• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Haddin

Is Brad Haddin Australia's best wicket-keeping option?

• Total voters

Josh

International Regular
What are your thoughts?? I think he isn't really a test quality keeper, and at his age, he isn't going to become one any time soon. Granted, he adds a lot with the bat, but he seems to let through an amazing amount of opportunities AND byes.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes. At the moment he is. He's probably not the best gloveman in the country, but he's earned his spot and hasn't really done anything terrible to warrant being replaced.

tooextracool

International Coach
Accidentally hit no, but honestly dont think his keeping is bad enough to warrant dropping and anytime you have a keeper averaging 40 odd and capable of scoring centuries, he is one to keep.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
He can be a bit sloppy down the leg side sometimes but his catching is often superb and he doesn't put down many chances while his batting adds tremendous depth to the middle/lower order

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's good enough and has shown enough to warrant his place in the Australian team. He's hardly a failure with the gloves, can be sloppy at times but so can Dhoni, Prior and Akmal.

I get the feeling that it's all or nothing with him with regards to his batting. If he comes in with Aust in a good position, he can further kill the opposition and if he comes in in trouble, its a roll of the dice. He'll either fail or hit Australia back in the game.

I guess that's all you can ask from your keeper/batsman at 7.

Either way, he's good to watch with the bat when he's going, and he looks like a massive dickhead of a bloke (from a far of course).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's probably not the best gloveman in the country.
Don't think there are any probablies about it; he certainly isn't. I actually think it's highly likely that none of us would have even heard of the best gloveman in the country; he's probably a lousy bat and plays third grade or something like that. As a package though I definitely think Haddin's the best option - as TEC said, it's a tough call to drop a bloke who can keep wicket to a decent standard and average 40 with the bat. He's not awesome with the gloves but I certainly think he's better than Prior and Akmal for example - he's decent enough.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's good enough and has shown enough to warrant his place in the Australian team. He's hardly a failure with the gloves, can be sloppy at times but so can Dhoni, Prior and Akmal.

I get the feeling that it's all or nothing with him with regards to his batting. If he comes in with Aust in a good position, he can further kill the opposition and if he comes in in trouble, its a roll of the dice. He'll either fail or hit Australia back in the game.

I guess that's all you can ask from your keeper/batsman at 7.

Either way, he's good to watch with the bat when he's going, and he looks like a massive dickhead of a bloke (from a far of course).
This. Actually think he's keeping better this summer than he has before at Test level.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well he's not throwing his glove at the ball and costing his team 5 runs, so he's doing something right.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I don't really think Haddin's keeping is any worse than Gilchrist's was to be honest, remember Gilly used to have his shockers with the gloves now and then (eg England in 2001), and it wasn't unheard of for him to drop some pretty regulation chances, however he was always capable of balancing the ledger by taking the odd screamer. Haddin seems much the same to me.

And Haddin's batting is comfortably better than any of the other contenders at this point.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Haddin is doing a perfectly competent job at the moment. The wicketkeeping talent in Australia is strong at the moment, but not Test quality strong.

Tim Paine: Young, plenty of talent. About on par to Haddin with the gloves, and done bugger all with the bat in first class cricket. No competition as of now, most likely to take over when Haddin retires and the selectors like him.

Wade: Youngest of the competition, still quite raw. Glovework still needs time to improve, and needs to string together a full season of first class success to gain serious respect as a possible Test gloveman.

Manou: The Wade Seccombe of this generation. Terrific keeper, just touching on first class standard with the bat. Has improved immensely, but is in no way placing pressure on Haddins spot.

Hartley: Best first class keeper in the country, but only just starting to find his feet as a batsmen. At 27 and after half a decade playing first class cricket, his time to prove himself as international class will come in the next 3-4 seasons.

Ronchi: Has form, but is so hit and miss, below average keeper. Will be a joke if he ever makes it to Test level.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't really think Haddin's keeping is any worse than Gilchrist's was to be honest, remember Gilly used to have his shockers with the gloves now and then (eg England in 2001), and it wasn't unheard of for him to drop some pretty regulation chances, however he was always capable of balancing the ledger by taking the odd screamer. Haddin seems much the same to me.

And Haddin's batting is comfortably better than any of the other contenders at this point.
I don't think Gilchrist of Haddin would be in the top 5 glovemen to play for Australia. Granted, Gilchrist has been Australia's best ever Batsman/Keeper, but as far as pure keeping ability neither would be in the top 5.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I don't think Gilchrist of Haddin would be in the top 5 glovemen to play for Australia. Granted, Gilchrist has been Australia's best ever Batsman/Keeper, but as far as pure keeping ability neither would be in the top 5.
Yeah I don't imagine they would be either, not saying I rate Haddin's keeping all that highly, I just don't think his glovework is any worse than what we've been getting over the past decade..