• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hashim Amla ~ Discussion

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cant believe that the Indians didnt watch or ignored (maybe just werent good enough) what everyone else sees

Early on, he plays across everything and a full, straight ball is generally good enough

I expect him to average late 30s/early 40s over his career and that will do justice to what is a pretty poor technique for a top order player

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
wow, when i made this thread some two weeks he was averaging 40, now he is near 47. nice, he is indeed the new wall
Some people at Eden were also stupidly saying that he is the new Dravid. It will take a few more innings though, as Richard said.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I met him when he last toured with South Africa to Calcutta. He is genuinely nice. That much I can say. Happy to see him do well. :)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you were picking a World XI on form Amla would be your number 3 atm. Liked what I saw of him last time he came to Australia, could absolutely plunder runs next time he comes here.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cant believe that the Indians didnt watch or ignored (maybe just werent good enough) what everyone else sees

Early on, he plays across everything and a full, straight ball is generally good enough

I expect him to average late 30s/early 40s over his career and that will do justice to what is a pretty poor technique for a top order player
Disagree highly. He has tightened himself up a lot.

funnygirl

State Regular
what is the big deal,he scored on ''roads'' against mediocre starless bowling attack:ph34r:

Seriously he was awesome in this series.A very calm cool head on his shoulders.

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Disagree highly. He has tightened himself up a lot.
yeah i agree with you, people are putting him down for no good reason, i agree this his technique might not match up to Ponting, Dravid or Tendulker yet, but he has shown to be a really mentally strong player, i mean only very few batsmen outthere can bat for so long in as he did in both tests. One of the best things i like about him is that he rarely hits the shots in the air, 90% of his shots are grounded.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ive always been a bit of a fan.

From nearly 4 years ago

You mention the reasons why I would put Amla far ahead of Duminy and why I think Duminy is a long way from a test cap (Im not saying he wont get one but if he des it is for reasons other than cricket).

Amla has the temperament to succeed. Duminy looks great but is not a consistent player and probably does not have close to what it takes mentally to make it as a Test player.

Duminy can be destructive, but more important at Test level is to play a couple (maybe 3-4) shots well and keep it tight in other areas. Duminy is prone to too many mistakes and I do not think is capable of averaging over 35 during a long test career.

The reason Duminy looks so good is also he main weakness. He is exciting but he has to reign himself in. It would be easy to say that he can learn that with experience, but good decision making is part of a players character and cannot easily be taught.
It isnt about if you have a techincal fault or not but how you find a work around to that fault and lessen its impact.

I dont think he will be one of the greats but he will be a very good Test player. Just also to note, he will have a really bad run at some point in the future where people will bring up his technique. All cricketers have those patches and I will not worry when it happens.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Classical batsman......he will cross 50 batting avg. easily......and will end his career in that....

why? not that he has perfect technique..but because he has the temprament of a test batsman.....

JBH001

International Regular
His peak, thus far. I have not seen the guy bat since the SA tour of Australia, but from the sounds of it, what he does seem to have is tremendous mental strength. That can cover for a whole lot of technical deficiences. A great technique is often over-stated, imo, probably because it looks so damn good. But really, a competent technique allied to great mental strength is better. Amla seems to have this.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Technique isnt overrated, but certainly certain aspects of batting technique are way overrated these days. If a batsmen shuffles across outside offstump, there is nothing technically wrong with this. The real problem occurs when you really plant your front foot down hard across before the ball is bowled, this makes u susceptible to LBWs from incoming deliveries and having to play around the bat.

It doesnt matter how much you shuffle across, so long as you are still nimble, able to move, balanced and able to react after the ball is bowled.

Amla has excellent temperament and also very good technique. There is absolutely no reason he shouldnt average in the 50s given the surfaces today.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Hash's escapades in India have moved him up to #2 in the Test rankings. Hope he can nail down a spot in the ODI side, had enough of Gibbs' consistent inconsistency & Loots is even more hit & miss.

His record's actually still pretty good in ODIs, averages 47 at a strike rate of 80something. Admittedly he did have some trouble against Aus, leading to his axing.