• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Haddin

Is Brad Haddin Australia's best wicket-keeping option?

• Total voters

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
From what I've seen, that's highly debatable. Would definitely take Manou ahead of him on keeping alone.
What was the go with Manou when he filled for Haddin or actually Paine in India. I remember following on Cricinfo where he let through about 20 byes in an ODI.

I'm not going to judge Manou on only that one performance, but could someone who watched the game explain how he kept so poorly that day.

Briony

International Debutant
Haddin doesn't value his wicket enough. It's not as if he hasn't got potential replacements breathing down his neck.

Xuhaib

International Coach
forget the byes atlesat the lad can catch give him to us and we will pay you back with both the Akmals.

Jayzamann

International Regular
forget the byes atlesat the lad can catch give him to us and we will pay you back with both the Akmals.
Hey that could work out. We need some young gusto in the middle order and keeping to Hauritz shouldn't be that tricky.

Woodster

International Captain
Brad Haddin for me is the best keeper/batsman in the world right now, taking into consideration both disciplines. His glovework is none too shabby, and has taken some excellent catches during the WI and Pakistan series. His keeping on the whole I think is pretty good, and certainly not bad enough to warrant being dropped.

His batting is his strength and he is ideal for Australia coming in at 7 playing his positive brand of cricket. There are few cleaner strikers of the ball in cricket, and his hitting down the ground is an absolute joy. There is no question in mind that he is worthy of holding down this position for Australia for some time to come yet.

Sir Alex

Banned
Brad Haddin for me is the best keeper/batsman in the world right now, taking into consideration both disciplines. His glovework is none too shabby, and has taken some excellent catches during the WI and Pakistan series. His keeping on the whole I think is pretty good, and certainly not bad enough to warrant being dropped.

His batting is his strength and he is ideal for Australia coming in at 7 playing his positive brand of cricket. There are few cleaner strikers of the ball in cricket, and his hitting down the ground is an absolute joy. There is no question in mind that he is worthy of holding down this position for Australia for some time to come yet.
MSDhoni disagrees.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
When he remembers to keep his fingers behind the stumps (which admittedly he's never no balled for as the umpires are never trained to look for it), he's a perfectly passable keeper and he's very close to being the best keeper-batsman there is.

slowfinger

International Debutant

I would think that 'best' is a bit too tight. He is slightly inconsistent as a batsman but his keeping is fine. You can't say he is better than the likes of Dhoni/Prior and Boucherl but he certainly isn't too far off them when he's on fire.

Woodster

International Captain
I would think that 'best' is a bit too tight. He is slightly inconsistent as a batsman but his keeping is fine. You can't say he is better than the likes of Dhoni/Prior and Boucherl but he certainly isn't too far off them when he's on fire.
He may not necessarily be a better batsman that Dhoni, but is a far better keeper for me, putting the two together I think he offers the best overall package.

slowfinger

International Debutant
He may not necessarily be a better batsman that Dhoni, but is a far better keeper for me, putting the two together I think he offers the best overall package.
But also keep in mind Dhoni captains the side most of the time.

Woodster

International Captain
But also keep in mind Dhoni captains the side most of the time.
I appreciate that, and he does a decent job, but if we are talking about best keeper/batsman, for me Haddin has it, perhaps if we're talking best captain, Dhoni has it.
Dhoni also has fair more media and fan pressure to deal with aswell.

As a batsman I don't particularly enjoy watching Dhoni's style, although I do appreciate the job he does. But he still has plenty to prove outside of India, he has only one century outside of his home country, and that on the absolute featherbed that is Faislabad.

His keeping for me is untidy, he goes for things with one hand when unnecessary, spills more than he should, and generally looks mechanical. He is of course capable of pulling off a screamer.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I appreciate that, and he does a decent job, but if we are talking about best keeper/batsman, for me Haddin has it, perhaps if we're talking best captain, Dhoni has it.
Dhoni also has fair more media and fan pressure to deal with aswell.

As a batsman I don't particularly enjoy watching Dhoni's style, although I do appreciate the job he does. But he still has plenty to prove outside of India, he has only one century outside of his home country, and that on the absolute featherbed that is Faislabad.

His keeping for me is untidy, he goes for things with one hand when unnecessary, spills more than he should, and generally looks mechanical. He is of course capable of pulling off a screamer.
Lets call it evens?