• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Surprise cricketer/s of 2010

Craig

World Traveller
Can be anyone of any format. Not the established players, but those who are in line to debut, just starting out, or are ready for their breakout year (age doesn't matter too much) as a Test, ODI, or even T20. I guess a good example would be Shane Watson when 2009 was his breakout year in the Australian team (especially when he got recalled to the Test team as an opener).

I'm really looking at Virat Kohli, Tim Southee, Nathan Hauritz, Doug Bollinger, Imran Tahir if he gets the chance in India.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I would love to see Watson score thousands and thousands of test runs.

I get the feeling I may end up disappointed though :(

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For Australia, I'm hoping for Steve Smith to establish himself in the OD outfit, and Phil Hughes to become a gun. Also, Bolly and Watto should build on their impressive form this year.

Elsewhere, it'll be interesting if Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli can build pressure on the aging Indian batsmen, and Wayne Parnell establishing himself in the South African lineup.

Shri

Mr. Glass
In tests, I am tipping Pujara and Vijay to become good batsmen and Kohli after a few years .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Broad & Swann were probably the England 'surprise' players of last year

I'm not very good on picking out potential stars. I'm just gonna punt with Luke Wright. Can't go wrong with blonde haired pretty boy all rounders.s

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think people need to clarify a little more. For instance, what does Doug Bollinger have to do to be considered a surprise?

Mohammed Ashraful to average over 40 in Test Cricket is my surprise.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also Imran Tahir to overtake Paul Harris as South Africa's main spinner at the end of this year.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think people need to clarify a little more. For instance, what does Doug Bollinger have to do to be considered a surprise?

Mohammed Ashraful to average over 40 in Test Cricket is my surprise.
Lose the rug, IMHO. :ph34r:

From an England perspective I think our test XI looks as settled as its been for some time, but would like to see Morgan continue his good form in the limited overs games and I also expect Kieswetter to have debuted by the end of our summer. Prior's keeping has improved no end and he looks a capable test batsman but he's never really convinced in the shorter forms. Kieswetter has the potential to add a bit of biff to the power plays, although some doubts must remain as he does play his home games on tarmacadam.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd still rank Davies ahead of Kieswetter in the pecking order, even if he hasn't impressed that much in his few chances so far

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, sincerely hope that Davies gets given a shot ahead of Kieswetter but he won't.
The selectors are obviously holding out for Kieswetter because if Davies was next in line he'd have been given a chance by now.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Aamer and Akmal. Aamer to get 300+ wickets and Akmal to have a tough but succesful year and to score 7000 runs + (hopefully).

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
For India, I think that one of Karnataka's duo of R Vinay Kumar and A Mithun will make big strides on the international circuit toward the end of 2010, as they have dominated the domestic scene this year and both have good pace for Indian fast bowlers (Mithun's pace is the most highly mentioned but R Vinay has touched 140kph in the IPL). Regarding batsmen, I think that Yuvraj Singh will continue to show his improvement as a Test match cricketer and shock those who have written him off despite strong performances in the past few years, some coming in some difficult situations.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Haha, well Yuvraj can only show improvement in Tests, but that doesn't make him a Test cricketer. In 2009, he played two series and averaged 31 in NZ and 52 in India, coming out to an average of 40 for the year. Big whoop.

Selectors have been plain stupid. He never was, is not currently, nor will he ever be, a proper cricket batsman. We'll see when he fails again, and then finally the selectors will stop salivating over his ODI form to pick him for Tests, and can keep him in ODIs where middling wannabe cricketers like him belong.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Haha, well Yuvraj can only show improvement in Tests, but that doesn't make him a Test cricketer. In 2009, he played two series and averaged 31 in NZ and 52 in India, coming out to an average of 40 for the year. Big whoop.

Selectors have been plain stupid. He never was, is not currently, nor will he ever be, a proper cricket batsman. We'll see when he fails again, and then finally the selectors will stop salivating over his ODI form to pick him for Tests, and can keep him in ODIs where middling wannabe cricketers like him belong.
So, how many did the batsmen whom he replaced average? :-O

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So, how many did the batsmen whom he replaced average? :-O
Hmm? There are people in the Indian domestic circuit with a chance to score a lot more runs than this guy has. He has proven himself to be middling, at best, at Test cricket. And saying that is overrating him.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year

No, it is not true that he can only show improvement in Tests. There are batsman who are resounding failures at Test cricket, it is not a given to average 40, even in this day and age, in Test cricket. Anyway, an average of 40 is average and I think he'll improve from that and turn that into an average of 45 or higher, as he improves into the good Test batsman that I believe he can be.

To note that he can never be a proper cricket batsman is insulting the fine player's ability to adapt to the longer form of the game. I seem to remember you making a similar judgement about Gautam Gambhir (IIRC, please tell me if I'm wrong, here), saying that he had not the technique for Test cricket and he has truly excelled in 2009, as I believe that Yuvraj may, this year.