• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst tactical decision ever

You just contradicted yourself. It's got nothing to do with the fact that he put on part timers on then, is it? You can be a great captain and a great player and still make bad decisions. The decision in India was the worst I've seen. That does not imply anything about the rest of his decisions - they could be brilliant, and he could be Bradman of both batting and captaincy. That one decision was still the worst I've ever seen. One has nothing to do with the other.

Actually, for a long time, you should have seen my most wins = best captain theory. :p And I rated Ponting the best captain in history. The India episode put an end to that theory. You can check my post history if you don't believe me.
I think the Indian episode has only scarred you and nobody else, Thats Ok though because Ponting is still our captain and still doing an excellent job.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think the Indian episode has only scarred you and nobody else, Thats Ok though because Ponting is still our captain and still doing an excellent job.
Scarred? As an Indian supporter, that was the single best thing I've ever seen on a cricket field. When India were collapsing, if you had asked me what I wished for, it would have been something close to, "Give me some free runs." Ponting obliged. Best. Afternoon. Ever. Also, it seems to have left an impression on a bunch of people who also picked the same episode in this thread, not just me. :D

And good for him, I did not imply that he wasn't doing a good job, or that he wasn't your captain. What a weird thing to say. :confused:

Last edited:
Scarred? As an Indian supporter, that was the single best thing I've ever seen on a cricket field. When India were collapsing, if you had asked me what I wished for, it would have been something close to, "Give me some free runs." Ponting obliged. Best. Afternoon. Ever. Also, it seems to have left an impression on a bunch of people who also picked the same episode in this thread, not just me. :D

And good for him, I did not imply that he wasn't doing a good job, or that he wasn't your captain. What a weird thing to say. :confused:

I just get a kick seeing posters who get all torn up about Ponting, his greatness and brilliance has mangled the minds of many.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'll take Mitch and Dougeh though.

And yes, if you mention the fact that Bradman made a mistake scored a duck and therefore had one bad innings, you're pretty much saying he was a crappy batsman.

I like that rule. I'm going to use it all the time now, call it the Streetwise theorm for judging players.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
I just get a kick seeing posters who get all torn up about Ponting, his greatness and brilliance has mangled the minds of many.
Clearly not mangled the said minds well enough. Would be better if they were complete retards, locked up in an asylum and don't have access to internet forums.:)

Just throwing it out there...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think the "tactical" bit of the thread title being ignored rather too blithely, tbh.

One field placement that struck me as odd was Ponting putting a man on the straight drive for Strauss during the 2005 Ashes. Complete waste of a field position as I don't think Andy ever played the shot before he was dropped for the Sri Lankan tour. When he came back he'd expanded his scoring options and now plays it pretty well.

Craig

World Traveller
Not picking MacGill for the 2004 India tour. What had Hauritz or White done at the time deserve a call-up? At best I would of taken three spinners to India, Warne, MacGill, and either Hauritz or White.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India was riddled with players who would lose for money too, how could a player make that decision.
Hopefully less of a problem with the relatively bigger salaries in India, Australia and England, and also with the IPL, but if I was NZ or some other player, and I was offered money 10x my yearly salary, I'd seriously think about doing it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Inzi forfeiting a Test
It was my first thought on seeing the thread but I tactically neglected to mention it. It is, of course, as bad as a tactical error can be, turning a near-guaranteed win into a loss with one decision. Their subsequent attempt to continue the game suggests they don't overly disagree that it wasn't the right step to take.

I don't know the ins and outs well enough to know whether it was all down to Inzi, though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He was lauded in Pakistan for doing it though, so it also depends how you weigh that. Considering how finicky PCB can be.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SS everytime you're on the same side of an argument as me you bring up how cheating is okay and embarrass yourself. ****ing hell.

And Streetwise, Ponting ****ed up bad and cost his team a series in India. He's actually never captained Australia to a win there :ph34r: