• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mixed sides in cricket

Shri

Mr. Glass
Not talking about building teams based on race btw. Will it be good to have teams in cricket that comprises both men and women in the international XI? What could be the pros and cons of a move like this?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Massive cons: The huge difference in standard between the two ***es when it comes to cricket. Two points in case:
- When I was in third form (ie. aged 13-14) we played in the sixth grade in Dunedin (that's five whole levels below senior, unsurprisingly). In our grade were the Otago senior women's team. We played them twice - once we rolled them for 33, and the other time we knocked them over for 81. They were hopeless.
- Later on, playing second grade for my club, a New Zealand opening bowler (who lived in Dunedin) needed a warm-up game prior to heading off overseas, so she filled in for us on the second day of a two-day game. When she batted, she was backing away from some average-paced bowlers, and when she bowled, her seamers were toothless against pretty standard second-grade batsmen.

Perhaps there are a few female players across the world who would potentially foot it at, say, domestic level, but even that would be a stretch, I'd imagine.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
From the women's cricket I've seen, the pace on the bowlers is just way, way down on the men's cricket.

Not gonna comment on that photo :ph34r:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeh they just arent good enough. About 6 or 7 years ago I was making my way through grade cricket in Canberra, I was playing a fourth grade game and the opposition had a female player who had allegedly played for England A, she was hopeless. Couldn't hit the ball off the square, despite her good technique she couldn't score runs.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I have no qualms in saying that the Under 13 school team I coached in SA from a pool of 44 boys would have easily handled to Womens Provincial team for Northerns. We were a very good team and I had the pleasure with netting with the women and they were terrible.

Just a very low standard though I believe it is improving if the reports are true. By all accounts this isnt the same game Rachael Heyhoe-Flint played but Im yet to see it for myself.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I've played in mixed sides in juniors, and it worked fine. As long as the girls that are picked are of required standard, and of course it helps that the boys are in hysterics and take a stupid run because they don't think a girl can throw.

I'm not sure it's much good for adults, though again I have seen the odd lady holding her own in a club side. Although personally I found it great to play in a ladies side, much more fun.

So yeah, as long as you only pick someone that's good enough, what's the problem?

Dydl

International Debutant
I've played in mixed sides in juniors, and it worked fine. As long as the girls that are picked are of required standard, and of course it helps that the boys are in hysterics and take a stupid run because they don't think a girl can throw.

I'm not sure it's much good for adults, though again I have seen the odd lady holding her own in a club side. Although personally I found it great to play in a ladies side, much more fun.

So yeah, as long as you only pick someone that's good enough, what's the problem?
Agree with this; there are some very talented female players out there that could definitely mix it with the men, and have in some fund-raising games. The main problem is the difference in the styles of game played, particularly in T20s; it's less bashing the ball from the women, resulting in lower scores, and a more even contest between bat and ball. Love both men's and women's games because of their differences.

Really don't agree that they're not good enough; that's definitely not the case, I see it as the games and styles being too different to work well together.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If a woman is good enough to be picked on merit for a Test squad, I have no problem with her being picked. I'd say maybe a woman spinner or something like that could potentially be good enough in the beginning.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would change the channel & stop watch cricket entirely if that ever happened.
Why?

There is absolutely no physical reason why a female player could not become a top shelf spin bowler. I care more about high quality cricket than I do about who plays it.

Having said that I don't think that it's likely at all.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would change the channel & stop watch cricket entirely if that ever happened.
That makes no sense. If someone is sending down great leg breaks, what does it matter what their gender is?

I think it's quite unlikely for a number of reasons, but if for whatever reason, someone comes up that's good enough, I've no problems giving them a chance the same as any other player. I certainly wouldn't go to the length of not watching or picking an inferior player just because of the gender.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Why?

There is absolutely no physical reason why a female player could not become a top shelf spin bowler. I care more about high quality cricket than I do about who plays it.

Having said that I don't think that it's likely at all.
silentstriker said:
silentstrikerThat makes no sense. If someone is sending down great leg breaks, what does it matter what their gender is?

I think it's quite unlikely for a number of reasons, but if for whatever reason, someone comes up that's good enough, I've no problems giving them a chance the same as any other player. I certainly wouldn't go to the length of not watching or picking an inferior player just because of the gender.

HAA, well actually my post wasn't directed to SS point about a "woman spinner" being picked. It was directdd to the opening post talking about a mixed sides, i dont want to ever see that BS in cricket.

But to SS's point, well i dont mind seeing a woman bowling good leg-breaks off-breaks etc. I watched the womens WC & had no prob watching them chicks play. I'm just totally againts the idea of a mixed sides in cricket or any team sport i watch...

Beleg

International Regular
why are ye against that idea if the lads and lasses are being picked on merit?