• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2006 u/19 World Cup - Where are they now?

Craig

World Traveller
Just looking at the 2006 U/19 World Cup, and seeing the players and seeing how many have gone on, and some who haven't made it:

ICC u/19 CWC Squads - kaputa.com

Australia:

Jack McNamara (vic_othdox) still posts on here and part of the crack team of mods on this site. David Warner has played ODIs and is in the Australian T20 team, Ben Cutting has played FC cricket for QLD and has a best bowling of 6/37. Hailing from Portugal but is very much Australian, Moises Henriques, is now playing for NSW, played two ODIs for Australia and one T20, also signed by the Kolkata Knight Riders. Aaron Finch, played one FC game for Victoria against the touring Indian team in 2007, made more of a mark in the FRC and the KFC Big Bash. Tom Cooper, played a few games for SA, despite orginally coming from NSW.

Usman Khawaja, who was born in Islamabad, is now playing for NSW, and some tip him to have made his Test debut by the end of the year. Matthew Wade, orginally from Tasmania, and who he made his List A debut for Tasmania, moved to Victoriam and continues to play all three formats for the Bushrangers.

South Africa:

Craig Kieswetter has since left for Somerset and there is a chance he could make his debut for England this year, even taking his mediorce FC record away from Taunton (got that from BB and zaremba). I guess the ECB does have to fill a quaota of South African born Englishmen in the team (those who didn't move as a child, like Strauss or Prior, and I think their parents are English anyway). Wayne Parnell has made his ODI debut for South Africa, looksl ike he has a bit of promise, and was called into the South African Test squad, even with his poor FC form this season.

New Zealand:

Tim Southee and Martin Guptil have since made their Test debuts for New Zealand. Southee took 5 wickets in an innings on Test debut and blasted 77* against England, and despite being dropped three times in the process, Guptil scored an unbeaten century on his ODI debut against the West Indies. I believe most of the squad are now playing FC cricket.

India:

Piyush Chawla has played Tests for India, in fact he made his Test debut and played his last Test in 2008. Hard to believe he is still only 21. Rohit Sharma has played ODIs for India. Ravindra Jadeja has gone onto play ODI and T20's for India, and is a part of the Rajasthan Royals IPL franchise. Debabrata Das has signed for the KKR, but is yet to make his FC debut. Has a s/r of over 100 in T20 cricket, but his average is mere 17.

Sri Lanka:

Angelo Mathews has since gone onto play Tests and ODIs for Sri Lanka.

Bangladesh:

CW cult hero and the legend that is Shakib Al Hasan, has not only played Tests, ODI, and T20's for Bangladesh, but is also the captain, and probably their best player. Has a very good Test, FC (yes I know), ODI bowling record, and what you could say is a decent T20 Econ rate. Has four ODI centuries, and very nearly beat New Zealand in a Test, all thanks to him. Tamim Iqbal, and Mushfiqur Rahim have also played Tests for Bangladesh.

West Indies:

Kemar Roach has since played Tests for the West Indies, and really looks like their best fast bowling prospect in a number of years. Still only 21 and can get up to 150km/h, he has also injured Ricky Ponting. Some on here have tipped him to get 300-400 Test wickets. Kieron Pollard is a big hitting all-rounder, entertaining the masses for South Australia in the KFC Big Bash. Seriously some of the sixes he has hit at the Adelaide Oval were monstrous. Andre Fletcher I believe has played for the West Indies in that time.

Ireland:

Eoin morgan has sinced played ODI's for both Ireland and England.

Pakistan:

Sarfraz Ahmed has been called into the Pakisan Test team on their tour of Australia.

NOTE (please read!!!!!!!!!!!): I have only done the countries and players that I am fimilar with, and those that have made it to Test, ODI, International T20 level. So apologies for players and countries I have missed. I am not aware of any of the England, Pakistan, or South African cricketers who have since played for their respective countries (excluding Parnell and Kieswetter who wants to play for England). Nor do I know too much about the Sri Lankan or Bangladeshi players, and in particular the amount of Sri Lankan players who have been making their ODI debuts.

So once again I do sincerely apologise if I have missed players and/or countries, I am only one person. So feel free for the fans of each country to fill in the details if you like.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doubt Strauss has English parents, although Prior's dad is English IIRC.

Lovin' that Jack got a mention.

morgieb

From Zimbabwe, Graeme Cremer, Sean Williams, Friday Katseni, Keegan Meth & Ryan Higgins have played international cricket.

morgieb

Nasir Jamshed has played international cricket for Pakistan, and Anwar Ali has played 1 T20 international.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tissara Perera has played for Sri Lanka a couple days ago. The rest of guys have all played FC cricket.

morgieb

To add to that, I notice the names of Nelon Pascal, Justice Chibabha and Dolar Mahmud have played international cricket, and Dean Elgar and Chestewatar(sp?) Pujara are thought of very highly.

morgieb

Don't forget Jon Holland was picked for Australia's tour of India a few months back.

Howsie

International Captain
I believe most of the squad are now playing FC cricket
Four of the 13 memeber squad haven't played first-class cricket yet, four others have played first-class cricket but only a handful of games over the last four years. Todd Astle, Hamish Bennett, Martin Guptill, Keiran Noema-Barnett and Tim Southee are the only players that have really played a good amount of first-class cricket.

morgieb

Yeah, but I thought for some reason his mother would be South African too! Shows my ignorance on that part.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
There are loads of Bangladeshi internationals in that squad: Shakib Al Hasan, Mehrab Hossain jnr, Mushfiqur Rahim, Raqibul Hasan, Tamim Iqbal. Plus Shamsur Rahman and Suhrawadi Shuvo could debut within the next year. That side could really have pushed for the final if they hadn't have blown it completely against England (who they'd smashed at home just a few months earlier).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Didn't realise that we played against Roach. And that I faced him, haha. Bastard, I didn't hit that ball either, got a shocker. Was reasonably quick, but not the frightening unit he is now!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The following are all off the top of my head:

Moeen Ali - making a decent career for himself as mid-order bat and offie for Warwicks
Varun Chopra - opening semi-regularly for Essex in the absence of Cook in both forms
Rory Hamilton-Brown - left Surrey for Sussex but now back at the Oval as skipper
Nicholas James - nfi - possibly a handful of List A for Warks
Richard Jones - withdrawn - 5/1/06 - nfi
Andrew Miller - writing for Cricinfo... perhaps
Steven Mullaney - somewhere in the Lancs system (?) may have played FC
John Simpson - on his way to Middx (?) having been third in the Lancs pecking order
Mark Stoneman - part of Durham's squad
Huw Waters - taken a few wickets for Glamorgan but not really in the picture
Graeme White - a few List A for Northants?
Greg Wood - nfi
Robert Woodman - one of the huge number of Somerset kids to average 2.9 away from Taunton
Ben Wright - a few runs for Glam (?) but not going through on his promise
Mark Nelson - added 5/1/06 - nfi

Mr Mxyzptlk

West Indies

William Perkins - done some decent things in T20, but struggled to establish himself in other forms for T&T.
Richard Ramdeen - done nothing.
Leon Johnson - heard him compared to Sobers a while back. Definitely talented, and around the West Indies setup recently, but not set the world alight for Guyana yet.
Jason Mohammed - scored a very impressive ton for T&T a while back, but still very much a fringe player. Bizarrely ignored for the 1st match of the season this year.
Gajnand Singh - never seen him, but he's played a handful of matches for Guyana, with limited success
Sharmarh Brooks - talented batsman with useful legspin. Finally getting a proper chance for Barbados. Did decently in a warmup fixture v England last year IIRC.
Sunil Narine - has been taking wickets in club cricket in T&T and BUCKETS of them in trial matches for the national side. But can't break into a team with Mohammed, Jaggernauth, Sh Ganga and Imran Khan installed.
Rishi Bachan - looked a useful bowler when I saw him a while back, but nothing special. Way back in line for T&T spinners.
Javon Searles - never seen him, but he's had a harsh baptism at FC level, going at 6.50 per over in 2 matches, for just 2 wickets.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
John Simpson - on his way to Middx (?) having been third in the Lancs pecking order
Robert Woodman - one of the huge number of Somerset kids to average 2.9 away from Taunton
Think James got released by Warks at the end of the season; Miller at Warks after being Lancs' 59458th choice seamer; Mullaney is too much bits and pieces; Simpson already at Middlesex, impressed the Sky commentators during some epic 25 in the Pro40 last year; Woodman was sloshing around in the Minor Counties; Nelson has played a bit at Northants, batted number three a bit (?), bowling seem non-existent though.

Also all of the top of my head. Bangladesh should have thumped that lot. The three Craig mentioned in the OP are better than all the England side, save Hamilton-Brown.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The following are all off the top of my head:
And the following corrections and\or additions can be applied, in addition to what Roberts posted above:
Moeen Ali - making a decent career for himself as mid-order bat and offie for Warwicks
Nah, moved to Worcs, and is a wristspinner UIMM rather than fingerspinner. And a ****ing terrible one at that - concentrate on your batting son. Only last season did he really begin to deliver.
Retired I think.
Richard Jones - withdrawn - 5/1/06 - nfi
Another of Worcs' hopeless brigade - the fact that he's less bad than Chris Whelan and Gareth Andrew is no notable achievement.
The player Andrew Miller left Lancs to play at Warwicks but has still got sod-all games so far.
Not sure he hasn't been released, although that might be Cheetham... dav to elaborate.
Was actually a bowler when he played for Somerset; has since become a batsman but still somehow managed to average 8 with the ball last season. Not county-standard nor close to it nor has ever been. Hingeh reckons he's better.
As Roberts said, has played a bit for Northants but looks very unlikely to go anywhere now.