• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

County and State Cricket Draft

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Well, to be honest, I've been waiting for a decent time to post this for a while now, however, as there's nearly always a draft on I might as well stick it on here now.

Basically, as the title suggests, the plan is to have a draft competition involving a county or state side of your choice. Obviously all of the players a participant selects would have to have played for the domestic team of their choice, in the first XI.

The selection order system I propose as is follows: for the first round, I will have a randomised order of participants: for the second round, the first person to pick in the first round moves to the back (i.e.becomes the last person to pick in round 2) and every other player moves up one (i.e. the second person to pick in round one is the first to pick in round two), and so on and so on. Because I intend this draft to have 12 rounds (First XI + twelfth man) I would like to have 12 participants in the draft, if possible, to ensure that my ordering system can work well (i.e.everyone going first and last at some point). Hope this makes sense to everyone!

Finally, when/if applying, can you put the side of your choice in the post with your username. I will then update this post with who's in. Would be appreciated. I really hope this thread idea can work, the draft threads are definitely my favourite part of Cricket Chat, and I hope that this thread can be as interesting as some of the others have been.

So, first up...Flyonthewall-Gloucestershire

Regards,
Joe.

Last edited:

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Damn, realised there's some stuff I missed out. One, just to reiterate, yes you can only pick players that have represented the county/state you chose at First XI level. Secondly, each side will be allowed just the one overseas player.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pothas - Hampshire, going to struggle against some other sides but had to be, wish I could get more than one more overseas player, sure I can't get Barry Richards as a Kolpak?:ph34r:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Forgive me if I've missed something really obvious, but if you can only pick players who have represented your side, surely anyone who is the only one with that side will just have a free choice? So they could just pick 11 players straight off?

Jarquis

Forgive me if I've missed something really obvious, but if you can only pick players who have represented your side, surely anyone who is the only one with that side will just have a free choice? So they could just pick 11 players straight off?
Some players may have represented more than one County/State though.

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Well there are plenty of great players who have represented more than one county or state over the years, and plus don't forget the overseas players rule which will rule a fair few out of contention.

See Marcuss got in ahead of me. You signing up mate?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Damn, realised there's some stuff I missed out. One, just to reiterate, yes you can only pick players that have represented the county/state you chose at First XI level. Secondly, each side will be allowed just the one overseas player.
What about guys like Bravo or Afridi who have represented a state at T20 level only?

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Oh dear, I seem to be missing out all kinds of Stuff. In answer to GiF's question, it's first-class cricket only we're considering.

Pothas

Pothas - Hampshire, going to struggle against some other sides but had to be, wish I could get more than one more overseas player, sure I can't get Barry Richards as a Kolpak?:ph34r:
Actually what are the rules on Kolpak players? Do they couny as overseas or not?

Think we should be allowed 2 as well to be fair.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
morgieb - Surrey.

Although I'd have preferred to go elsewhere, I would still have a heap of gun players to choose from though. :ph34r:

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With the one overseas player rule, what about players who played both as a local and an overseas player.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Well there are plenty of great players who have represented more than one county or state over the years, and plus don't forget the overseas players rule which will rule a fair few out of contention.

See Marcuss got in ahead of me. You signing up mate?
Plenty have represented more than one county or state, but you could select a brilliant Yorkshire side without really running the risk of anyone stealing one of your players. Just can't see there being much competition, as you like it though.