• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player of the Decade - Ponting

Jack88

Cricket Spectator
Well looks like he's about the celebrate this with a nice century. Top player, could of been of the 3/4 and I don't think anyone would have any argument.

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
The Top 10

Ricky Ponting 60 points (13 No. 1s, 6 No. 2s, 9 No. 3s)
Jacques Kallis 37 (5, 9, 4)
Adam Gilchrist 29 (7, 3, 2)
Muttiah Muralitharan 27 (3, 5, 8)
Glenn McGrath 24 (3, 5, 5)
Sachin Tendulkar 23.5 (3, 5, 4.5)
Shane Warne 20.5 (3. 5. 1.5)
Brian Lara 3 (1, 0, 0)
Rahul Dravid 2 (0, 0, 2)
Shivnarine Chanderpaul 1 (0, 0, 1)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Makes sense. Hard to argue. Muralitharan, Kallis should be closer though, if not ahead.

But you can't say it wasn't undeserved.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well Deserved. I think the only real competition to Ponting was from Murali.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well deserved. Best batsman of the decade and the most successful (not the best) captain of the decade.

Zinzan

Ponting's totally deserved for mine...struggling to see why Tendulkar's so high though...has he even been one of the top 4 batsmen of the decade? (not counting anything pre 2000).

morgieb

Ponting's totally deserved for mine...struggling to see why Tendulkar's so high though...has he even been one of the top 4 batsmen of the decade? (not counting anything pre 2000).
Cricinfo seems to be surprisingly Indian based, so there's probably biasness in there. Plus, he's overrated due to past exploits.

howardj

International Coach
A batsman gets it for dominating on flat pitches.

Murali and Kallis head and shoulders for mine.

Howsie

International Captain
Cricinfo seems to be surprisingly Indian based, so there's probably biasness in there. Plus, he's overrated due to past exploits.
No way

Probably would of gone for Kallis myself but you can't argue with Ponting.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
How come Gilchrist selected over Murali?
Gilchrist is in a lot of people's all-time XIs as a keeper-batsman and he only played 5 tests before 2000. Most of Murali's best efforts came after 2000 too of course, but Gilchrist played his entire career in the 2000s and it's not hard to see why people would consider him one of the best players of the decade.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally would have gone for Kallis, but Ponting has had such a combination of individual and team success he's a deserved winner.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Muralitharan's 3-5-8 breakdown is interesting. Surely if there were 16 people who thought fit to include him in the top 3, he should have been right at #1 on more lists than just 3 of those. He's been doing something unparalled in the modern game. Ponting's a good call for the top 3, but a batsman averaging 55 surely isn't a greater phenomenon than a spiner averaging 21 over 500+ wickets.