• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hashim Amla ~ Discussion

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Do you think Hashim Amla will become the next great batsmen? i know his average is around 40-41 but his technique is really good, I think he should average near 50 with this technique, He is still young and improving, i think he can do it. He is already averaging 47 in ODI's

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think the general concensus is that he has a pretty poor technique. However, he is capable of scoring runs despite this. Decent player but never going to challenge the games greats.

shivfan

Banned
I feel he'll average in the mid-40s in his career, which is quite good....

I don't think he'll be a great batsman, like Kallis, but he will certainly be an important batsman in the Saffer lineup.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you think Hashim Amla will become the next great batsmen?

i know his average is around 40-41 but his technique is really good, I think he should average near 50 with this technique, He is still young and improving, i think he can do it. He is already averaging 47 in ODI's
I think that he is a solid batsman and seems to have a good appreciation for how to build an innings. I'd class him as a mentally strong batsman and think that he has what it takes to become a top quality batsman. However, a prolonged slip in form, which is well within the realms of possibility, may see him dropped from the team and not to return - and I would not rule out such a possibility with a batsman of his technique.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Still not entirely convinced on Amla (he needs to do more than either keep getting starts and giving it away or combining big ones with nothing, or only scoring anything much on absolute rank roads), but certainly think he can be a good Test batsman.

Nothing more than that though.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
One of my favourite players. Nothing to dislike about him.
Agreed, the biggest concern for me is that he's super shaky for at least an hour when starting. The amount of times he's been dismissed just after a break is something that needs to be worked on. #3 is 1 position too high for him I think, espeically if SA can't fashion an opening partnership for toffee.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Three is one position too high for pretty much everyone in South Africa for ages. Apart from Kallis, who eventually decided four was better for him, no-one's made much of a fist of it since readmission. All of the likes of Cronje, Dippenaar, Prince etc. have found they've been best-off at five or so and Amla might well be the same.

Briony

International Debutant
He is solid, consistent and a wristy, fluent player. He could have better converted some of his starts in recent years but has proven a lot of his detractors wrong.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Graeme Smith, AB de Villers & JP Duminy have better chances at being alltime greats, Jacques Kallis is an alltime great and Ashwell Prince has a higher batting average then him. And that's just the team that Amla plays in. He'll end up like a Damien Martyn. Good batsman that played in a strong team.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
He does? I thought Prince was averaging 46. Opening must have dented that rather largerly.

Also, I don't think JP will be a great nor a SA Test cricketer for much longer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't write-off Duminy like that - he's got a hell of a lot of time ahead of him to come back from his post-maiden-series slump. I for one fully expect him to.

As for Amla, I retained doubts about him until the 2008/09 season (until then he basically just cashed-in massively on rank roads and did very little on decks with anything much in them for seamers) but I think we can now fairly safely call him a Test-standard player... I think.

Debris

International 12th Man
One thing about Amla is that I think he looks like a natural number 3. This increases his value a fair bit because the spot is so hard to fill. Ponting is the only other natural number 3 I can think of. All the other test sides have someone who looks a bit out of place at number 3.