• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Difficult or easy to like England ?

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Englishmen behaving badly

It is hard to like the England cricket team, and not a man given to hard work, I have decided to take the easier alternative. I do have something of a headstart. Towards Swanny, Belly, Trotty, Cooky and the rest of them, their Twittering, their self-congratulation, their screaming like excited chimpanzees when one of their number catches a ball or ties his shoelace, I was already entirely indifferent. And recent events have provided plenty of fertiliser for the healthy antipathy I am cultivating towards the gentlemen who wear embroidered lions over their left nipple.
Take the upcoming tour of Bangladesh. A good opportunity to get some experience of Asian conditions? A chance to support the newest Test nation and give their supporters something to cheer about? Nope. It wasn’t so long ago, Mr Strauss that you were out in the wilderness of the shires, contemplating the futility of existence as you toiled away in front of two men and a dog. A handful of Test wins later and you’re suddenly too showbiz to go to Bangladesh. You need a rest. From what, exactly?
Page 2 | The Long Handle | Cricinfo.com

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now come on gentlemen play up, play up and play the game - we're Englishman don't you know - its not the winning that matters but the taking part

:yawn:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I do sympathise with the author, but to publish such a piece on a reputed website and imply that it is, in any way, rational, is absurd.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I do sympathise with the author, but to publish such a piece on a reputed website and imply that it is, in any way, rational, is absurd.
TBF Page 2 is cricinfo's home for humourous writing, so suspect the writer wasn't trying to be rational. Imagine his tongue was in his cheek.

Many a true word spoken in jest tho.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
TBF Page 2 is cricinfo's home for humourous writing, so suspect the writer wasn't trying to be rational. Imagine his tongue was in his cheek.

Many a true word spoken in jest tho.
I don't know, he did seem genuinely angry with the English cricket team.

Sir Alex

Banned
I love English cricket primarily because of the way they can laugh at themselves. They are an amazing bunch and when in form can steamroll any opposition but after doing so for a reasonable period of time they quite unbelievably settle back to mediocrity. As if apologising for being world beaters for a bit. Strange.

G.I.Joe

International Coach

Difficult or easy to like West Indies ?

It is hard to like the West Indies cricket team, and not a man given to hard work, I have decided to take the easier alternative. I do have something of a headstart. Towards Sammy, Gayle, Bravo and the rest of them, their Twittering, their self-congratulation, their screaming like excited chimpanzees when one of their number catches a ball or ties his shoelace, I was already entirely indifferent. And recent events have provided plenty of fertiliser for the healthy antipathy I am cultivating towards the gentlemen who wear embroidered palm trees over their left nipple.
........ A handful of T20 wins later and you’re suddenly too showbiz.........

OP to comment :detective

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hard to like them when men of the calibre of Stuart "I literally have no respect for the game" Broad are leaders in the side.