Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise cricketer/s of 2010

Surprise cricketer/s of 2010

Can be anyone of any format. Not the established players, but those who are in line to debut, just starting out, or are ready for their breakout year (age doesn't matter too much) as a Test, ODI, or even T20. I guess a good example would be Shane Watson when 2009 was his breakout year in the Australian team (especially when he got recalled to the Test team as an opener).

I'm really looking at Virat Kohli, Tim Southee, Nathan Hauritz, Doug Bollinger, Imran Tahir if he gets the chance in India.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

U19 Cricketer
    I would love to see Watson score thousands and thousands of test runs.

I get the feeling I may end up disappointed though

For Australia, I'm hoping for Steve Smith to establish himself in the OD outfit, and Phil Hughes to become a gun. Also, Bolly and Watto should build on their impressive form this year.

Elsewhere, it'll be interesting if Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli can build pressure on the aging Indian batsmen, and Wayne Parnell establishing himself in the South African lineup.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

In tests, I am tipping Pujara and Vijay to become good batsmen and Kohli after a few years .

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Broad & Swann were probably the England 'surprise' players of last year

I'm not very good on picking out potential stars. I'm just gonna punt with Luke Wright. Can't go wrong with blonde haired pretty boy all rounders.s
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I think people need to clarify a little more. For instance, what does Doug Bollinger have to do to be considered a surprise?

Mohammed Ashraful to average over 40 in Test Cricket is my surprise.

Also Imran Tahir to overtake Paul Harris as South Africa's main spinner at the end of this year.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think people need to clarify a little more. For instance, what does Doug Bollinger have to do to be considered a surprise?

Mohammed Ashraful to average over 40 in Test Cricket is my surprise.
    Lose the rug, IMHO.

From an England perspective I think our test XI looks as settled as its been for some time, but would like to see Morgan continue his good form in the limited overs games and I also expect Kieswetter to have debuted by the end of our summer. Prior's keeping has improved no end and he looks a capable test batsman but he's never really convinced in the shorter forms. Kieswetter has the potential to add a bit of biff to the power plays, although some doubts must remain as he does play his home games on tarmacadam.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I'd still rank Davies ahead of Kieswetter in the pecking order, even if he hasn't impressed that much in his few chances so far

Yeah, sincerely hope that Davies gets given a shot ahead of Kieswetter but he won't.
    The selectors are obviously holding out for Kieswetter because if Davies was next in line he'd have been given a chance by now.

Aamer and Akmal. Aamer to get 300+ wickets and Akmal to have a tough but succesful year and to score 7000 runs + (hopefully).
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

For India, I think that one of Karnataka's duo of R Vinay Kumar and A Mithun will make big strides on the international circuit toward the end of 2010, as they have dominated the domestic scene this year and both have good pace for Indian fast bowlers (Mithun's pace is the most highly mentioned but R Vinay has touched 140kph in the IPL). Regarding batsmen, I think that Yuvraj Singh will continue to show his improvement as a Test match cricketer and shock those who have written him off despite strong performances in the past few years, some coming in some difficult situations.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Haha, well Yuvraj can only show improvement in Tests, but that doesn't make him a Test cricketer. In 2009, he played two series and averaged 31 in NZ and 52 in India, coming out to an average of 40 for the year. Big whoop.

Selectors have been plain stupid. He never was, is not currently, nor will he ever be, a proper cricket batsman. We'll see when he fails again, and then finally the selectors will stop salivating over his ODI form to pick him for Tests, and can keep him in ODIs where middling wannabe cricketers like him belong.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Haha, well Yuvraj can only show improvement in Tests, but that doesn't make him a Test cricketer. In 2009, he played two series and averaged 31 in NZ and 52 in India, coming out to an average of 40 for the year. Big whoop.

Selectors have been plain stupid. He never was, is not currently, nor will he ever be, a proper cricket batsman. We'll see when he fails again, and then finally the selectors will stop salivating over his ODI form to pick him for Tests, and can keep him in ODIs where middling wannabe cricketers like him belong.
    So, how many did the batsmen whom he replaced average?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    So, how many did the batsmen whom he replaced average?
    Hmm? There are people in the Indian domestic circuit with a chance to score a lot more runs than this guy has. He has proven himself to be middling, at best, at Test cricket. And saying that is overrating him.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information