• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Bangladesh

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can see England having some trouble in the ODIs for sure. Can't see them losing any tests though. There might be the odd sticky moment but they don't particularly struggle on subcontinental-style decks with the bat and playing out a test for a draw isn't really the Bangladesh way. Would be great to see a competitive series, but I think it looks like a better opportunity for Bangladesh on paper than it really is.

tooextracool

International Coach
I would not introduce fringe players or play moderately experienced guys with moderate success.

Guys like Carberry and Sidebottom doing well against Bangladesh are going to cause more headaches than solve problems.

Id look to focus on player development (eg guys like Broad, Onions, Trott), backbone (Strauss, KP), and blooding young players that may be around for 10 years and can slot into a few spots surrounded by experienced pros.

Ie the future combined with the present core. Id keep Prior as Bangladesh would be a change of environment to keep in. Not a place for middle of the road players (eg Bell and Anderson) or guys that IMO cant cut it (eg Wright, Saj, Bresnan) to pad their stats. IMO the England captaincy is a fulltime job

My XI
1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Trott
4. KP
6. Prior
7. Rashid
8. Broad
9. Swann
11. Onions

Ive left 5 and 10 blank for a young batsman and bowler that the selectors think will be around for a long time. Maybe Denly, Bopara and Finn etc. Ive left them blank as I dont have my finger on the pulse enough to assess the best young prospects.
Yeah I tend to agree with this. There really is no point having ordinary players going out there and scoring meaningless runs and taking wickets because then no matter what happens thereafter they become first in line for a place in the squad when someone drops out.

Player development is key, I think players like Onions, Swann, Broad, Sidebottom, Trott and Rashid would benefit enormously from playing in these conditions because they are younger players who need to improve their skills on slower subcontinental surfaces. Bowlers need to try different things rather than just relying on line and length whilst batsmen need to learn the art of scoring big runs when the ball is not coming onto the bat as well. I would throw Pietersen in there because he needs time in the middle and I dont buy the 'tired' excuse, he needs to play as much cricket as he can at this point and get back to his best.

Cook (c)
-
Trott
Pietersen
J. Taylor
Kieswetter/Davies
Rashid
Swann
Broad
Onions
Sidebottom

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Glad you have a question mark beside KP, I think someone like Broad would be more tired compared with KP.
KP needs to go because he needs more match practice. Quite frankly, as much as he complains about the England schedule, hes played something like 1 county game in 4.5 years and that says something. Players need to be working on their game outside of test match cricket and the highest form of game to be doing it involves in a match situation. The reason why he cant score any runs at the moment is because he simply doesnt have enough match practice coming into the series, and he needs more match time not less. I really hope that England ensure that hes playing at least half of the county season this summer.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I would not introduce fringe players or play moderately experienced guys with moderate success.

Guys like Carberry and Sidebottom doing well against Bangladesh are going to cause more headaches than solve problems.

Id look to focus on player development (eg guys like Broad, Onions, Trott), backbone (Strauss, KP), and blooding young players that may be around for 10 years and can slot into a few spots surrounded by experienced pros.

Ie the future combined with the present core. Id keep Prior as Bangladesh would be a change of environment to keep in. Not a place for middle of the road players (eg Bell and Anderson) or guys that IMO cant cut it (eg Wright, Saj, Bresnan) to pad their stats. IMO the England captaincy is a fulltime job

My XI
1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Trott
4. KP
6. Prior
7. Rashid
8. Broad
9. Swann
11. Onions

Ive left 5 and 10 blank for a young batsman and bowler that the selectors think will be around for a long time. Maybe Denly, Bopara and Finn etc. Ive left them blank as I dont have my finger on the pulse enough to assess the best young prospects.
Pretty much agree with this, except Bell has to play. The bloke's just finally solidifying himself into the team again, I don't think he needs the pressure of Bopara coming in and scoring loads of runs.

Don't know who you add as a bowler, but I guess Plunkett would be in line since they've actually got him on tour now.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
KP needs to go because he needs more match practice. Quite frankly, as much as he complains about the England schedule, hes played something like 1 county game in 4.5 years and that says something. Players need to be working on their game outside of test match cricket and the highest form of game to be doing it involves in a match situation. The reason why he cant score any runs at the moment is because he simply doesnt have enough match practice coming into the series, and he needs more match time not less. I really hope that England ensure that hes playing at least half of the county season this summer.
I still don't like the idea of players missing tests for England to rest, and then playing the IPL, either.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's a Test match. Pick the team that has the greatest chance of winning each game or it ceases to be one. There's no reason anyone who has played an ODI in the last six months or is going to play one in the next six months should ever be rested from a Test.

tooextracool

International Coach
I still don't like the idea of players missing tests for England to rest, and then playing the IPL, either.
Well, I dont think Strauss and Collingwood are likely to gain anything from a tour to Bangladesh. It is really a waste of their time and England dont need them to win the series. They would be better off giving someone else a chance.

As far as IPL is concerned, my perspective is different from most. I think it is important that England players be given the opportunity to play in the IPL because the IPL experience is rich. Not only is playing t20 cricket in India an experience on its own, but being part of the same team as some of the best players from across the globe is an enriching experience. If England want to win the t20 cup, they are far far behind in the world pecking order in t20 cricket, they need to take these sorts of opportunities. From my understanding, most of the players that did well in the IPL were also players that did well in the t20 world cup so perhaps that is a sign.

Stapel

International Regular
Well, I dont think Strauss and Collingwood are likely to gain anything from a tour to Bangladesh. It is really a waste of their time and England dont need them to win the series. They would be better off giving someone else a chance.
But what does a chance mean, when it is against Bangladesh?

tooextracool

International Coach
But what does a chance mean, when it is against Bangladesh?
For younger players with no international experience, it is a chance to get their feet wet. For someone like Rashid, they will get valuable test match experience, away from home in alien conditions, and get first hand experience of being a part of this England test team. Adjusting to the dressing room, warming up to your teammates, coaches etc are all vital parts of fitting in at the international level, its not just scoring runs against Australia.

Uppercut

If England rest Swann and play Rashid in Bangladesh they could well lose. Jesus, I know Bangladesh are bad, but you don't weaken the team THAT much on decks where your spinner will probably be the most important player in the side.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I wouldn't drop Swann (he deserves the stat boost :D) but the seamers would do a job anyway, no way would we lose

flibbertyjibber

Why are people talking of leaving out Swann.If any place is made for 2 spinners it will be Bangladesh so you play him and Rashid.

If you need a young player to be around for 10 years who you want to blood then look no further than Jimmy Taylor.Got a fantastic record so far and is surely going to play at some stage so why not give him a go now.

My personal opinion is that we should rest the stars from the one day series v Bangladesh at home and away,i think building some momentum in the tests is important so we should take no chances.The likes of Colly,Strauss,Anderson,KP,Swann and Broad should play the tests only.Let Bopara,Morgan,Bresnan,Wright,Rashid and Bell play the one dayers.

Woodster

International Captain

My XI
1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Trott
4. KP
6. Prior
7. Rashid
8. Broad
9. Swann
11. Onions

A player such as Sidebottom would add Test experience to that side. As another poster said the side I mooted would be handing a few Test debuts out, therefore the inclusion of someone like Sidebottom would be essential.

I would certainly take Bopara along, and prbably start with him in the Test XI. I also agree a few younger players would also benefit from the trip. As you mention Finn or Denly would more than likely be going in my squad.

Ian Bell would certainly go for me, he should have regained confidence, and now has the chance to really try and help solidify his position, let him continue scoring Test runs, he should not be in need of a rest either.

I understand your theory of combining player development with backbone and the future, and I think the changes I would make would agree with this theory, perhaps barring a couple of backbone players. But you cannot underestimate the benefits of giving players a bit of a break, ask Ponting, ask Collingwood, ask most international players. This, imo, represents an opportunity to allow some of the players in need of a break just that.

As for the captaincy, interesting this one, I think it all depends on the state of Strauss. His job is clearly stressful, tiring, both physically and mentally, and if he needs some time to come back for the summer fully refreshed, then I don't have a problem with that. Greaqt experience for Cook. Cricket sides will increasingly use squad rotation to keep players fresh, the players selected in their places will have the opportunity to play for their country, enhance their chances of selection in the future, the make-up of the side, and the actual selection of players I am not 100% sure of yet, but will give it more thought.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We all know Bopara can bash poor attacks, I wouldn't play him myself.
Carberry in for Strauss is the only change I'd consider making other than resting Colly.

As for the bowling attack I'd only consider giving Anderson and Broad a break. I'd play Rashid as two spinners isn't a bad idea in Bangladesh and the experience he'd gain from playing would benefit him a great deal IMO. Also his batting helps the balance of the side if we're resting Broad. Sidebottom in for Anderson. The 3rd seamer spot is the only real spot I'm not sure about but I'm not convinced Broad will be rested anyway.

Carberry/Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Prior
B/R/S
B/R
R/S
Sidebottom
Onions

The 7/8/9 spots will be made up of Swann, Rashid, Broad or whoever plays instead of Broad.

tooextracool

International Coach
If England rest Swann and play Rashid in Bangladesh they could well lose. Jesus, I know Bangladesh are bad, but you don't weaken the team THAT much on decks where your spinner will probably be the most important player in the side.
Who has suggested not playing Swann? i would play 2 spinners and have Prior at 6.

Flem274*

123/5
I wouldn't drop Swann (he deserves the stat boost :D) but the seamers would do a job anyway, no way would we lose
Not quoting you specifically, but as an example of the overconfidence here.

We were pretty ****y too, as it turns out we needed Vettori to play the game of his life to win. Bangladesh are pretty good at home these days.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

We were pretty ****y too, as it turns out we needed Vettori to play the game of his life to win. Bangladesh are pretty good at home these days.
Yes someone (and not just the West Indies 3rd XI) is going to get it in the neck sooner or later, and an understrength England would be prime candidates.

Woodster

International Captain

We were pretty ****y too, as it turns out we neeaded Vettori to play the game of his life to win. Bangladesh are pretty good at home these days.
Tbf, they only played one Test at home in 2009, a 465 run defeat against Sri Lanka, whcih doesn't exactly support your point. Not including the NZ series in 08, they suffered a 5-wicket defeat and an innings and 205 run defeat against SA and a 107 run defeat against Sri Lanka in 2008. I agree that they are becoming more competitive, especially in ODI cricket, but their Test cricket, even at home, is far from pretty good imo.