• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do You Like To Talk About Cricket?

Do You Like To Talk About Cricket in Real Life?

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
May seem a strange question given this is posted in Cricket Chat but do you like talking about cricket in person to real people?

In all honesty I don't. Most people who know me are aware I played a bit and coached a bit and I guess think they are being interesting, engaging and nice by talking to me about cricket. However, Id rather not.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely a yes for me - and discussion extends past cricket to rugby, soccer, tennis, motor racing, etc too.

Craig

World Traveller
No, because the people I know only have a passing interest at best, or watch cricket if there is nothing else on, so I don't bother. If the person was really interested in cricket, then yeah I do like to talk them about cricket, otherwise I don't bother.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, because the people I know only have a passing interest at best, or watch cricket if there is nothing else on, so I don't bother. If the person was really interested in cricket, then yeah I do like to talk them about cricket, otherwise I don't bother.
AWTA

I'd love, for example, to talk cricket with Goughy, though he'd doubtless be irritated by the length of time it took for the conversation to move away from his helping to prepare Graham Gooch for his great innings :)

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
I always think I am more knowledgeable than the other person talking and pull a dismissive face when discussing and either agree with everything the other person says and move on or change topics. Works for me.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I love talking about Cricket, but listening to others is a different matter!

Nah it does depend, if I'm at the ground or even watching it on TV yeah I do enjoy it, but if it's not on at the time I just keep the Cricket talk very minimal.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yes, I absolutely love telling Americans about it. I used to pretend to read my ages old Cricinfo magazine in the cafeteria at work just so people would ask me about it. Every time someone sees a cricket scorecard or even something in the newsticker on BBC they apparently think of me and mention it to me the next day.

Only experience I have of chatting with someone who truly knew a lot about cricket was an Indian coworker and to a lesser extent a Jamaican trainee, and I loved talking about it more than they ever did.

I think its safe to say I talk about it more in real life than I do here.

howardj

International Coach
I love talking about it with knowledgeable people.

But, to those who have a rudimentary knowledge, I hate talking to them about the game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes, I absolutely love telling Americans about it. I used to pretend to read my ages old Cricinfo magazine in the cafeteria at work just so people would ask me about it. Every time someone sees a cricket scorecard or even something in the newsticker on BBC they apparently think of me and mention it to me the next day.

Only experience I have of chatting with someone who truly knew a lot about cricket was an Indian coworker and to a lesser extent a Jamaican trainee, and I loved talking about it more than they ever did.

I think its safe to say I talk about it more in real life than I do here.
kinda agree.. But of course, living in India means hardly a day passes by without talking about cricket to someone under some pretext to some extent or the other..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, this.

I talk about cricket to the few people in my life who actually know a fair bit about it, and to randoms when I'm at a game, but when casual fans sprouting off crap annoys me to such an extent that I just don't bother talking to them at all about it.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Only to people I know really well. Last time I said something about cricket to someone I don't know that well, they said "I didn't know your boyfriend is a cricket fan." Not worth the stress.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
No, I tend to not discuss the cricket at all, except for score updates and predictions and stuff. My closest friends are the same way, and it eliminates the possibility of aussie style quote wars IRL. The last time I did get into a prolonged argument of that sort was when I tried to use Ishant's piss poor IPL career over two seasons to justify my claims of why I don't expect him to be any more than a mediocre limited overs bowler. I also tend to not bother and to change the subject when it becomes apparent the other guy has NFI. I remember a guy trying to initiate a conversation with me sometime before the 2003 WC, by mentioning that all the European teams were on the ascendancy. Turned out he was referring to Australia, England, New Zealand and South Africa.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yes but only to people I know understand the game, for the vast majority who are cricket-illiterates I give a wide berth.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Yes i love talking about it with people who know a bit about it. Those who dont know much about it can be frustrating to converse with.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sort of. I'd yap about it all day if I knew people who knew a lot about it, but most people I know are ****ing retards.

pasag

RTDAS
Spent the day catching up with mates, most of the conversation was about the Sydney Test. So yeah...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An unequivocal yes. It doesn't matter that not a single one of my friends has the slightest interest in cricket. Should anyone mention anything to do with cricket I will talk at them about it until someone finds a way to shut me up. I can't help it. Everyone has something that they talk and talk and talk about regardless of how disinterested their company is. For me, it's cricket.

When I meet someone genuinely interested in it at the pub or at a game and have a good conversation with them I'm filled with an embarrassing amount of joy.

Last edited:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Depends.

To people with considerable knowledge: Yes.

To people with a vague grasp on the game: No, for some reason.

To people unfamiliar with the game: Maybe when they bring it up?

To people who frequently behave like knobheads and treat me like a ******: Obviously not.