• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Surprise cricketer/s of 2010

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
. Anyway, an average of 40 is average
Really? Since 2008, if you take minimum qualification of 500 runs, he clocks in at #35 in the world in his average. And that's when people think he is "doing well....."

Yea, I want him that my team.....Umar Akmal has already scored more runs, at a better average, from five matches than Yuvi has in his ten.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Really? Since 2008, if you take minimum qualification of 500 runs, he clocks in at #35 in the world in his average. And that's when people think he is "doing well....."
I think that he has improved, not the same as doing well. I said that he was doing average, perhaps he is slightly below average for established Test batsmen in the past few years, but the signs of improvement are obvious for me and he has played some strong innings.

Umar Akmal has already scored more runs, at a better average, from five matches than Yuvi has in his ten.
So, what is the point? Yuvraj is a long term Test prospect and cannot be judged off ten matches, just as we cannot establish Umar Akmal as the next Miandad, after five Tests.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I must say Akmal looks promising but when you saw him playing in Oz I just felt that he would eventually crumble, you can't try and pull everyball for a 4 or 6 and he eventually paid the price when he constantly went falling playing one shots too many and if he just adjusts it a little bit he will prosper better.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Lose the rug, IMHO. :ph34r:

From an England perspective I think our test XI looks as settled as its been for some time, but would like to see Morgan continue his good form in the limited overs games and I also expect Kieswetter to have debuted by the end of our summer. Prior's keeping has improved no end and he looks a capable test batsman but he's never really convinced in the shorter forms. Kieswetter has the potential to add a bit of biff to the power plays, although some doubts must remain as he does play his home games on tarmacadam.
I understand that Bedwetter's FC batting average away from Taunton is 29. I'm not good enough with cricket archive to confirm that, but if true it's not desperately impressive. Promising player, mind you.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
From an England perspective I think our test XI looks as settled as its been for some time, but would like to see Morgan continue his good form in the limited overs games and I also expect Kieswetter to have debuted by the end of our summer. Prior's keeping has improved no end and he looks a capable test batsman but he's never really convinced in the shorter forms. Kieswetter has the potential to add a bit of biff to the power plays, although some doubts must remain as he does play his home games on tarmacadam.
Have no idea about the oneday side whatsoever.

As for the test side, as you say, the batting's looking increasingly more settled with each passing test. Even if they all fail next week, they'll have ample opportunity to fill their boots against Bang, so chances are they'll all be on the plane to Aus. Maybe if one of the openers in injured then Carberry might find himself playing test cricket, or Moore or Denly I suppose. Perhaps there would be more of a surprise in the middle order if needs arose: if Bopara's going to stake a claim for a recall, then he'll need to do rather better than he's doing in NZ right now.
I think we're more likely to spring a surprise in the quicks department if Anderson or Onions goes lame. My tip is that Plunkett might surprise everyone who doesn't follow the English domestic game by making a reappearance at some point in the year. Unless, that is, someone like Finn or Woakes has an absolutely staggering season in the CC.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So, what is the point? Yuvraj is a long term Test prospect and cannot be judged off ten matches, just as we cannot establish Umar Akmal as the next Miandad, after five Tests.
30+ Tests is not long enough? Eight years is not long term FFS?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Reckon we'll see one of Boult, Anderson or Williamson debut for NZ this year, in a T20I at least.

Cam Borgas from Aus.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

As for the test side, as you say, the batting's looking increasingly more settled with each passing test. Even if they all fail next week, they'll have ample opportunity to fill their boots against Bang, so chances are they'll all be on the plane to Aus. Maybe if one of the openers in injured then Carberry might find himself playing test cricket, or Moore or Denly I suppose. Perhaps there would be more of a surprise in the middle order if needs arose: if Bopara's going to stake a claim for a recall, then he'll need to do rather better than he's doing in NZ right now.
I think we're more likely to spring a surprise in the quicks department if Anderson or Onions goes lame. My tip is that Plunkett might surprise everyone who doesn't follow the English domestic game by making a reappearance at some point in the year. Unless, that is, someone like Finn or Woakes has an absolutely staggering season in the CC.
Yeah thing look pretty settled at the moment but things can change ever so quickly, just have to look at the way in which Swann, Trott and Onions have all seem to have established themselves. It would apear to need injuries at the moment though but that is bound to happen to someone this year. Another good season and James Taylor could well find himself going to Australia.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, well Yuvraj can only show improvement in Tests, but that doesn't make him a Test cricketer. In 2009, he played two series and averaged 31 in NZ and 52 in India, coming out to an average of 40 for the year. Big whoop.

Selectors have been plain stupid. He never was, is not currently, nor will he ever be, a proper cricket batsman. We'll see when he fails again, and then finally the selectors will stop salivating over his ODI form to pick him for Tests, and can keep him in ODIs where middling wannabe cricketers like him belong.
SS, in the other thread when you asked what a 'Test snob' is - I've bolded a couple of phrases that might point you in the right direction

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
30+ Tests is not long enough? Eight years is not long term FFS?
Eight years in and out of the side is not long term, at all. The fact is that he has been shunted in and out of the Test team due to the incredibly strong middle order that we've had. He finally has an unchallenged spot in the Test team to make a name for himself and I think he'll do a good job and be the breakout star of 2010.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Reckon we'll see one of Boult, Anderson or Williamson debut for NZ this year, in a T20I at least.
There's basically a 100% chance Arnel will debut :happy:

For Test debuts I'd be picking Neil Broom and maybe even Cameron Merchant.
For limited overs Shanan Stewart or Rob Nicol deserve a chance, Stewart especially would make a good no. 6 who can give the ball a good hit in the PPs and final overs.

Colin de Grandhomme would be a good alternative to Anderson should there be some freak string of injuries or if the selectors just don't feel he's ready.

Big Jess to average 55 in Tests, McIntosh to be dropped and Franklin to have a Watson-esq comeback :ph34r:

Howsie

International Captain

Cam Borgas from Aus.
Guarantee that neither Trent Boult nor Corey Anderson play for New Zealand this year, I don't think some people realise how bad Trent Boult has struggled this season in terms of getting back to his healthy self. We might see Kane Williamson debut this year, but I don't think it will be in 20/20 cricket.

Picking Neil Broom to make his test debut and average 50+ until we get to India at least. James Franklin to again make the test team and fail with both bat and ball. Tim Southee to average under 30 with the ball in test cricket. BJ Watling will score at least two 100's. Tim McIntosh will be dropped for good after the Australian series. Chris Martin will make his highest test score.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
Guarantee that neither Trent Boult nor Corey Anderson play for New Zealand this year, I don't think some people realise how bad Trent Boult has struggled this season in terms of getting back to his healthy self. We might see Kane Williamson debut this year, but I don't think it will be in 20/20 cricket.

Picking Neil Broom to make his test debut and average 50+ until we get to India at least. James Franklin to again make the test team and fail with both bat and ball. Tim Southee to average under 30 with the ball in test cricket. BJ Watling will score at least two 100's. Tim McIntosh will be dropped for good after the Australian series. Chris Martin will make his highest test score.
Are you really willing to make such a HUGE call

Howsie

International Captain
Yea I thought I better make a risky prediction :ph34r: But yeah I do see it happening with us playing Bangladesh three times this year.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Rob Key?. Personally think he better than all of them..

Yuck, dont forget Tremlett also. I'm thinking ever day ENG should try & tempt Boyd Rankin to play for us.