Thread: u-19 world cups the past and the future

u-19 world cups the past and the future

In anticipation for this years cup i was looking through cricinfo and found this

The Under-19 World Cup | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

saw lots of recognisable names such as Shah (haircut), Cook, Chawla etc but also saw a couple of what ever happened to? cases such as Anwar Ali (I see hes still playing domestic cricket but I dont follow pakistani domestic cricket).

So what are some players that should make the step up to international in this world cup? and any updates on players that were touted in past world cups? Anybody doing well now that played u-19s but didnt particularly impress? And any cases of players that have gone completely off the rails?

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Guy View Post
    In anticipation for this years cup i was looking through cricinfo and found this

The Under-19 World Cup | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

saw lots of recognisable names such as Shah (haircut), Cook, Chawla etc but also saw a couple of what ever happened to? cases such as Anwar Ali (I see hes still playing domestic cricket but I dont follow pakistani domestic cricket).

So what are some players that should make the step up to international in this world cup? and any updates on players that were touted in past world cups? Anybody doing well now that played u-19s but didnt particularly impress? And any cases of players that have gone completely off the rails?
    Devon Smith and Anthony McGrath are the two that stand out in my mind as having dominated youth cricket but never made the step up.

I think the most interesting cases are that of players who completely change their roles. Vikram Solanki batted 10 and and played as a frontline spinner, while Nathan Hauritz batted three for Queensland Under 19s and didn't bowl; I think he slotted in at six a couple of times for Australian Under 19s too but I'm not sure if he ever did it in a World Cup.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    I just noticed Mullaly played for Australia and Caddick played for NZ.

umar akmal didnt set the world alight did he?

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ Guy View Post
    umar akmal didnt set the world alight did he?
    No, but neither did the likes of Phillip Hughes and Adrian Barath.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Devon Smith and Anthony McGrath are the two that stand out in my mind as having dominated youth cricket but never made the step up.

I think the most interesting cases are that of players who completely change their roles. Vikram Solanki batted 10 and and played as a frontline spinner, while Nathan Hauritz batted three for Queensland Under 19s and didn't bowl; I think he slotted in at six a couple of times for Australian Under 19s too but I'm not sure if he ever did it in a World Cup.
    pretty sure ritz was the main spinner on the '99 england tour.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Nice to see Sarwan as leading wicket-taker in the 97/98 tournament, averaging just over 10 runs per wicket, not quite performed as well as that with the ball in International cricket. The team you could make from that tournament is pretty decent also:

Chris Gayle
    Virender Sehwag
    Ramnaresh Sarwan
    Owais Shah
    Marcus North
    Prassana Jayawardene +
    James Hopes
    James Franklin
    Kyle Mills
    Graeme Swann
    Harbhajan Singh

Decent enough side that, some good players. Not many real stand out bowlers, but that's not a bad attack really. Harbhajan Singh at 11 provides real batting depth as well. Love that opening pair as well, 2 of the best in the world atm.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Malcolm Marshall's first season in Barbados Under-19s (admittedly not his sole Youth Test and Youth ODI) saw him still batting four and bowling first-change.

Following season though he was opening the bowling and captaining, to devastating effect.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Wow at our side during the 1988 U19 World Cup. Only Law ever played international cricket for us (although Mullally dogged us and played for the Poms. )
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    If there's one thing Alan Mullally didn't do it's dogged the Australian Test team - he had precious little effect whenever he played a Test against them.

Was a damn good ODI bowler though and for that reason I'm glad we got him.

Thread Information