• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did Jonty actually run out Inzy?

Sir Alex

Banned
I am referring to that runout which changed fielding forever in the World Cup 1992.

I recently chanced upon a video of the same in youtube but now I am having reservations about whether Jonty actually dislodged the bails before Inzy grounded his bat back. The footage is not clear but I was surprised by the conviction with which the umpire gave it out. I don't think today the 3rd umpire would have given that out with available views.

YouTube - Jonty Rhodes Run Out Inzamam

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
That says a lot about the quality of the umpiring then I believe. Now with third umpire for run outs every single appeal is referred to him.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I am referring to that runout which changed fielding forever in the World Cup 1992.

I recently chanced upon a video of the same in youtube but now I am having reservations about whether Jonty actually dislodged the bails before Inzy grounded his bat back. The footage is clear but I was surprised by the conviction with which the umpire gave it out. I don't think today the 3rd umpire would have given that out with available views.

2nd angle is pretty clear cut.

Sir Alex

Banned
That says a lot about the quality of the umpiring then I believe. Now with third umpire for run outs every single appeal is referred to him.
I think it is better to be doubly sure than giving a wrong decision. What are your views on this dismissal?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
:huh: Then how can it be "clear-cut"?
Power of deduction.

If you see the close up front on view (which isn't shown in your clip), Rhodes hits the stumps with his arm first.

When the replay from above pauses, Rhodes' body is completely over where the stumps were, and Inzi is completely out of his ground.

Given the mess the stumps ended up in, the idea that the bails might not have been dislodged is complete and utter rubbish.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but would it have been given out by the 3rd Umpire if it happened tomorrow? As AFAIK you have to be able to see the moment the bails are dislodged?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah but would it have been given out by the 3rd Umpire if it happened tomorrow? As AFAIK you have to be able to see the moment the bails are dislodged?
Don't see why not, given that it's pretty obviously out.

I reckon you'd have much more, better camera angles now than you would have in 1992.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Umpire in the clear best position to give that out, unobstructed view of the run-out.

You are trying to make a judgement based on an extremely low quality youtube video. Watch a TV quality version of the run-out in frame-by-frame mode and you can clearly distinguish the bails dislodging prior to Inzy making the crease. No doubt at all, the footage was shown time and time again at the time of the run-out.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The footage was replayed to death at the time and he was gone. YT video resolution = ****, pointless revisiting this.

DingDong

State Captain
yes ur correct i think. if u dont have clear cut evidence u wont be given run out. ginger furball is just being silly.

gvenkat

State Captain

I recently chanced upon a video of the same in youtube but now I am having reservations about whether Jonty actually dislodged the bails before Inzy grounded his bat back. The footage is not clear but I was surprised by the conviction with which the umpire gave it out. I don't think today the 3rd umpire would have given that out with available views.

Pause and Look closely at 0.33. Jonty breaks the wickets at that point and the bat is still out,at best maybe on the line and at 0.24 you can clearly see the bails in the air. I think it was out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxCdWO6dzkw&feature=related

In that video pause and watch at 0.12. It is very clear.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
yes ur correct i think. if u dont have clear cut evidence u wont be given run out. ginger furball is just being silly.
And the YouTube footage linked to in the OP doesn't have the most clear cut footage of all, which is the close up footage shot from roughly where mid on would have been standing.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just to clear this up completely, this is the bail:

Little more than a small white mark, testament to the footage quality.