• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Bangladesh

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Trott got a stinker hey

Surprised no-one mentioned his reaction to being given out though. If it had been Broad then I imagine one or two would have been in to have a go.

The_roc

U19 Captain
I'd tear off their minnow badge the second they secure a test win against a team like England/SA/Australia. Preferably in their home country.
They played an average England team, at home, and lost both games even though they were played on placid pitches. The batting could have a future but the bowling is dire.

A way to go yet before they can be considered serious opposition.

The_roc

U19 Captain
EDIT: Athers just trotted out a good stat. Only three test batsman have more centuries than Cook at his age: Sobers, Bradman & Sachin. Heady company, tbf.
More likely another meaningless stat.

Cook has played in 54 tests and at a similar age Sobers had played in only 37 and Bradman 22. If you had a list of who had the most centuries after 54 tests, there would be an awful lot of people ahead of Ali C.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Doesn't make it meaningless though. I think people are overestimating what it means to be picked for Test cricket as young as Cook was. I know it's not unique, but not many batsmen break into the England team at all for Tests by the time they are Cook's age, nevermind have 10 tons and a 100% record as skipper.

We pick young bowlers fairly regularly, but how many other batsmen have played Tests at 21 for England? Not many, I'd imagine.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well what a good tour this has been. I've really enjoyed it. I'm glad hat we won every game but Bangladesh look like a team with some promise now.

Cook did well. I'm not desperately bothered about his captaincy, he'll learn from this and will be better when he's brought back into that role full time. Much more importantly he's back in the runs and is now establishing himself as one of our leading batsmen. 12 Test centuries at the age of 25 is pretty impressive - I'd echo what GIMH has to say about that.

Just watching Andy Flower in the post-match chat. WAG. The longer he's with us, the better.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hussain

(if you include all-rounders you can add Close, Hollioake and Botham)
Typed out Hussain, think I accidentally deleted him when typing my and. Y'know when you select text with the mouse and then type it replaces it.
I didn't include allrounders or keepers.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Pathetic but predictable from Bangladesh. Return series weather permitting should be 3 day affairs. Ian Bell averages 244 against Bangladesh. :laugh:

DingDong

State Captain
were the umpires on the take???? umpiring was sooo poor this game. possibly the worst umpiring i have ever seen in a test match and i've been watching cricket for over one and a hald years now.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Wow this was unstickied fast and on 2nd page already. What is the normal time period after the series ends before a thread is no longer a sticky? I thought at least a week. am I wrong?

grecian

Great article from Atherton in the Times.

Puts all this "but they're not Test standard" malarkey into some perspective:)

BTW Athers has won two big awards recently for his journalism, well-deserved too :)

Last edited:

andyc

Wow this was unstickied fast and on 2nd page already. What is the normal time period after the series ends before a thread is no longer a sticky? I thought at least a week. am I wrong?
Mm, seems to have been done fairly hastily. Would resticky it, but kinda pointless now.