• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best batsman, across years and formats

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tendulkar's ODI points are epic.

I predicted the top 5, though would have thought Ponting may have edged Lara for his ODI exploits.

Kallis has gone under the radar in both forms.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah agree with cruxdude. I don't care much about ODI cricket but you don't need stats to prove Tendulkar is the best batsman across ODI and Test formats.

It is a bit rich to call him the best batsman across formats though. There is first class cricket which isn't being considered. Like ODI cricket was played so frequently for an era, particularly in the subcontinent, First Class cricket was played extensively in England earlier on. Some one like Jack Hobbs would probably be twisting in his grave.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
not the best way to analyze but a decent effort and I guess if you take players who have played both formats, that is perhaps the sort of ranking you would end up with..

Still tend to think Lara slightly better than Sachin in tests personally but Sachin easily best combining both formats. :) He is a real maestro...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its not a ODI list, its a combined list. Symonds was ordinary at tests.

He probably has a high ODI rating.

bagapath

International Captain
Its not a ODI list, its a combined list. Symonds was ordinary at tests.

He probably has a high ODI rating.
am talking about the odi list. there are separate lists for tests and odis linked from the main article. check them out.

Dissector

International Debutant
This is the ODI list. I am guessing that they restricted themselves to players with significant test careers in preparing that list; otherwise Symonds would surely be on.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I find it hard to believe Ponting came behind Lara, who came 2nd. Ponting's one of the best ODI and Test players of all-time, done it on the biggest stages and has the medals to go along with his talent.

Aside from this stats based list, I reckon Viv was probably the best combined.

bagapath

International Captain
I find it hard to believe Ponting came behind Lara, who came 2nd. Ponting's one of the best ODI and Test players of all-time, done it on the biggest stages and has the medals to go along with his talent.

Aside from this stats based list, I reckon Viv was probably the best combined.
of course he is. that is why he is so far up in that list. no.4 on that list is a huge huge honor. that is well above g.chappell, border and so many other giants of both forms of the game. the writer reckons ricky would push richards and lara behind by the end of this year and occupy the no.2 spot behind sachin. statistically sachin, ponting, lara and richards sounds correct to me. aesthetically it would be richards, lara, sachin and ricky, IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha I know, so weird. No one even suggested Ponting wasn't one of the greatest batsmen... either with ODIs or tests.

Weird post from Ikki. I agree that I was surprised over the two formats Lara was ahead, but Lara too was one of the greatest ODI and test batsmen!

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeh, I didn't say people suggested he wasn't. I just don't see how Lara is ahead of Ponting even then. I think Tendulkar, Ponting and Viv are pretty close but I don't think Lara compares as a ODI player to them as he does as a Test player. There are many players as good if not better than Lara as a ODI batsmen, but I think only Viv and Tendulkar really are ahead of Ponting and with the possible exception of Bevan none ahead of Viv or Sachin.

I mentioned Ponting because they pretty much played in the same era but it's probably even worse WRT Viv.

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Yeh, I didn't say people suggested he wasn't. I just don't see how Lara is ahead of Ponting even then. I think Tendulkar, Ponting and Viv are pretty close but I don't think Lara compares as a ODI player to them as he does as a Test player. There are many players as good if not better than Lara as a ODI batsmen, but I think only Viv and Tendulkar really are ahead of Ponting and with the possible exception of Bevan none ahead of Viv or Sachin.

I mentioned Ponting because they pretty much played in the same era but it's probably even worse WRT Viv.
I suspect u didnt see Lara in the early 90s when he made mince meat of all the great Odi attacks to an extent that tendy nor Ponting have matched. Overall Viv and tendy are obviously better but Ponting maybe edges it (not clearly better).

whatever short comings Lara had vs WW, Donald and co, Mcgrath and co in tests, they didnt translate to Odis for Lara smoked them all. See WC 92, total International series 92/93, WSC 92/93, 96/97, etc. People remember Lara fading fast during the last decade but that in no way should detract from his earlier mindboggling exploits.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ikki, Lara averaged above 40 in ODI cricket in an era when runs scored were far less than it is today. 250 was considered a good score where now a score of 280 plus is considered a good score. It is not unfathomable for some one to put Lara above Ponting across these two formats IMO.