• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India

Briony

International Debutant
India will win if they produce dustbowls. Later in the year you would expect SA to produce greentops at home.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well I hope they produce Dustbowls. Because even if they do not prepare dust bowls and end up winning, the pitches will be classified as Dust Bowls because of the result.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Dont SA have any actual openers in domestic cricket potentially pushing for a test place ATM?
Virus is in the squad and he opens domestically. As has Botha to pretty good success. Elgar, Puttick even Rossouw and Vandiar can open albeit only so far in limited overs cricket but they have the ability to bat anywhere. So there are opitions, its just that Procter, Smith and Fletcher are all big on Prince and they don't want him to bat in the middle order anymore.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it that they don't want him in the middle or that they want him in the team but he can't fit in the middle?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Virus is in the squad and he opens domestically. As has Botha to pretty good success. Elgar, Puttick even Rossouw and Vandiar can open albeit only so far in limited overs cricket but they have the ability to bat anywhere. So there are opitions, its just that Procter, Smith and Fletcher are all big on Prince and they don't want him to bat in the middle order anymore.
I think it's because they don't know where else to put Prince is the reason why he's opening.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Is it that they don't want him in the middle or that they want him in the team but he can't fit in the middle?
Two opposing camps apparently. Arthur wants the middle to lower order to be attacking minded which implies no Prince whilst as Ashwell use to be VC and is an experienced player, Procter doesn't want to dump him. A poor first test than that should be the end of Prince' international career but like Neil Mac, I fancy he will actually prefer opening in the subcontinent than batting five.

Prince supposedly doesn't get on with a lot of people in the side and has a strained relationship with the board, so it is surprising that Procter and Smith are batting for him.

Sir Alex

Banned
Well I hope they produce Dustbowls. Because even if they do not prepare dust bowls and end up winning, the pitches will be classified as Dust Bowls because of the result.
Should Sehwag score on them the term Flat would be annexed to it as well..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Word..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Fast bowlers can do well in dustbowls... FFS, low and slow conditions and variable bounce can be used by any good bowler..

SeamUp

International Coach
If memory serves me correct the last time I saw the new Nagpur ground it was AUS vs IND ODI and it looked like it had a fair bit of bounce and pace in it compared to the other Indian pitches. If it is the case it could be a very interesting test match and obviously Eden Gardens is very special and could inspire the SA boys playing there.

In the long term I think it would be beneficial for Indian cricket if they keep the new Nagpur stadiums pitch quicker and bouncier than the rest of the Indian pitches. Whether to play SA there now may not have been a wise idea though.

In SA and AUS our main 5 pitches are all different to one another and its extremely beneficial to the players games to be tested on differing pitches and Nagpur could be good for Indian cricket if it remains the way I saw it last.

mufc_1818

Cricket Spectator
dont you think loots bosman is due a chance to open in all forms of the game proven in one days and just as destructive as sehwag

SeamUp

International Coach
Loots Bosman is a T20 player really and at times can be destructive in the 50 over version but is definitely not a test cricketer. I think the SA selectors feel if he goes out early who cares but if he comes off its carnage and he won't use up too many balls. I think they may go to 6 batsman, keeper, Spinner, 3 quicks route.

1. SMITH
2. BOSMAN
3. KALLIS
4. AB
5. JP
6. GIBBS
7. BOUCHER
8. BOTHA
9.STEYN
10. PARNELL
11. M.MORKEL

40 overs from the bottom 4 and Kallis and JP to share 10 overs.

Briony

International Debutant
Prince looked ordinary against Swann so he may not be that great in the middle-order anyway. I read where there was a lot of tension after Prince was left out initially when fit again because Duminy had done so well. Prince thought that AB should return to opening after McKenzie was dropped but he didn't want to. Apparently he bad-mouthed de Villiers in a domestic game and got into heated discussions with several of the SA players. He's said to be quite strong-willed.