• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL - Availability of Australian Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Aussie players could miss IPL | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2010 | Cricinfo.com

This is just disgraceful. It's not like Indians are specifically targeted, aren't they!? The Indian media beat-up is a load of ****! 8-) :@
WE get an attack every day and all the coppers say is "it is not racial".. Well, maybe it is not, but can't someone ****ing do something about it????? Nothing has happened and there is a lot of dissatisfaction within India about the way the Aussie Government is handling it, mainly, the fact that they are perhaps not giving it the importance it deserves..

I dunno about what is going on in Australia but when something keeps happening against people of a certain nationality, questions are bound to be raised.

EDIT: Juz to clarify, I don't think banning Aussie players from IPL is worth anything. Of course, they should play as they have nothing to do with this.. If this thing boils up to a Government level dissatisfaction, then it would obviously be a different case altogether. But as of now, this is just a radical opinion of Shiv Sena who need such statements to make the headlines these days.

Last edited:

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
In protest of this "Australians cannot play" garbage, all our players should just boycott the entire thing. We have better things to try to comply with crap like this.

I kind of feel for the young guys who would have recieved a nice little paycheck. But I have no doubt Ponting, Warne, Hayden and other well-in the-pocket Aussies will have enough pride in themselves and this country not to put up with such nonsense.

And on a side note, the terrorists involved in the 2008 Mumbai massacres were supposedly from Pakistan. Why not ban Pakistani players from the IPL too?

R_D

International Debutant
In protest of this "Australians cannot play" garbage, all our players should just boycott the entire thing. We have better things to try to comply with crap like this.

I kind of feel for the young guys who would have recieved a nice little paycheck. But I have no doubt Ponting, Warne, Hayden and other well-in the-pocket Aussies will have enough pride in themselves and this country not to put up with such nonsense.

And on a side note, the terrorists involved in the 2008 Mumbai massacres were supposedly from Pakistan. Why not ban Pakistani players from the IPL too?
In case you didn't know.. the Pakistani players did not play the last IPL.

Anyway.. its Shiv Sena.. biggest scumbags. They only really have some influence in Mumbai and that too has been going down in last few years.... so they try and make comments like these to stay in the Media. Always trying to get political milage out of the most recent hotly debated topics.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Shiv Sena is rubbish. Bal Thakeray said Mumbai is just for Marathis and Tendulkar called him out on it which made Thakeray look ridiculous.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If Aussie players don't play, it will be a load of crap. I was pissed the Pakistanis didn't play last time too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

They were banned last year...

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Wouldn't be too worried about these threats.

From what I've heard, this movement is trying to stir up populist nationalistic sentiment. Attacking cricketers is not a good way to go about that in India.

Quite different from Pakistan, where the Pakistani Taliban and their allies hated cricket and didn't care what the public thought.

Matt79

Global Moderator
WE get an attack every day and all the coppers say is "it is not racial".. Well, maybe it is not, but can't someone ****ing do something about it????? Nothing has happened and there is a lot of dissatisfaction within India about the way the Aussie Government is handling it, mainly, the fact that they are perhaps not giving it the importance it deserves..

I dunno about what is going on in Australia but when something keeps happening against people of a certain nationality, questions are bound to be raised.

EDIT: Juz to clarify, I don't think banning Aussie players from IPL is worth anything. Of course, they should play as they have nothing to do with this.. If this thing boils up to a Government level dissatisfaction, then it would obviously be a different case altogether. But as of now, this is just a radical opinion of Shiv Sena who need such statements to make the headlines these days.
Tbh, T_C has already responded to this kind of concern better than I can: http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2123844-post418.html, but by all means respond like Pavlov's dogs to what the tv tells you to get upset about.

Charming thread title by the way.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Aussie players could miss IPL | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2010 | Cricinfo.com

This is just disgraceful. It's not like Indians are specifically targeted, aren't they!? The Indian media beat-up is a load of ****! 8-) :@
The kindest analogy that you can make for the Shiv Sena and Bal Thackeray is with someone like Jean-Marie Le Pen in France. I bet many countries have someone like that. The worst one is of course with someone Thackeray has expressed (potentially veiled) admiration for: Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party.

If it had not been for coalition politics in India, this guy would've had much less of a platform than he's managed to wrangle (once upon a time allied with one big party, now with another). Even so, (and a sign that democracy works) he's been unable to win state government elections in his backyard after his party massively bungled administration in the early 90s.Hasn't been even able to keep his political brood together with 4-5 high profile defections over the years.

He does not speak for India or for a vast majority of Indians. He speaks about cricket because it gets attention. (Which is not to dismiss the danger he and his ilk pose to the Indian polity or the depravity of a lot of his pronouncements.)

p.s. Pakistani players in IPL 2009 was different. Though also perhaps not the right thing to do, that had much wider political support - the context there is the utter failure (or downright refusal) of the Pakistan government to do anything substantial about the Nov 2008 attacks on Mumbai. Analogy would be the Olympic boycotts of 1980 & 1984.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Begs the question of how TF CricInfo are so ill-informed.

That article, according to what Indian posters here have said, would be the equivalent of the BNP claiming Pakistan Tests shouldn't be allowed to be hosted in England next summer because, well, nothing with connections to Pakistan should be allowed to call the UK home or whatever bull**** they can think of on their next whim - and CricInfo then posting a piece about how the Pakistan-Australia Tests next summer might be cancelled.

Sir Alex

Banned
Wouldn't be too worried about these threats.

From what I've heard, this movement is trying to stir up populist nationalistic sentiment. Attacking cricketers is not a good way to go about that in India.

Quite different from Pakistan, where the Pakistani Taliban and their allies hated cricket and didn't care what the public thought.
I agree with this. While Shivasena stupids' involvment is not the first (they dug up once a pitch and threatened to kill Pakistanis should they tour India, but Pakistan indeed toured India), they are just empty vessels that make a lot of sound. I am sick Australian and general cricket media are hyping up this like anytthing.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
In case you didn't know.. the Pakistani players did not play the last IPL.

Anyway.. its Shiv Sena.. biggest scumbags. They only really have some influence in Mumbai and that too has been going down in last few years.... so they try and make comments like these to stay in the Media. Always trying to get political milage out of the most recent hotly debated topics.
Well put,

Its all politics guys. I don't think anyone is banning Australian players from the IPL. It should be fine. Shiv Sena is a right wing Indian political party.

When their party BJP was in the gov. Pakistan and India had the best ties an atmosphere of friendship and humility was rising. As soon as BJP is on the opposition desks, they start pressuring the Congress party on how close they are with Pakistan and their goes the whole friendship building process.

Its all politics. Aussies should be fine.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
The kindest analogy that you can make for the Shiv Sena and Bal Thackeray is with someone like Jean-Marie Le Pen in France. I bet many countries have someone like that. The worst one is of course with someone Thackeray has expressed (potentially veiled) admiration for: Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party.

If it had not been for coalition politics in India, this guy would've had much less of a platform than he's managed to wrangle (once upon a time allied with one big party, now with another). Even so, (and a sign that democracy works) he's been unable to win state government elections in his backyard after his party massively bungled administration in the early 90s.Hasn't been even able to keep his political brood together with 4-5 high profile defections over the years.

He does not speak for India or for a vast majority of Indians. He speaks about cricket because it gets attention. (Which is not to dismiss the danger he and his ilk pose to the Indian polity or the depravity of a lot of his pronouncements.)

p.s. Pakistani players in IPL 2009 was different. Though also perhaps not the right thing to do, that had much wider political support - the context there is the utter failure (or downright refusal) of the Pakistan government to do anything substantial about the Nov 2008 attacks on Mumbai. Analogy would be the Olympic boycotts of 1980 & 1984.
Lets stay on the topic here......don't want to get into an Indo-Pak argument. Not here....

Shri

Mr. Glass
Well put,

Its all politics guys. I don't think anyone is banning Australian players from the IPL. It should be fine. Shiv Sena is a right wing Indian political party.

When their party BJP was in the gov. Pakistan and India had the best ties an atmosphere of friendship and humility was rising. As soon as BJP is on the opposition desks, they start pressuring the Congress party on how close they are with Pakistan and their goes the whole friendship building process.

Its all politics. Aussies should be fine.
Haha, you do realize Modi, the former Gujarat CM and a leading member of the BJP orchestrated the train burnings some years back and tried to pin it on so called "Pakistani terrorists"? You dont know much about Indian politics, hell, its been 61 years since our government was formed and WE dont understand it.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.