Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hashim Amla ~ Discussion

International 12th Man
    Graeme Smith, AB de Villers & JP Duminy have better chances at being alltime greats, Jacques Kallis is an alltime great and Ashwell Prince has a higher batting average then him. And that's just the team that Amla plays in. He'll end up like a Damien Martyn. Good batsman that played in a strong team.

Amla averages more than Prince.

pedantic.com

State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar
    He does? I thought Prince was averaging 46. Opening must have dented that rather largerly.

Also, I don't think JP will be a great nor a SA Test cricketer for much longer.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Don't write-off Duminy like that - he's got a hell of a lot of time ahead of him to come back from his post-maiden-series slump. I for one fully expect him to.

As for Amla, I retained doubts about him until the 2008/09 season (until then he basically just cashed-in massively on rank roads and did very little on decks with anything much in them for seamers) but I think we can now fairly safely call him a Test-standard player... I think.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

One thing about Amla is that I think he looks like a natural number 3. This increases his value a fair bit because the spot is so hard to fill. Ponting is the only other natural number 3 I can think of. All the other test sides have someone who looks a bit out of place at number 3.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    One thing about Amla is that I think he looks like a natural number 3. This increases his value a fair bit because the spot is so hard to fill. Ponting is the only other natural number 3 I can think of. All the other test sides have someone who looks a bit out of place at number 3.
    Younis Khan? Rahul Dravid? Kumar Sangakkara?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post
    Would much prefer Sanga or Younis at 4 tbh. Dravid's a natural number 3 for mine though.

Still, it's a notoriously difficult position to fill.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

The fact that Ponting and Dravid are two of the best no. 3s of recent times, and yet have very little similarity in the way they play, suggests there isn't a type for a no. 3 in my opinion.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    The fact that Ponting and Dravid are two of the best no. 3s of recent times, and yet have very little similarity in the way they play, suggests there isn't a type for a no. 3 in my opinion.

Thats because on looks Dravid is an opener.

Yeah sure, but the fact that he's had a great career at no. 3 tells me that a certain type of player isn't necessarily perfect for no. 3 than another.

Ponting is perhaps the ultimate no. 3, in that he is the best counter-attacking no. 3 of recent times, plus can see off some great opening spells if he comes in early. But I don't really get why (not saying Uppercut is wrong) Younis Khan is more a no. 4 than a no. 3. Kallis batted no. 4 but was a no. 3 for a while.

I personally feel Sanga is the closest thing to Ponting in terms of doing what a no. 3 can do (defend plus counter attack), so I'd want him in as early as possible, rather than at no. 4.
    Last edited by Jono; 07-02-2010 at 07:26 AM.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Beard issue still needs to be addressed, tbh. Overshadows everything else he does.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post

Add Jacques Kallis to that..he used to bat at 3. Add Brian Lara to that, he used to bat at 3 too.

I think Amla is a pretty decent player..he does have a bit of a weakness against quick bowlers earlier on, especially if the new ball is moving and that is a bit of a disadvantage for a number 3 player..but I still like him as a player..he can improve..

Those who are writing of Duminy will soon be hailing him when he gets a big 100 again because its only a matter of time. There is a reason why he got batted the way he did in Australia in 08. He is that damn good...he is going through a slump..this kind of thing happens in cricket..no need to write him off.

PS..BoyBrumby, that quote by Simon Barnes is a ripper!!

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I think the general concensus is that he has a pretty poor technique.
    No.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
    He does? I thought Prince was averaging 46. Opening must have dented that rather largerly.
    Yeah it has. He got 150 against Australia but hasn't done too well there since.

Banned
    ya he is very good player and his bating style is very good he is great batsman

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information