• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Surprise cricketer/s of 2010

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ganga to return to the West Indies middle order and average 40+. Would definitely surprise me.

More realistically, I'd like the pleasant surprise of Dave Mohammed finally getting an ODI chance and doing well. Alternatively, any non-Benn spinner getting a chance in Tests.

Flem274*

123/5
Guarantee that neither Trent Boult nor Corey Anderson play for New Zealand this year, I don't think some people realise how bad Trent Boult has struggled this season in terms of getting back to his healthy self. We might see Kane Williamson debut this year, but I don't think it will be in 20/20 cricket.

Picking Neil Broom to make his test debut and average 50+ until we get to India at least. James Franklin to again make the test team and fail with both bat and ball. Tim Southee to average under 30 with the ball in test cricket. BJ Watling will score at least two 100's. Tim McIntosh will be dropped for good after the Australian series. Chris Martin will make his highest test score.
So basically all the ND players and Broom will gun it? :p

Anyway:

Southee to show improvement and get injured
Ryder to be used as more of an allrounder
Franklin to do okayish with the bat and chuck pies with the ball
McIntosh to hold onto his possie (just) for quite a while.
Pinga to debut and smash a double hundred before going downhill after ten or so tests (more 2011 then) :p
Arnel to impress\
NZ to push Australia very close in every test only to choke.
Vettori to join CW and post.

Might get some more later.

Craig

World Traveller
I will go one further and say Usman Khawaja will be in the squad for the Pakistan series in England.
At Marcus North's expense, unless he scores big in Hobart and the same in New Zealand, if picked. Mark Taylor keeps rambling on about how the Australians ideally want to move Watto back down the order when a spot open's up and have Highes open. Although not surprising I take what the Ch9 commentators say with a pinch of salt since they still haven't realised that Shane Bond has quit Test cricket.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Mohd Aamir to be the best fast bowler in the world for the next decade. Umer Akmal to average low 40's in test cricket.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Ganga to return to the West Indies middle order and average 40+. Would definitely surprise me.

More realistically, I'd like the pleasant surprise of Dave Mohammed finally getting an ODI chance and doing well. Alternatively, any non-Benn spinner getting a chance in Tests.
Dave getting a chance will be a surprise, success would be guaranteed

turnstyle

State 12th Man
For a guy who is one of the most successful T20 bowlers ever, it's a travesty he hasn't had a run in internationals.

Top T20 wicket-takers
TBH, I've never really taken notice of his bowling ever since he played at our club back in Oz and never really troubled the 4th graders, but with a record like that, why on earth did the selectors recall ****ing Saj Mahmood for the t20s in SA

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At Marcus North's expense, unless he scores big in Hobart and the same in New Zealand, if picked. Mark Taylor keeps rambling on about how the Australians ideally want to move Watto back down the order when a spot open's up and have Highes open. Although not surprising I take what the Ch9 commentators say with a pinch of salt since they still haven't realised that Shane Bond has quit Test cricket.
How long do you think before Mitchell Marsh plays international cricket? Unlikely to be this year but would not be a total surpsrise if he was playing 20twenty cricket at least before long.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
so he can play a handful of meaningless ODI and be discarded just like this chap
Well Joyce was discarderd because overall he himself didn't hold a place as ODI opener based on performances - not because ENG had some policy & picking random Irishmen. After all he wanted to play for ENG. If he was good enough he would still be in the team as Morgan is ATM.

Rankin is just the fast-bowler ENG need in the bowling ranks given how bare the cupboard is right now.

Craig

World Traveller
How long do you think before Mitchell Marsh plays international cricket? Unlikely to be this year but would not be a total surpsrise if he was playing 20twenty cricket at least before long.
I would not have a problem with him playing T20 for Australia. Nathan Rimmington of Queensland has a very good List A and T20 bowling records, and it would not surprise me if he got a go. The problem is that he is injured a fair bit as well. My hunch is that he would been called up for the Indian ODI's if he was fit at the time.