Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th Innings Batting vs. Australia in Australia (1990-2010)

4th Innings Batting vs. Australia in Australia (1990-2010)

Given that Australia has been the most dominant team in the last 20 years it is no surprise that batting against Australia in Australia was possibly the hardest proposition faced by batters around the world.

On top of that, batting in the 4th innings of a Test vs. Aus in Aus was an even more arduous task as batters were either in the midst of a huge run chase or fighting a desperate battle to save a Test under immense pressure from the Australians.

Its interesting to take a closer look at how batters around the world have managed to cope with the above over the last 20 years or so.

Here are the 4th innings stats (top 10 in terms of runs scored) of visiting batters to Australia in the period between Jan 1990 and Dec 2009.

Player-------------Mat------Inns------NO-----Runs-----HS-----Ave-----100----50

JH Kallis------------7---------6---------2------275-----101-----68.75----1------2
    KC Sangakkara-----3---------3---------0------258------192----86.00-----1------1
    GC Smith-----------6---------6--------0------241------108-----40.16----1------1
    GA Gooch-----------5--------5--------0------233-------117-----46.60----1-----2
    R Dravid------------7---------7--------2------212------72*-----42.40----0-----1
    ST Jayasuriya-------4--------4--------0------195-------112-----48.75----1-----0
    AB de Villiers--------5--------4--------1------182-------106*----60.66----1-----1
    MA Atherton--------7--------7--------1-------179-------87-----29.83-----0----1
    AJ Stewart----------8--------8--------2-------165------63*-----27.50----0----1
    SC Ganguly----------6-------5---------0-------163------51------32.60----0----1

The following are the 4th innings stats of two of the modern game's greatest batsmen of all time when playing against Australia in Australia.

Player-------------Mat------Inns------NO-----Runs-----HS-----Ave-----100----50

SR Tendulkar--------8--------7--------0------138-------52----19.71------0-----1
    BC Lara-------------9--------8--------0------101-------44----12.62------0-----0

Tendulkar's overall Avg vs. Australia in Australia is 58 but that drops to 19 in the 4th innings. Similarly Brian Lara's overall Avg vs. Australia in Australia is 43 but that drops to 12 in the 4th innings.

It's incredible to think that Brian Lara was unable to even get past 50 in eight 4th innings attempts.

Banned
    in 2000 he was horribly out of form and 97 to a lesser extent and in 05 he got some horrible decisions, not a big fan of 4th innings stats steve waughs was pretty bad aswell

I'm going to have to play the Yuvraj Singh card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

gwo
    U19 Debutant
    AB's figures horribly inflated cos of Perth (07?)

That said, it was an excellent knock.

Tendulkar the bottom of this list. Quite surprising nonetheless.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Well batting in the fourth innings is generally tougher than batting in any other innings. Add the fact that most of the times, teams are chasing over 400 in the fourth innings against Austraila, add the fact that they are facing Warne, McGill, McGrath, Gillespie, Lee etc. Having said that..I still dont think that it justifies Tendulkar and Lara having this atrocious average..but guess its just one of the things you can put forward as weaknesses when talking about these masters.

Kallis.

Kallis.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Players from visiting sides struggled in matches against one of the best sides in Test history in their own backyard.

Film at 11.

The numbers above don't make me like Kallis either.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 18-01-2010 at 08:32 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Actually I am truly surprised to see Kallis at the top of that list.. As much as I love the player...he has kind of underperformed against Australia..his average drops to 40 against them..and in matches when they required a big one..like in Melbourne last year..he failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Well batting in the fourth innings is generally tougher than batting in any other innings. Add the fact that most of the times, teams are chasing over 400 in the fourth innings against Austraila, add the fact that they are facing Warne, McGill, McGrath, Gillespie, Lee etc. Having said that..I still dont think that it justifies Tendulkar and Lara having this atrocious average..but guess its just one of the things you can put forward as weaknesses when talking about these masters.
    I'm not sure if it really is really a weakness. Of my head given that i saw basically all IND & WI tours to AUS since 96/97 i cant remember any circumstances where either WI or IND have an oppurtunity to win a test in AUS batting last, where these masters failed off my head right. Probably just a coincidence.

At least we know with Lara's 153* & Tendulkar 100+ vs ENG @ Chennai 08. That they where/are good in difficult 4th innings chases.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Actually I am truly surprised to see Kallis at the top of that list.. As much as I love the player...he has kind of underperformed against Australia..his average drops to 40 against them..and in matches when they required a big one..like in Melbourne last year..he failed.
    I'm no Kallis fan but this is a smidge harsh. His ton at Melbourne was a top-notch rearguard for one so inexperienced and his 60-odd at Adelaide was in a losing cause anyway. Did all he could, his team-mates failed him in terms of pushing for a win.

When one is considered as a failure against a country whose bowlers combined average about 25 over one's career, when one averages 40 against them, one is pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    When one is considered as a failure against a country whose bowlers combined average about 25 over one's career, when one averages 40 against them, one is pretty awesome.
    Unless one didn't cash in when one was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Take out the poor AUS attack during the AUS leg of 08/09 series. His average drops to 36.92 vs AUS.

International 12th Man
    Given that Tendulkar averages like 90+ batting in the 1st/2nd innings of matches in Australia (with 6 100's,3 50's in 16 innings over 4 tours, so no statistical fluke) , if he had also averaged 40 or 50 in the 3rd/4th innings of a match (instead of ~ 25) - would've been considered minnow-bashing would it not

4th innings statistics make Yuvraj an all-time great.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information