• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batsmen that have a good eye but not a good technique

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Marcus Trescothick
Herschelle Gibbs
Well you have your obvious ones like the above and Chris Gayle, but one I'd like to add that not many would think of would be Paul Collingwood. He's more known for his stickability than his eye but you'd need a seriously good eye to play with the technique he's adopted.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Phil Hughes. Awful, horrible, infuriating technique. Genuinely pains me to watch him, but he makes it work. Well, ish.

Fat Gray another, very bottom handed so always strangles his drives and looks a prime LBW candidate early on, but the BFF makes it work.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
KP is the biggest one, surely?

Chris Gayle and Sewhag don't have particularly bad techniques. People mistake being aggressive for having poor technique sometimes.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Exactly - someone define "good technique" for me, please?

I would place KP in the "****house shot selection" bracket rather than being undone by any technical shortcomings.

Himannv

International Coach
Chris Gayle and Sewhag don't have particularly bad techniques. People mistake being aggressive for having poor technique sometimes.
Agree about Gayle having decent technique but not Sehwag. Players like Sehwag and Dilshan purely rely on exceptional hand eye coordination. If you notice their feet, they hardly ever move much.

These days technique doesn't count for much anyway possibly due to the excess of short formats. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is whether you're successful or not.

Himannv

International Coach
Hmm, well I just feel that foot movement is a key part of proper technique in a cricketer. I dont mean it as an insult to Dilshan or Sehwag though. Their lack of foot movement isn't exactly a bad thing as a good hand to eye coordination more than makes up for their lack of foot movement. As is clearly evident in both their scenarios.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Exactly - someone define "good technique" for me, please?

I would place KP in the "****house shot selection" bracket rather than being undone by any technical shortcomings.
Always took it as someone who does the textbook basics well: plays straight, feet to the pitch of the ball, head in line, etc

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
KP is the biggest one, surely?

KP is like C'Paul, G Smith, Hughes, Lara etc. They are unorthodox rather than have any major technical flaws, when executing various shots they end up playing very textbook. Sometimes you may think you can get them out a certain way - but on most occassions their percieved weakness is a stenght i.e Smith on his pads.

Gayle & Sehwag on the other hand certainly have poor/average techniques for openers test openers facing quality new-ball bowling. An agrressive test opener with a proper technique would be Gordon Greenidge.

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Surely technique involves maximising the runs you can score/rate you score them at. If Sehwag or Gayle employ a 'technique' of minimal foot movement and stand-and-deliver and score more than they could do if they themselves used a textbook 'technique', a good eye can equal a good technique?

Might be different for some Sunday league third-team slogger though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Always took it as someone who does the textbook basics well: plays straight, feet to the pitch of the ball, head in line, etc
I'd call that "textbook" or "classical" rather than "good". Too many players have succeeded - and thrived - at the very top level with techniques you just wouldn't teach kids for me to be happy using the word "good".

These differences just alter the game a fraction: Graeme Smith's bat grip for instance, changes scoring arcs onto the leg side and makes you rethink as a bowler/fielder. It can work, but there is so much counter-balancing going on in your body to keep stability and control that it's something you don't teach.

This brings me to another coaching question that's come up to my mind of late, provoked I think by watching a Shane Watson pull at Sydney and also by reading a Cricinfo article on the age of the helmet - back foot technique, and whether I teach it to ten-year-olds or not, when they're never going to need to play off the back foot all summer and Gayle/Sehwag and friends make Test 300s without hook shots. Is that evolution or devolution?