• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amazing Waqar Younis

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Everything he did from 1989 to the early 90s was pretty goddam awesome. It was a pity he missed the 92 world cup because he would have lit the tournament up.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A shame Oz fans never saw the best of him because of injury

The closest we got was an ODI at the WACA very early in his career when he was absolutely frightening

Read today that pre-injury, he had taken something like 190 wickets at 19 at a strike-rate that was something like 4 balls per wickets less than the next best - amazing stats

And, unlike the 00s, it was also in a period when people could actually bat :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
45 then is 55 now because pitches weren't runways, and openers couldn't thump down their front foot and stroke away to centuries. :happy:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
45 then is 55 now because pitches weren't runways
The aeroplanes weren't exactly state of the art either. I wouldn't bet on any of the typically early 90s batsmen doing now what Sehwag, Hayden and co have been.

Go ahead and tell me it was tongue in cheek. :ph34r:

sasnoz

Banned
sehwag was nothing on the kiwi pitches but a filthy slogger,ambrose showed hayden was not a proper test opener

fredfertang

In 1990 Lancashire scored 863 against Surrey at the Oval so I went to see the 1991 fixture to see a repeat. No chance - I'd seen Sylvester Clarke once or twice at the Oval and thought I'd never see anything so terrifying again but he was Waqar was just as awesome - we didn't have a prayer despite the much maligned Mike Watkinson batting really well in both innings - Wasim on the other hand was - well to put it politely - distinctly ordinary in comparison

social

In 1990 Lancashire scored 863 against Surrey at the Oval so I went to see the 1991 fixture to see a repeat. No chance - I'd seen Sylvester Clarke once or twice at the Oval and thought I'd never see anything so terrifying again but he was Waqar was just as awesome - we didn't have a prayer despite the much maligned Mike Watkinson batting really well in both innings - Wasim on the other hand was - well to put it politely - distinctly ordinary in comparison
Did you happen to see Sylvester against Middlesex at the Oval in a semi-final of some comp (may have been B & H) in the 80s?

Truly vicious stuff where he gave Gatting etc a horrible workover and the game was done inside a few overs

fredfertang

Only saw Sylvers at the Oval the once after a few beers - he used to be on the telly quite a lot but my parents wouldn't let me drink at home so without any alcohol I just hid behind the chair whenever he was bowling - he was absolutely terrifying sight

fredfertang

Dunno Mr Z but to get the real "Sylvers effect" you need to be able to get a good look at the expression on his face as he runs in and then again after he looks down the wicket at the end of his follow through

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
45 then is 55 now because pitches weren't runways, and openers couldn't thump down their front foot and stroke away to centuries. :happy:
I doubt it. It's like saying that Guys like Azhar etc would average 55 today. I really really dounbt it.