• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Bangladesh

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
The whole Shakib is awesome thing got a bit out of hand before the series anyway. Aside from some decent performances (one on home tracks) against New Zealand and then in South Africa, all his success has really come against Zimbabwe. IMO he will the best allrounder in the world in ten years time, but he's got a long, long way to go.

The pressure of the captaincy undoubtedly told on Ashraful - look how many people here talked him up 2001-2005. Now Shakib has to cope with it and it could be telling on him as well. Since the end of the Zimbabwe series, his form with the bat has been patchy (in fact, dire in the DPL). I think a few posters here jumped on the Shakib bandwagon without really considering just who he is and where he has come from in such a short space of time.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was definitely under-rated earlier in his career, and the fact that he played for Bangladesh meant it took people a long time to realise he was actually a really talented player. At some stage the pendulum swung a bit too far the other way though and he developed a full-on cult. He's good, and he has serious potential, but he's not a world-beater. Not yet anyway.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Has anyone pointed out the obvious yet? Bangladesh didn't pick up 20 wickets in the 2nd test either :p

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
He was definitely under-rated earlier in his career, and the fact that he played for Bangladesh meant it took people a long time to realise he was actually a really talented player. At some stage the pendulum swung a bit too far the other way though and he developed a full-on cult. He's good, and he has serious potential, but he's not a world-beater. Not yet anyway.
Don't think he was ever underrated - picked out by TWC as Bangladesh's most promising player aged under 21 back in 2003 or 2004 I think (along with Ashraful), when he was about 15 and before he'd made a senior debut in any form of the game. He was just unknown. If you go right back to the start of the Bangladesh domestic thread, I (mispelling his name in a different way every time) talked him up a bit along with Mushfiq and Tamim. Admittedly that was just based on hearsay, but there was already talk about him in the media.

Like I said, I think a lot of people on here have over-reacted, with a slightly 'Oh cool, a Bangladeshi allrounder who could potentially be world-class' response. Tamim and Mushfiq both still have the potential to become greater cricketers, IMO.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Has everyone forgotten that about 12 days ago Shakib took 5 for 62 off almost 30 overs!
His wickets included Sehwag, Laxman and Yuvraj.

Yeah, his batting was disappointing, but he had a pretty decent series with the ball.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I am going to say somethign very cliched and predictable. I think Bangladesh have improved. No not because they managed to score 300 in the fourth innings, and not because they got India out for 240 in the first test..but its the difference in the attitude of a few players that tells me that the cricket in that country is moving in the right direction.

Mohammad Ashraful scored a 150 against India 5 years ago but failed to prevent the follow on, in the second innings he got a duck, getting out in that very day.
Wasim Akram who was commentating asked him how come he looked in such great form in the first innings but got out to so cheaply in the second innings and his response was something like "i got tired" or something along those lines.
The attitude on display was despicable, Wasim blasted him later..many commetnators criticized him. It looked that by scoring 150, he thought his job was done..he was satisfied..the sin for a batsman to be satisfied after scoring some runs..a batsman's hunger for runs should never be satisfied.

But when Tamim Iqbal got out yesterday..he was not satisfied..he had hunger for more, for a 200. He did not think his job was done when he scored 150. Thats the improvement. It might have taken them 5 years..but atleast the attitude changed. It makes me feel hopeful.

Shakib so over-rated...
Well Shakib is not overrated...well that actually depends on how you rated him in the first place..
I never rated him too highly as a batsman..I know Mushfiqur, Ashraful, Tamim are better than him..I rated him highly as a bowler and I still do...I dont think he did a bad job against possibly the best players of spin bowling..we have seen worse performances against this batting side from better spinners like Murali, Warne etc.

Sehwag didnt get a double century..nor was he able to blast Shakib all over the park. Thats an acheivement..

Sir Alex

Banned
Well Shakib is not overrated...well that actually depends on how you rated him in the first place..
I never rated him too highly as a batsman..I know Mushfiqur, Ashraful, Tamim are better than him..I rated him highly as a bowler and I still do...I dont think he did a bad job against possibly the best players of spin bowling..we have seen worse performances against this batting side from better spinners like Murali, Warne etc.
I agree with you completely regarding this. Shakib did very well as a bowler. To take a fifer against probably the best attack in the world now and particularly against spin is a wonderful achievement.

Sehwag didnt get a double century..nor was he able to blast Shakib all over the park. Thats an acheivement..
:unsure: