• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Indian Premier League 2010

pasag

RTDAS
Well I think that IPL is a short minded game. Why do you think Dilshan was dropped? The man was the hottest item over the last year in T20 cricket, but he was dropped on the basis of form. Thats how the game works, you dont let a guy just crap around for 5 games until he eventually delivers, not while you have the likes of Eoin Morgan and Pandey warming the bench.

The whole form is temporary but class is permanent idea may be romantic, but the bottom line is that in t20 cricket form is the only thing that matters.
Yeah and I think that was stupid. Delhi's a slightly different case though because they have world class talent bursting at the seams. Bangalore have stuck by their players and we've seen substantial results because of it.

tooextracool

International Coach
Yeah and I think that was stupid. Delhi's a slightly different case though because they have world class talent bursting at the seams. Bangalore have stuck by their players and we've seen substantial results because of it.
Well I think we just have two different understandings of the game then. I dont rate Pietersen in this form, certainly not over the Morgan's, Taylor's, Kohli's of this world, and it is an absolute joke that he gets to bat above all of them, especially while hes not in form.

Dissector

International Debutant
Clearly Bangalore lost the game in the first ten overs. I don't blame Kallis that much ; he acclerated towards the end and he is presumably meant to play the relatively quiet role. Pietersen and White lost the game by scoring just 20 runs off 30 balls.

pasag

RTDAS
Well I think we just have two different understandings of the game then. I dont rate Pietersen in this form, certainly not over the Morgan's, Taylor's, Kohli's of this world, and it is an absolute joke that he gets to bat above all of them, especially while hes not in form.
Fair enough, will be sure to quote this post when KP blasts his way to IPL glory though :p

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pietersen will do alright if not exceptionally in the IPL, I'm more curious as to why White has been such an abject failure.

tooextracool

International Coach
Clearly Bangalore lost the game in the first ten overs. I don't blame Kallis that much ; he acclerated towards the end and he is presumably meant to play the relatively quiet role. Pietersen and White lost the game by scoring just 20 runs off 30 balls.
I wouldn't be that simplistic about it. Their fielding was shoddy throughout and their bowlers were ordinary as well. Delhi outperformed them is all aspects of the game today and RCB really need to re-visit their selection because I honestly do think that they should be playing Steyn.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I wouldn't be that simplistic about it. Their fielding was shoddy throughout and their bowlers were ordinary as well. Delhi outperformed them is all aspects of the game today and RCB really need to re-visit their selection because I honestly do think that they should be playing Steyn.
Easy White out, Steyn in. Swap Mithun for Pandey.

tooextracool

International Coach
Fair enough, will be sure to quote this post when KP blasts his way to IPL glory though :p
Personally, hes too selfish to succeed in a team of stars. He would probably do better if he played for Rajasthan than for Bangalore.

His wildheave in the first ball of the 18th over against Punjab the other day is 'classic Pietersen'. Uthappa had just hammered Brett Lee all over the park, and with 23 (18) required logic would dictate, all you needed to do was push for the single and hand over the strike but instead, he wanted to outdo his younger less celebrated partner. As long as he continues to bat with this sort of arrogance, he will never be the great player that he craves to be.

tooextracool

International Coach
Dunno what doubt there was in that, was plum. Pietersen and White and to a lesser extent Kallis just left too much to do in this match. Kallis has anchored the innings quite well and has a healthy strike rate. Must be one of the top 6 scorers in the IPL don't know why he cops so much flak on here.
Needs to play according to situation, which he often doesnt.

Sir Alex

Banned
Kp's and kallis' slow partnership cost this game for Rcb. They sucked the momentum out of the chase and by the 8th over the game was virtually over.

I agree overall fielding standards have been dire. But the presumption that only the home players are dropping chances is just wrong. Even the relatively stronger fielders like gibbs, sanga, bopara, warner, colly, bravo, tildil, abe all have dropped sitters. Gilly has messed up several easy stumpings, etc. I think it's quite hard to field in 40 degree heat, and the high catches are very difficult to take under lights.

Sir Alex

Banned
Needs to play according to situation, which he often doesnt.
Yes, the concept of 'sheet anchor' doesn't work out in t20s really unless you've a very negative mindset and are expecting a batting collapse everytime.

Even if wickets fall, hitting out of the situation is a better option than hanging around with a run a ball innings which sort of completely negate any chances of posting a good total.

And it is not as if kallis has been under pressure due to other batsmen not performing. He seems be oblivious to the required rate and is more than happy to take his time and score at 7.2 even if asking rate is 10 or more. The fact that he's batting till the last few overs make it all the more worse as he uses up nearly half of the team innings and is causing only more pressure on the remaining batsmen. Today alone he used up a third of the total deliveries available and yet contributed only 29 percent of the target. That for me is a negative value adding resource.
Now if it'd been a team like Rr who're woefully short of consistent and reliable batsman, i'd have looked at him in a different light as the his presence would reduce their tendency to collapse in a heap early on. But Brc are chokeful with strokemakers that this guy is like the dog that neither eats grass nor let the cows have it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally, hes too selfish to succeed in a team of stars. He would probably do better if he played for Rajasthan than for Bangalore.

His wildheave in the first ball of the 18th over against Punjab the other day is 'classic Pietersen'. Uthappa had just hammered Brett Lee all over the park, and with 23 (18) required logic would dictate, all you needed to do was push for the single and hand over the strike but instead, he wanted to outdo his younger less celebrated partner. As long as he continues to bat with this sort of arrogance, he will never be the great player that he craves to be.
I'm sorry, this is just absolutely ridiculous. Some players get a label early in their careers and their critics follow them around personifying confirmation bias in an attempt to prove themselves right. Has it really got to the stage where we criticise a batsman for selfishness after he tries to hit a boundary in the 18th over of a Twenty20 match? We can just make up a set of motives for him playing such a shot and impose them upon him- no, he's not trying to score runs to set a bigger total for his side- he's trying to outdo his team-mate. Hmmmmmmmm.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, the concept of 'sheet anchor' doesn't work out in t20s really unless you've a very negative mindset and are expecting a batting collapse everytime.

Even if wickets fall, hitting out of the situation is a better option than hanging around with a run a ball innings which sort of completely negate any chances of posting a good total.

And it is not as if kallis has been under pressure due to other batsmen not performing. He seems be oblivious to the required rate and is more than happy to take his time and score at 7.2 even if asking rate is 10 or more. The fact that he's batting till the last few overs make it all the more worse as he uses up nearly half of the team innings and is causing only more pressure on the remaining batsmen. Today alone he used up a third of the total deliveries available and yet contributed only 29 percent of the target. That for me is a negative value adding resource.
Now if it'd been a team like Rr who're woefully short of consistent and reliable batsman, i'd have looked at him in a different light as the his presence would reduce their tendency to collapse in a heap early on. But Brc are chokeful with strokemakers that this guy is like the dog that neither eats grass nor let the cows have it.
In fairness to Kallis, a strike rate of 128 when chasing 180 is hardly terminal. It's perfectly acceptable, in fact, especially when he's knocking off a decent amount of runs. He's becoming a victim of his reputation here. If (say) Gautam Gambhir had played such an innings there'd be no such criticism- for the record, Gambhir has a career T20 strike rate of 121.

It's not that Kallis doesn't sometimes play too slowly and adversely affect his team's chances- turgid batting in LO games is one of my pet hates- it's just that today isn't a good example of it happening. KP's innings was much worse- although to my eyes that was more down to being hopelessly unable to find the middle of the bat rather than any kind of selfishness.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
I'm sorry, this is just absolutely ridiculous. Some players get a label early in their careers and their critics follow them around personifying confirmation bias in an attempt to prove themselves right. Has it really got to the stage where we criticise a batsman for selfishness after he tries to hit a boundary in the 18th over of a Twenty20 match? We can just make up a set of motives for him playing such a shot and impose them upon him- no, he's not trying to score runs to set a bigger total for his side- he's trying to outdo his team-mate. Hmmmmmmmm.
Err that is all fine and good, except they were chasing so the argument that he was 'trying to set a higher total' is obsolete. Look this isnt the first time Pietersen's arrogance has got the better off him (err Hauritz anyone?) and it wont be the last either. Common sense declares that when you are struggling to get the ball off the square, he'd only been dropped twice at this point, you would give the strike to the man who was on fire, instead he skied another delivery a ball or two later that was again dropped.

I can understand that hes extremely talented but hes turning 30 in a few months and it wont be long before we will all generally come to the acceptance that he has had a largely unfulfilling career given his talent. Unless, of course, he turns a corner.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
In fairness to Kallis, a strike rate of 128 when chasing 180 is hardly terminal. It's perfectly acceptable, in fact, especially when he's knocking off a decent amount of runs. He's becoming a victim of his reputation here. If (say) Gautam Gambhir had played such an innings there'd be no such criticism- for the record, Gambhir has a career T20 strike rate of 121.
I would think if Gambhir had done the same, people would have suggested that his innings cost his team the game. It's not that Kallis is a selfish batsman, I just dont think he has the tools to score at the RR that was required today. Him being out there cost his team the game and maybe RCB should not have had him out there today at all given what the situation demanded.

Sir Alex

Banned
I would think if Gambhir had done the same, people would have suggested that his innings cost his team the game. It's not that Kallis is a selfish batsman, I just dont think he has the tools to score at the RR that was required today. Him being out there cost his team the game and maybe RCB should not have had him out there today at all given what the situation demanded.
Yeah this.

When you've attacking players till no.8 there is no justification in using up half of the innings at a sub par strike rate. It actually pushes the required strike beyond the grasp of remaining batsmen.

Uppercut, did you watch the last match? By about the 9th over of the second innings the fate of the match was sealed. Actually kallis would have got out at a much lower strike rate had it not been for 3 dropped catches one of which fetched him a six.

Perceptions play a role here too. Had it been say Yusuf pathan or gilly who'd been batting at 125 sr, i'd still back them because they have the game to change it all in a matter of few overs. They've demonstrated that in the past a few times as well. But with kallis it's been predictable, as long as he's around opposition fans including me are actually relieved to some extent.

Further, raising strike rate from 125 to 140 is difficul than 100 to 125.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Lol no.

Uthappa got himself out a couple of balls later anyway. I don't see how hitting boundaries in a tight chase is selfish at all.

Uthappa had swung the match Bangalore's way, but the job still had to be finished off.

brockley

International Captain
Time for mitch marsh to get a go would do better than gilchrist,gibbs and symmo who do not play much pro cricket anymore.