• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hashim Amla ~ Discussion

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
One thing about Amla is that I think he looks like a natural number 3. This increases his value a fair bit because the spot is so hard to fill. Ponting is the only other natural number 3 I can think of. All the other test sides have someone who looks a bit out of place at number 3.
Younis Khan? Rahul Dravid? Kumar Sangakkara?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The fact that Ponting and Dravid are two of the best no. 3s of recent times, and yet have very little similarity in the way they play, suggests there isn't a type for a no. 3 in my opinion.

The fact that Ponting and Dravid are two of the best no. 3s of recent times, and yet have very little similarity in the way they play, suggests there isn't a type for a no. 3 in my opinion.

Thats because on looks Dravid is an opener.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah sure, but the fact that he's had a great career at no. 3 tells me that a certain type of player isn't necessarily perfect for no. 3 than another.

Ponting is perhaps the ultimate no. 3, in that he is the best counter-attacking no. 3 of recent times, plus can see off some great opening spells if he comes in early. But I don't really get why (not saying Uppercut is wrong) Younis Khan is more a no. 4 than a no. 3. Kallis batted no. 4 but was a no. 3 for a while.

I personally feel Sanga is the closest thing to Ponting in terms of doing what a no. 3 can do (defend plus counter attack), so I'd want him in as early as possible, rather than at no. 4.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Younis Khan? Rahul Dravid? Kumar Sangakkara?

Add Jacques Kallis to that..he used to bat at 3. Add Brian Lara to that, he used to bat at 3 too.

I think Amla is a pretty decent player..he does have a bit of a weakness against quick bowlers earlier on, especially if the new ball is moving and that is a bit of a disadvantage for a number 3 player..but I still like him as a player..he can improve..

Those who are writing of Duminy will soon be hailing him when he gets a big 100 again because its only a matter of time. There is a reason why he got batted the way he did in Australia in 08. He is that damn good...he is going through a slump..this kind of thing happens in cricket..no need to write him off.

PS..BoyBrumby, that quote by Simon Barnes is a ripper!!

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Graeme Smith, AB de Villers & JP Duminy have better chances at being alltime greats, Jacques Kallis is an alltime great and Ashwell Prince has a higher batting average then him. And that's just the team that Amla plays in. He'll end up like a Damien Martyn. Good batsman that played in a strong team.
now after this 253* Amla is averaging more then De Villers and Prince and Duminy is no where near him, his average is only 32

gap2

Banned
Hashim Amla - The new wall?

Without a doubt Hashim Amla has secured his Test place, its only a matter of time before he is a permanent fixture in the ODI side.

He seems to be one of the most calm and composed batsman today and very modest.

Which South African batsman (past/current) does he most remind you off?

Which International batsman does he compare best with and where do you think his future is heading.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which South African batsman (past/current) does he most remind you off?
None. There has been no South African batsman remotely like him since readmission. I'm not familiar enough with many if any of the pre-isolation batsmen to be able to compare.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
3 innings' don't prove very much, he's experienced such astronomical average jumps before now as well.

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
^ well clearly he was the best batsmen of the series, his defense is just amazing, now i agree he has to continue like this, he has been great over the last 2 years