• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranji Trophy is the new ICL

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I read the headline a few hours ago and thought it was serious. Thought on it a lot but it didn't make sense. Then I saw Page 2 written beside it.

I was thinking about the Ranji Trophy. As IPL brings into prominence more Indian players local trophies like Ranji and Duleep will only increase in stature which is excellent.

NEO is doing a fabulous job broadcasting these first class games and other domestic tournaments.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Seriously though, FC cricket in India will be much better off with a system similar to the one in RSA. Franchise system. Allowing maybe a couple of overseas players to play in the domestic FC tournament might do some good too.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Seriously though, FC cricket in India will be much better off with a system similar to the one in RSA. Franchise system. Allowing maybe a couple of overseas players to play in the domestic FC tournament might do some good too.
AWTA

z

Shri

Mr. Glass
Its win-win really, privately owned teams are always going to look for results at any cost and they will try and get the top prize at the tournament and business deals. If they want to do that, home teams will start abandoning the batting tracks and start making pitches that gives their side the advantage(pace or spin or batting). After a few years we will see players adapting to the conditions and we will start to produce better players.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its win-win really, privately owned teams are always going to look for results at any cost and they will try and get the top prize at the tournament and business deals. If they want to do that, home teams will start abandoning the batting tracks and start making pitches that gives their side the advantage(pace or spin or batting). After a few years we will see players adapting to the conditions and we will start to produce better players.
Obviously you do not follow American sports where finances are far more important than winning and trading your best player is worth saving $5 in three seasons time.

There are advantages to franchises but the desire to win is not one of them. Private teams do not look for results first, they look at the bottom line. No private enterprize based in reality (ie not including EPL) would gamble on success.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Metallics, you are spot on. I like the idea a lot. In fact I will email it to Lalit Modi...

Shri

Mr. Glass
Obviously you do not follow American sports where finances are far more important than winning and trading your best player is worth saving $5 in three seasons time.

There are advantages to franchises but the desire to win is not one of them. Private teams do not look for results first, they look at the bottom line. No private enterprize based in reality (ie not including EPL) would gamble on success.
Not familiar with any American sport and much less their franchise system tbh. Got a feeling it could work, that is all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's been said plenty of times by those who follow cricket in many countries - both in terms of using a franchise system and in terms of reducing the number of domestic sides.

Historical traits of domestic cricket teams have been the way they are for reasons. I'm not a fan of the franchise system in South Africa and hope it permeats as few other countries as possible - ideally 0.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

:mad2:

My all-time least favourite abbreviation.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
:mad2:

My all-time least favourite abbreviation.
Lol, I remember when you cracked it at me for using it in Sports Forum when we were debating how stupidly predictable the league is :ph34r:

It's what its advertised as internationally. Blame them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Lol, I remember when you cracked it at me for using it in Sports Forum when we were debating how stupidly predictable the league is :ph34r:

It's what its advertised as internationally. Blame them.
You sure that wasn't me? :ph34r:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Historical traits of domestic cricket teams have been the way they are for reasons. I'm not a fan of the franchise system in South Africa and hope it permeats as few other countries as possible - ideally 0.
Curious. Why are you not a fan of the franchise system Rich?