• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting to drop down the order?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He's been up and down. IIRC in 08 he averaged 47. After so many years of relentless scoring, he's been bound to have a trough. Having said that, he has let many of his starts go. What's more frustrating is that he doesn't actually look like he is having much trouble but is just not scoring the runs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's been up and down. IIRC in 08 he averaged 47. After so many years of relentless scoring, he's been bound to have a trough. Having said that, he has let many of his starts go. What's more frustrating is that he doesn't actually look like he is having much trouble but is just not scoring the runs.
I agree. Unlike Tendulkar from 04-06 and Dravid from 07-08, Ponting doesn't exactly 'look' out of form. Similar claims were made against Kallis in 2008 when he looked at sea.

Happens to all the greats though. I said a while ago (before people really started to note Ponting's lack of scores) that Ponting will never be what he was because it wasn't injury (until now) that was resulting in his failures, but simply age... which catches up to everyone. That doesn't mean he's not an all-time great or anything.

Sir Alex

Banned
He couldn't have chosen a worse time to hit a trough because it's in the last 18 months that Australia needed him more than ever.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
True. If he had been averaging lower in the years we were dominating we probably wouldn't have noticed it as much.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
He couldn't have chosen a worse time to hit a trough because it's in the last 18 months that Australia needed him more than ever.
It is like saying Ponting couldn't have chosen a worse time to get older. It would be interesting to see If cricket Australia will start to push Ponting towards retirement like they did to Waugh and Hayden.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It is like saying Ponting couldn't have chosen a worse time to get older. It would be interesting to see If cricket Australia will start to push Ponting towards retirement like they did to Waugh and Hayden.
Doubt it atm. It's not like there's a ton of youthful batsmen knocking on the door by scoring bucket loads of runs

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Doubt it atm. It's not like there's a ton of youthful batsmen knocking on the door by scoring bucket loads of runs
M Klinger 655 @ 109.16
U Khawaja 485 @ 60.62
S Marsh 477 @ 59.62
G Bailey 456 @ 57.00
M Cosgrove 388 @ 64.66
S Smith 267 @ 89.00

I of course want Ponting to remain but the batsman above are scoring heaps of run domestically this season. I guess you may not consider Klinger youthful though.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't mind seeing Marsh get a run soon.

I still have a feeling that Ponting is injured somewhat though, and there's no way he'd sit out a test due to a niggle.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Is Ponting really in a trough or he just not making the unbelievable mountain of runs he has been previously ? Maybe the world's bowlers are just catching up.

Did someone say Ferguson for #3 ? *shakes head*

And Ponting > Hodge

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
M Klinger 655 @ 109.16
U Khawaja 485 @ 60.62
S Marsh 477 @ 59.62
G Bailey 456 @ 57.00
M Cosgrove 388 @ 64.66
S Smith 267 @ 89.00

I of course want Ponting to remain but the batsman above are scoring heaps of run domestically this season. I guess you may not consider Klinger youthful though.
None of them have really done it for more than a season or two though really, that's the problem.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Is Ponting really in a trough or he just not making the unbelievable mountain of runs he has been previously ? Maybe the world's bowlers are just catching up.

Did someone say Ferguson for #3 ? *shakes head*

And Ponting > Hodge
*Hands up*, yea long term whenever he plays test he looks so suited to bat @ 3.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I agree. Unlike Tendulkar from 04-06 and Dravid from 07-08, Ponting doesn't exactly 'look' out of form. Similar claims were made against Kallis in 2008 when he looked at sea.

Happens to all the greats though. I said a while ago (before people really started to note Ponting's lack of scores) that Ponting will never be what he was because it wasn't injury (until now) that was resulting in his failures, but simply age... which catches up to everyone. That doesn't mean he's not an all-time great or anything.
Yea this is the key, watching Ponting bat since SRI 07/08 i dont see any real signs of decline like Tendy for much the 02-07. Still think he is one BIG innings away from looking like a genius again, like what Tendy did vs AUS 07/08.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
None of them have really done it for more than a season or two though really, that's the problem.
Hard to be awesome for more than a season or two and still be young and out of the team :)

2009-2010
M Klinger 655 @ 109.16
U Khawaja 485 @ 60.62
S Marsh 477 @ 59.62
G Bailey 456 @ 57.00
M Cosgrove 388 @ 64.66
S Smith 267 @ 89.00

2008-2009
M Klinger 1203 @ 70.76
U Khawaja 525 @ 47.72
S Marsh
G Bailey
M Cosgrove 303 @ 60.60
S Smith

These 3 have done well, going by stats.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
You only have to do it for a couple of seasons these days to get a look in anyway

*Hands up*, yea long term whenever he plays test he looks so suited to bat @ 3.
Maybe in beach cricket

Hard to be awesome for more than a season or two and still be young and out of the team :)

2009-2010
M Klinger 655 @ 109.16
U Khawaja 485 @ 60.62
S Marsh 477 @ 59.62
G Bailey 456 @ 57.00
M Cosgrove 388 @ 64.66
S Smith 267 @ 89.00

2008-2009
M Klinger 1203 @ 70.76
U Khawaja 525 @ 47.72
S Marsh
G Bailey
M Cosgrove 303 @ 60.60
S Smith

These 3 have done well, going by stats.
Marsh has only really now started to show some consistency at state level, but someone said earlier he's being groomed, so he could be the next for this spot. You could do worse than Klinger but how old will he be when Ponting is ready to move on ?. But lets be honest, Ponting will play for 2-3 more years yet, and the likelihood or him dropping down the order is low

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe in beach cricket
Haa, well if people are seriously suggesting Marsh should be/is being groomed for the future #3 spot then Ferguson definately should be in consideration.

With North looking poor ATM & Hussey a bit earlier in the season, if Ferguson wasn't injured i reckon the selectors already would have penciled him for a test spot once a vacancy came.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Maybe if your on crack.

Marsh is better suited to the top 3 technically than Ferguson, but has done little to date apart from the start of this season, In fact he was a middle order batsman until recently, but just because people keep saying he should be there doesn't mean you should just throw up another name just for the hell of it. Lets throw Cameron White in there just for ****s and giggles.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yea this is the key, watching Ponting bat since SRI 07/08 i dont see any real signs of decline like Tendy for much the 02-07. Still think he is one BIG innings away from looking like a genius again, like what Tendy did vs AUS 07/08.
Yeah I agree. He looks in fine touch but will suddenly find ways to get out just as he looks like kicking on

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe if your on crack.

Marsh is better suited to the top 3 technically than Ferguson, but has done little to date apart from the start of this season, In fact he was a middle order batsman until recently, but just because people keep saying he should be there doesn't mean you should just throw up another name just for the hell of it. Lets throw Cameron White in there just for ****s and giggles.
Ha, well seeing Marsh batting in ODIs i dont see how you can say he is technically suited to batting in top 3 in tests TBH. He plays around his front pad too much.

Ferguson has alot of M Waugh & Martyn in his batting, which down the line i'd say is potential # 3 stuff. But ATM if he debuts for AUS lets say in the Ashes next summer he would have to bat @ 6.