• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Auction draft

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Might be fun to do open bidding TBH, like a real auction. It would be interesting to see if someone overindulges on Bradman and has no budget left for other players, or underbids a spinner ( :ph34r:), or maybe goes for 11 great players vs. 3 all timers and 8 good ones.

Oh, and does anyone have the guts to get into a bidding war with me over McGrath? :p

It would also allow the person running the thing to participate. Say if no bid is beat for 24 hours, the auction closes for that player.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
We also did a list of 25 top batsman and 25 top bowlers and if we add a few wicketkeepers (if there aren't enough), and we've got ourselves a nice list. We can go through them one by one....if we keep the number of contestants to five or less, we can go through it pretty fast.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
would love to be in if there are spots left. And I hope we always get 24 hours time, like we did in the Sheep Draft as I cannot guarantee when I would be on CW but always get on at some time everyday.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As a budget is only a number I guess it's fairly irrelevant as to what figure we use, but for the sake of setting a figure I'm going to suggest $10,000,000.

Although the idea of an ongoing live auction does sound appealing, I feel it may be a bit too tricky to keep track of from my point of view (and would either be extremely restrictive as to who could take part or it would then take far too long to run) and so will maybe look into doing that in a future event.

In terms of the sorts of players up for auction, that could potentially be modified in a future event as well.

I have set up an email address for the draft - cwauctiondraft@googlemail.com and would invite anyone interested to email that by midday GMT on Thursday 14th January.

I ask everyone to include in their email their username and their nomination for a wicketkeeper to include in the auction. Bear in mind that the nominations are all kept secret (so as not to let others know who you are looking at signing) and that although I will make the number on offer up to the total required for the auction I don't want to have to get 15 or 20 players because you've all picked Gilchrist so use your imagination (don't forget that every player nominated has to be taken by someone in the draft)

I'll keep updating the number and names of people who have entered periodically (as well as nominations so far after a while so that they can't be picked again!)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Like I said, there's no limit on entrants, just send an email - so far had 3 entries, and some interesting names entered into the first round...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Details above: http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2120731-post28.html

Just to clarify, it is for Tests alltime yes.

Also to clarify, at this point I only want nominations for players to be put in the draft - after that we will undergo the process of bidding for them, so flyonthewall I will take that as you nominating the first person on your list to be entered into the draft. When entries close on Thursday I will list the players for the draft round, and that is when the bidding process starts.

slowfinger

International Debutant
So let me get something straight, we bid for some players to go in to the draft, and after Thursday we start bidding for the players that we put into the draft?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So let me get something straight, we bid for some players to go in to the draft, and after Thursday we start bidding for the players that we put into the draft?
Yes, the first process is just nominating the players.

What we will then do is get people to include their nominated player for round 2 alongside the bidding for round 1.

8 in so far, and 6 different nominations.