bowling the same line and length

    I remember doing such stuff in school like get a couple of ball to come in to the pads and then bowl a straight quick one. Or keep bowling on a few staight ones on the legs and then get one to move away from the leg to off. I know this is not a great example to use but just to show that bowlers set batsmen up at most level. Which is why I found some of those leaves strange but those highlights don't reflect the whole game plan so may be I could have missed something. And yeah those simple things work at all levels
    Two outswingers followed by inswinger is always difficult. No matter how good a batsman is if bowler got it right chances of batsmen's survival is almost none. Legend has it that malcom marshall once told gatting that he is gonna do the three card trick and will get him and he did exactly that in the match.
    Even if you know bowler setting you up its difficult to predcit
    when exactly the ball is going to nip back,
    whether bowler can delver the inswinger in those conditions,
    how long can it nip back,
    does wicket have enough carry to take it over the stumps
    whether its okay to drive the balls that are swinging away et al;
    sometimes he can go a bit shorter and still bowl the outswinger (steyn against SRT), if you are willing to drive which will induce an edge.

    Its just damn good bowling batsman has to be very careful. Considering the placid pitch we can't blame them because batsman generally dont think it is possible on these kind of pitches. In second innings they will do better but I am pretty sure SA had this in bag.

  12. #762
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    905
    I was overconfident that Dhoni won't lose a test.But that is going to change.I am so disappointed with the selection of Saha,a specialist batsman really?

    Not taking credit away from SA.They were awesome and deserved winners.Steyn my man once again proved why he is the best.

  13. #763
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,926
    Yea, Saha was a stupid pick in the squad. I mean he was never intended to play as a specialist bat by the selectors but their shortsightedness of not picking any backup batsmen (they knew Laxman was iffy) was just inexcusable.

    That's not what's going to lose the Test though. First and foremost, it's Steyn and his awesome bowling, and second, it's India's less than inspired bowling.

    But really, I was really upset in Ahemdabad, and several other instances where India lost the Test. I am not upset now. There is nothing to get upset about if you lose to someone like Steyn. That's just losing to a superior level of play, nothing much you can do. As a fan, you hope for the best for your team while enjoying the awesome ferocity of a fast bowler at the absolute peak of his power, saying **** you to the pitch and running wild all over the batting lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  14. #764
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,201
    It is a little scary that all SA's 4 seamers were quicker than the 2 chosen by India. Even Kallis as SA's 4th seamer broke 90 mph and was faster on average than Indias frontline seamers despite already cracking a big ton.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  15. #765
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,926
    Yes, most defnitely. That's always been an issue. Can you believe that before Kapil Dev, Gavaskar had never seen any Indian fast bowler bounce an opposition player? The whole team was shocked when he came along, and he was hardly express!

    Ishant was never 90mph, but he was bowling 140kph initially and now he is 5-10kph slower. While more speed is nice, I think India seem to be missing a lot more than that with our pace bowling most of the time. India do need swinging conditions to be really effective, and the problem is that could also play into the other team's hands.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. India v South Africa Tests
    By James in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-01-2010, 05:59 PM
  2. Ground Conditions and Season 2 Draws
    By Simon in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 18-03-2009, 03:17 PM
  3. *Official* CW XI in South Africa
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum Cricket Web XI
    Replies: 552
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 05:08 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-06-2006, 10:21 AM
  5. Cricket Memoribilia
    By SOL in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-06-2004, 01:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •