• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hollywood Cricket

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The majority of sports movies, in my opinion, languish between mediocre and poor. Without even considering cricket-themed films. So it got me thinking about potential films and the casts that might be attached if they got made.

A few months ago I started a research project with a view to a screenplay about Lloyd's West Indies side. Over time, as you may expect, I was overwhelmed with the amount of research required and found that I did not have the time to continue. The pains of a full-time job etc. Anyway...

Working Title: Grovel
Pitch: Well, we all know what it's about from the title, surely.

Cast:

Viv Richards..........Sam L. Jackson (Snake On A Plane, lesser works)
Not necessarily for the looks, but definitely has the swagger to bring the role to life.

Clive Lloyd..........Denzel Washington (all sorts of awesome stuff)
One of the most respected men in the history of sport? Has to be Denzel.

Gordon Greenidge..........Malik Yoba (Cool Runnings)
The best resemblance I can think of right now.

Lawrence Rowe..........Djimon Hounsou (Blood Diamond)
Because Leo Di Caprio isn't available.

Andy Roberts..........Mos Def (Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy)
Some resemblance?

Wayne Daniel..........Romany Malco (40 Year Old Virgin)

Michael Holding.........Leon (Cool Runnings)
Nuff said.

Derryck Murray..........Gerry Bednob (40 Year Old Virgin)
Maybe a bit old though.

Tony Greig..........Matt Damon (Team America: World Police)
If he can do Bourne, he can do Greig.

Bob Willis...........Ryan Styles (Whose Line Is It Anyway)
Nuff said.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
The only reference to cricket I have seen in videogames is in the game "Bully" where the bat is used a weapon in melee fights. Movies? Can't think of any.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The only reference to cricket I have seen in videogames is in the game "Bully" where the bat is used a weapon in melee fights. Movies? Can't think of any.
Slumdog Millionaire & Shaun of the Dead are the two that immediately spring to mind. There'll be dozens of others that reference the game or cricket bats.

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
There's a bit of cricket in EA Sports Cricket 09, if I remember correctly.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket.

Cricket?
Nobody understands cricket.

You got to know what a crumpet
is to understand cricket.

I'll teach you.

Bob Willis...........Ryan Styles (Whose Line Is It Anyway)
Harsh IMO. Willis was gangly but a moody, nasty and surly quick when the mood was upon him. Some of the time he looked like he was about to go on a killing spree.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harsh IMO. Willis was gangly but a moody, nasty and surly quick when the mood was upon him. Some of the time he looked like he was about to go on a killing spree.
It was a last minute decision to call up Styles. Up until then I had Bob Willis playing the role.

pasag

RTDAS
A cricket bat is used for torture in a prison camp in Rendition (iirc). In the video game Quantum of Solace there's a room with paintings of cricketers.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Quite excellent trick photography on the poster of this new movie here. If you look carefully, you'll notice a cricket bat in there :-O

King Pietersen

International Captain

This film mentions Cricket a few times I think........I saw the dvd in HMV a few months back, looks like one of the worst horror/comedy-horror movies ever made. May be worth a watch for the lolz. Here's a little write up of the basic plot:

"After being bullied and beaten by teammates 20 years earlier, a cricketer returns to get revenge. One by one the killer slashes his ex-teammates to ribbons. Scotland Yard is called upon to help hunt the killer that is terrorizing the team and all of Australia.

Team members are relocated to a safe-house that is not too safe! You will need a score card to keep up with the body count as the shocking rampage turns the game of Cricket into a blood sport!"

Sounds like a classic. :laugh: