• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

u-19 world cups the past and the future

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
In anticipation for this years cup i was looking through cricinfo and found this

The Under-19 World Cup | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

saw lots of recognisable names such as Shah (haircut:laugh:), Cook, Chawla etc but also saw a couple of what ever happened to? cases such as Anwar Ali (I see hes still playing domestic cricket but I dont follow pakistani domestic cricket).

So what are some players that should make the step up to international in this world cup? and any updates on players that were touted in past world cups? Anybody doing well now that played u-19s but didnt particularly impress? And any cases of players that have gone completely off the rails?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In anticipation for this years cup i was looking through cricinfo and found this

The Under-19 World Cup | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

saw lots of recognisable names such as Shah (haircut:laugh:), Cook, Chawla etc but also saw a couple of what ever happened to? cases such as Anwar Ali (I see hes still playing domestic cricket but I dont follow pakistani domestic cricket).

So what are some players that should make the step up to international in this world cup? and any updates on players that were touted in past world cups? Anybody doing well now that played u-19s but didnt particularly impress? And any cases of players that have gone completely off the rails?
Devon Smith and Anthony McGrath are the two that stand out in my mind as having dominated youth cricket but never made the step up.

I think the most interesting cases are that of players who completely change their roles. Vikram Solanki batted 10 and and played as a frontline spinner, while Nathan Hauritz batted three for Queensland Under 19s and didn't bowl; I think he slotted in at six a couple of times for Australian Under 19s too but I'm not sure if he ever did it in a World Cup.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Devon Smith and Anthony McGrath are the two that stand out in my mind as having dominated youth cricket but never made the step up.

I think the most interesting cases are that of players who completely change their roles. Vikram Solanki batted 10 and and played as a frontline spinner, while Nathan Hauritz batted three for Queensland Under 19s and didn't bowl; I think he slotted in at six a couple of times for Australian Under 19s too but I'm not sure if he ever did it in a World Cup.
pretty sure ritz was the main spinner on the '99 england tour.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Nice to see Sarwan as leading wicket-taker in the 97/98 tournament, averaging just over 10 runs per wicket, not quite performed as well as that with the ball in International cricket. The team you could make from that tournament is pretty decent also:

Chris Gayle
Virender Sehwag
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Owais Shah
Marcus North
Prassana Jayawardene +
James Hopes
James Franklin
Kyle Mills
Graeme Swann
Harbhajan Singh

Decent enough side that, some good players. Not many real stand out bowlers, but that's not a bad attack really. Harbhajan Singh at 11 provides real batting depth as well. Love that opening pair as well, 2 of the best in the world atm.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Malcolm Marshall's first season in Barbados Under-19s (admittedly not his sole Youth Test and Youth ODI) saw him still batting four and bowling first-change.

Following season though he was opening the bowling and captaining, to devastating effect.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow at our side during the 1988 U19 World Cup. Only Law ever played international cricket for us (although Mullally dogged us and played for the Poms. :p)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If there's one thing Alan Mullally didn't do it's dogged the Australian Test team - he had precious little effect whenever he played a Test against them.

Was a damn good ODI bowler though and for that reason I'm glad we got him.