• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst tactical decision ever

Sir Alex

Banned
Simple. If the offer was good enough.
Haha. Almost no nation can completely it have had cricketers who could claim insularity to the temptation of money. India had Azhar and Jadeja, Pakistan had Malik, Australia had Warne and Waugh junior, West Indies had Samuels, SA had Hansie and Gibbs, England had Greig during Packer circus, New Zealand had Marshall and Bond, Sri Lanka is perhaps the only exception.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Dravid declaring in Multan 2004 when Sachin was on 194*.

It did not affect that match result in any way, but I cant help wondering what that very small tactical decision eventually cost Dravid (in terms of player support when he was captain, and thus him as player since the captaincy eventually cost him a great deal).

It's the one thing Dravid has ever done that raises questions from India fans.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Most of the big blunders have already been covered.

I think a lot of what went on in the recent Australia/Pakistan test was a bit odd. Ponting batting first on that pitch was somewhat baffling, but they went on to win the match so who am I to question him.

From a Pakistani point of view though, it was a disaster. I can understand why they might put the field out for Hussey to allow him a single to get Siddle on strike, but what did they think they would accomplish by staying there and letting Siddle get a single, hence putting Hussey back on strike. It really makes no sense. I have doubts about Yousuf's captaincy in terms of being a captain. The Pakistani players really did not play as though they believed they could win and a lot got out playing ridiculous shots.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Haha. Almost no nation can completely it have had cricketers who could claim insularity to the temptation of money. India had Azhar and Jadeja, Pakistan had Malik, Australia had Warne and Waugh junior, West Indies had Samuels, SA had Hansie and Gibbs, England had Greig during Packer circus, New Zealand had Marshall and Bond, Sri Lanka is perhaps the only exception.
I think there's an important line to be drawn between the "temptation of money" and accepting bribes to throw matches or underperform. I'm not Tahnny's biggest fan (he only needs to look into the shaving mirror to see the gentleman who owns that particular accolade), but to equate him with Malik or Cronje is a travesty.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting at Edgbaston '05 wasn't that much of a shocker. It could all have been a conspiracy to mislead him, but a good number of the English press were suggesting pre-match that if you win the toss, you should bowl.

It all ended well though :)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Really? He was? He would have bowled the same bowlers had over rates not been an issue?
He clearly wouldn't if it wasn't an issue, since after tea on that 4th day he didn't start with the part-timers.

silenstriker said:
Then it's still the worst captaincy decision of all time. At least of any that have happened since I started watching cricket.
I see you missed MoYo display in the recent test vs AUS:laugh:

Sir Alex

Banned
He clearly wouldn't if it wasn't an issue, since after tea on that 4th day he didn't start with the part-timers.

I see you missed MoYo display in the recent test vs AUS:laugh:
MoYo atleast can hide behind the excuse of 4-5 horrible drops.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ponting at Edgbaston '05 wasn't that much of a shocker. It could all have been a conspiracy to mislead him, but a good number of the English press were suggesting pre-match that if you win the toss, you should bowl.

It all ended well though :)
To be fair that would have been before a rather good fast bowler had an unfortunate incident with a cricket ball.