• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's been a bit of rain around the past few days and the forecast is for more overcast conditions. Might not be as good for spin as India would have hoped.

Uppercut

8 wickets at 21 against England would be the reason. But yeah, he is going to need to start making some more runs soon.
Hmm I suppose that's enough to buy him a few more matches. But it can't exactly keep him in the team indefinitely. I probably rate Ashwell Prince higher than most as a middle-order batsman because I think he's a game-changer. He scores big runs when the side are about 60/3 or 80/4. That's absolutely invaluable, as Australia have recently found out.

Sir Alex

Banned
I am all nerves. India really never "defended" no.1 titles successfully (last time they became No.1 in ODIs surrendered in the next series)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If Rohit Sharma plays ahead of Badrinath, I will not watch this Test. The poor guy has been the best player in India and has been begging for one shot, and if Rohit ****ing Sharma gets a shot over Badrinath, I will literally give up. If I were Badrniath, I'd go on a bat swinging spree through the selectors.

Sir Alex

Banned
If Rohit Sharma plays ahead of Badrinath, I will not watch this Test. The poor guy has been the best player in India and has been begging for one shot, and if Rohit ****ing Sharma gets a shot over Badrinath, I will literally give up. If I were Badrniath, I'd go on a bat swinging spree through the selectors.
I don't think they would.
Sehwag
Gambir
Vijay
Tendulkar
Laxman/Rohit
Bradri (I like that)
Dhoni
Ojha/Misra
Harby
Zak
Ishanth

If Lamxman is not there then Bradri would move upto No.5 and Rohit at No.6 or even no.7 if Dhoni, who is doing superbly with the bat might decide to assume more responsibility.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It might seem odd for a guy with over 13 000 Test runs, but this is an important series for Tendulkar. He's made a stack of runs against Bangladesh, now lets see how he goes against a better attack in South Africa who he only averages 35 against.

irfan

State Captain
Amped for this series - should really be a 3 test affair but with the late inclusion of the schedule you can understand why they could only put two in.

As popepouri mentioned, Steyn + Morkel vs. Sehwag + Gambhir is gonna be awesomee

One more thing

BADRIIIIIIIIIIIIII

morgieb

Why is JP Duminy's place never called into question? Prince is a much, much better number 6. Why not get a real opener in, put Prince where he belongs and leave out the little dude?
Scored runs against Australia. Therefore, people think he's gun.
Plus the fact that he took wickets against England.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes a very intriguing contest ahead, but my excitement for this is tempered by the fact it's only two Tests in length! I understand the reasons why, and I guess we should be grateful for what we have.

Very interesting to see how Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel go on a track that may prove a little disheartening as no quick bowler likes to see it dribble through to the keeper, who is standing much closer than normal. The vibes they are giving are good signs though, they realise that despite this, they have to hit the pitch hard to try and get any variable bounce out of the pitch as the Test progresses.

Big test for Sehwag, we've seen him plunder big runs in his typically belligerent fashion of late, against Sri Lanka, and to a lesser extent, Bangladesh. But this SA side will certainly test his capabilities against sharp pace, not that he hasn't proved capable of conquering this in the past.

Ashwell Prince is a man under pressure, but I do expect him to deliver, such is his character under pressure. JP Duminy is another that needs the confidence of a few big runs behind him. Yes his bowling was a bonus against England, and it may be a factor here, but he would swap those wickets for a big hundred in Nagpur.

On the balance of the sides, I am slightly edging towards SA for this one. Their batting has the edge over India's, with the injuries to Dravid, potentially Laxman, and Yuvraj. How the SA bowlers develop their skills of reverse swing may be crucial, as I don't anticipate either spinner (Harris or Botha) having a great say on proceedings.

SA's batsmen tried adopting a positive approach against Graeme Swann in the last series, and how they play Harbhajan and Chawla/Mishra will be good to see. Players like de Villiers I guess will always be positive. Bring on the start of the Test!!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't been excited to see a series not involving AUS or ENG since the IND vs SRI series 2005. May the best team win & hopefully the batsmen have a tough time..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why is JP Duminy's place never called into question? Prince is a much, much better number 6. Why not get a real opener in, put Prince where he belongs and leave out the little dude?
Or better yet, just open with Amla.

They didn't even bring a spare opener on the tour though; that's the weird thing. If they drop Prince (or drop Duminy and move Prince) Virus will open the batting and he's just yet another middle order batsman, albeit one who has done *some* opening before. For this reason I thought Elgar would've been the better selection but I might have just been brainwashed by jboss.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Or better yet, just open with Amla.

They didn't even bring a spare opener on the tour though; that's the weird thing. If they drop Prince (or drop Duminy and move Prince) Virus will open the batting and he's just yet another middle order batsman, albeit one who has done *some* opening before. For this reason I thought Elgar would've been the better selection but I might have just been brainwashed by jboss.
IIRC Pietersen does open domestically in SA.