• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Innings Batting vs. Australia in Australia (1990-2010)

HMas

U19 12th Man
Given that Australia has been the most dominant team in the last 20 years it is no surprise that batting against Australia in Australia was possibly the hardest proposition faced by batters around the world.

On top of that, batting in the 4th innings of a Test vs. Aus in Aus was an even more arduous task as batters were either in the midst of a huge run chase or fighting a desperate battle to save a Test under immense pressure from the Australians.

Its interesting to take a closer look at how batters around the world have managed to cope with the above over the last 20 years or so.

Here are the 4th innings stats (top 10 in terms of runs scored) of visiting batters to Australia in the period between Jan 1990 and Dec 2009.

Player-------------Mat------Inns------NO-----Runs-----HS-----Ave-----100----50

JH Kallis------------7---------6---------2------275-----101-----68.75----1------2
KC Sangakkara-----3---------3---------0------258------192----86.00-----1------1
GC Smith-----------6---------6--------0------241------108-----40.16----1------1
GA Gooch-----------5--------5--------0------233-------117-----46.60----1-----2
R Dravid------------7---------7--------2------212------72*-----42.40----0-----1
ST Jayasuriya-------4--------4--------0------195-------112-----48.75----1-----0
AB de Villiers--------5--------4--------1------182-------106*----60.66----1-----1
MA Atherton--------7--------7--------1-------179-------87-----29.83-----0----1
AJ Stewart----------8--------8--------2-------165------63*-----27.50----0----1
SC Ganguly----------6-------5---------0-------163------51------32.60----0----1

The following are the 4th innings stats of two of the modern game's greatest batsmen of all time when playing against Australia in Australia.

Player-------------Mat------Inns------NO-----Runs-----HS-----Ave-----100----50

SR Tendulkar--------8--------7--------0------138-------52----19.71------0-----1 :laugh:
BC Lara-------------9--------8--------0------101-------44----12.62------0-----0 :-O

Tendulkar's overall Avg vs. Australia in Australia is 58 but that drops to 19 in the 4th innings. Similarly Brian Lara's overall Avg vs. Australia in Australia is 43 but that drops to 12 in the 4th innings.

It's incredible to think that Brian Lara was unable to even get past 50 in eight 4th innings attempts.

sasnoz

Banned
in 2000 he was horribly out of form and 97 to a lesser extent and in 05 he got some horrible decisions, not a big fan of 4th innings stats steve waughs was pretty bad aswell

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Well batting in the fourth innings is generally tougher than batting in any other innings. Add the fact that most of the times, teams are chasing over 400 in the fourth innings against Austraila, add the fact that they are facing Warne, McGill, McGrath, Gillespie, Lee etc. Having said that..I still dont think that it justifies Tendulkar and Lara having this atrocious average..but guess its just one of the things you can put forward as weaknesses when talking about these masters.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Players from visiting sides struggled in matches against one of the best sides in Test history in their own backyard.

Film at 11.

The numbers above don't make me like Kallis either.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually I am truly surprised to see Kallis at the top of that list.. As much as I love the player...he has kind of underperformed against Australia..his average drops to 40 against them..and in matches when they required a big one..like in Melbourne last year..he failed.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well batting in the fourth innings is generally tougher than batting in any other innings. Add the fact that most of the times, teams are chasing over 400 in the fourth innings against Austraila, add the fact that they are facing Warne, McGill, McGrath, Gillespie, Lee etc. Having said that..I still dont think that it justifies Tendulkar and Lara having this atrocious average..but guess its just one of the things you can put forward as weaknesses when talking about these masters.
I'm not sure if it really is really a weakness. Of my head given that i saw basically all IND & WI tours to AUS since 96/97 i cant remember any circumstances where either WI or IND have an oppurtunity to win a test in AUS batting last, where these masters failed off my head right. Probably just a coincidence.

At least we know with Lara's 153* & Tendulkar 100+ vs ENG @ Chennai 08. That they where/are good in difficult 4th innings chases.

Top_Cat

Actually I am truly surprised to see Kallis at the top of that list.. As much as I love the player...he has kind of underperformed against Australia..his average drops to 40 against them..and in matches when they required a big one..like in Melbourne last year..he failed.
I'm no Kallis fan but this is a smidge harsh. His ton at Melbourne was a top-notch rearguard for one so inexperienced and his 60-odd at Adelaide was in a losing cause anyway. Did all he could, his team-mates failed him in terms of pushing for a win.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When one is considered as a failure against a country whose bowlers combined average about 25 over one's career, when one averages 40 against them, one is pretty awesome.

Top_Cat

When one is considered as a failure against a country whose bowlers combined average about 25 over one's career, when one averages 40 against them, one is pretty awesome.
Unless one didn't cash in when one was needed. :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Take out the poor AUS attack during the AUS leg of 08/09 series. His average drops to 36.92 vs AUS.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Given that Tendulkar averages like 90+ batting in the 1st/2nd innings of matches in Australia (with 6 100's,3 50's in 16 innings over 4 tours, so no statistical fluke) , if he had also averaged 40 or 50 in the 3rd/4th innings of a match (instead of ~ 25) - would've been considered minnow-bashing would it not:ph34r:

JBH001

International Regular
Players from visiting sides struggled in matches against one of the best sides in Test history in their own backyard.

Film at 11.

The numbers above don't make me like Kallis either.
Yeah. More stats to nitpick over. I am truly ecstatic.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You know you are dead right there. Kallis averages 55 with over 10000 runs. So when he averages 40 against Australia, he is under performing by his standards.