• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India

ret

International Debutant
I get a feeling that SA are going to give Ind a good fight. Ind will have to be at the top of their game

It should be a good series considering both teams would want to show which one is more deserving of the #1 rank. It should be an exciting series!

VFE

Cricket Spectator
To be honest I dont understand why anyone would be thinking of bestowing greatness on this SA team.

They are not very good. They had a purple patch and people (well some) were suggesting Duminy, Amla, De Villiers et al were great players. They were good players in form. There is a major difference.

Steyn in class but they have no spinner. De Wet will be decent but is starting out. Parnell is hugeky over rated and will not have a long Test career.

Their batting is brittle.

Certainly not great and tbh no better than the other 4 teams battling for supremacy in Tests at the moment.

VFE

Cricket Spectator
Fast bowlers can do well in dustbowls... FFS, low and slow conditions and variable bounce can be used by any good bowler..
Low and slow is useless to all bowlers.

Bounce and carry is what all bowlers need.

Variable bounce is just unfair to batsmen.

The perfect Sub Cont pitch is turn from the start and bounce. The seamers can use the bounce and at least be useful if they bowl well and the spinners play a part from the beginning. The batsmen have a chance if they play well (no to variable bounce) and its a spin challenge.

It NOT about dustbowls, its about spin and bounce. But to be honest they havent produced decent pitches in India for a while now.

ret

International Debutant
What would be the best team that Ind can field? I am not asking for a cricinfo probably 11 which is likely to play but the one that you think is the best one

First, what combination should Ind go for?
1. 7 batsmen, 2 pacers, 2 spinners
2. 6 batsmen, 3 pacers, 2 spinners
3. 6 batsmen, 1 bowling all-rounder, 4 bowlers

As for the top 6 batsmen: Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Dhoni (WK all-rounder) select themselves

Pacers: Zak and Ishant are in good form

Considering SA's perceived weakness against spin, 2 spinners would have to play. But the question is which ones? Bhajji and Ojha playing together is more suited to ODIs. A wkt taking spinner like Mishy has to get a look in for one of the spots. Also I have heard abt Ashwin

So here: Mishy + ?

And since we have 2 pacers + 2 spinners, what would be a better: an fast bowling all-rounder or a 7 (playing at #6) batsman or a 5th bowler in a pacer?

Here: ?

The contenders here would be (other suggestions are welcome):
Batsman: Yuvi, Badri, Kohli or even the new kid Pandey (well throw him in)
All-rounder bowing pace: Irfan Pathan (we miss Ganguly operating like a 3rd seamer and giving us vital break throughs)
Seamers: Sreesant (ability to swing/reverse at decent pace), Munaf (line and length stuff), Tyagi (unknown force)

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Well, I loves me some variable bounce on the last day of a test. Nothing like the drama of a high class bat countering some throatballs & torpedoes with both sides looking for a win.

Sir Alex

Banned

The perfect Sub Cont pitch is turn from the start and bounce. The seamers can use the bounce and at least be useful if they bowl well and the spinners play a part from the beginning. The batsmen have a chance if they play well (no to variable bounce) and its a spin challenge.

It NOT about dustbowls, its about spin and bounce. But to be honest they havent produced decent pitches in India for a while now.
Consistent bounce would make it a batting paradise if you possess a good back foot game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Low and slow is not useless if you know how to use it as a bowler.. See McGrath for an example. I understand that batsmen can easily apply themselves and keep blocking for a long time in such conditions but there are things you can do even in such conditions to get wickets.. To keep complaining never gets you anymore. Even a real flat track can be useful to get wickets with the right discipline, accuracy, captaincy and field settings... And India just won by an innings on two pretty subcontinental tracks against another subcontinent side..

VFE

Cricket Spectator
When has McGrath done well on low slow pitches?

Maybe he has, but not consistently I dont think. Not many bowlers do unless they posess reverse swing and searing pace.

He does have a good record in India, but the majority of his wickets there were not on low, slow pitches. In 2001 all the pitches had bounce (witness Harbhajans dismissals and hauls that series) and in 2004 they were also reasonable for the most part. Maybe spinning, but with bounce often.

Bounce gives a fair chance to bowlers and batsmen. Yes a good player can play off the back foot but they certainly cannot just sit there and a good bowler will get them if they do. Bounce isnt about the short ball in the ribs or the ball sitting up to be hit or the length ball bouncing just right, its about the bowler having his efforts and talents magnified and helping him get results.

Its the lack of bounce that makes current Sub Cont pitches for the most part rubbish.

VFE

Cricket Spectator
Well, I loves me some variable bounce on the last day of a test. Nothing like the drama of a high class bat countering some throatballs & torpedoes with both sides looking for a win.
Well yes, on some pitches at the moment I agree.

Would be better to have an even contest throughout with help for bowler and batsmen though. Probably not going to happen though!!

Sir Alex

Banned
Bounce gives a fair chance to bowlers and batsmen. Yes a good player can play off the back foot but they certainly cannot just sit there and a good bowler will get them if they do. Bounce isnt about the short ball in the ribs or the ball sitting up to be hit or the length ball bouncing just right, its about the bowler having his efforts and talents magnified and helping him get results.

Its the lack of bounce that makes current Sub Cont pitches for the most part rubbish.
Why have Australian surfaces turned into batting paradises over the last few years? I think that is mainly because not the bounce has gone out but that it has become predictable. I think you are talking things only from pace bowlers' point of view when you mention like "his efforts are rewarded etc".

Complete lack of bounce is a dreary pitch I admit. They make for some utterly unwatchable cricket like Ahmedabad test or the Bangalore test vs Pakistan in 2008. That is why I am always looking forward to spinning dens of the 90ss in India because they offer unexpected bounce. In 2001 series Kolkota and Chennai, especially the latter was all about that. Particularly remember Ricky Ponting's unfortunate struggles when he used to lunge forward to a length only to be shocked by rapidly rising one which invariably resulted in close in bat pad catches. To counter this when he went playing on the backfoot, out came the torpedo which caught him plumb near the ankles. Such pitches put into test the ability of the batsman to judge length and his horizontal bat play.

VFE

Cricket Spectator
I was thinking from a spinners view too. Generally they love bounce too.

Unpredictable bounce is better I agree but that goes for all bowlers and is unfair on the batsmen (though no more so than a flat track is for bowlers).

VFE

Cricket Spectator
I have to disagree that unpredictable bounce tests how good a batsmen is though. It just becomes a lottery.

True it can make for good matches on occasions but not overall. And some great players could cope with it but I am not sure its a prerequisite for greatness as such but maybe another way of proving it.

I am not sure many (if any) players now would be able to play unreliable bounce consistently or well.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could be an interesting Indian lineup for the first test with Dravid, Laxman, Yuvi and Sreesanth all struggling to be fit