Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mixed sides in cricket

Mixed sides in cricket

Not talking about building teams based on race btw. Will it be good to have teams in cricket that comprises both men and women in the international XI? What could be the pros and cons of a move like this?

Pros:

Food problems will be minimized a bit.

Cons:

Should build a kitchen.

Anderson and Cook approve.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    That is possibly the worst pic I have seen. Have to wash out my eyes.

Massive cons: The huge difference in standard between the two sexes when it comes to cricket. Two points in case:
    - When I was in third form (ie. aged 13-14) we played in the sixth grade in Dunedin (that's five whole levels below senior, unsurprisingly). In our grade were the Otago senior women's team. We played them twice - once we rolled them for 33, and the other time we knocked them over for 81. They were hopeless.
    - Later on, playing second grade for my club, a New Zealand opening bowler (who lived in Dunedin) needed a warm-up game prior to heading off overseas, so she filled in for us on the second day of a two-day game. When she batted, she was backing away from some average-paced bowlers, and when she bowled, her seamers were toothless against pretty standard second-grade batsmen.

Perhaps there are a few female players across the world who would potentially foot it at, say, domestic level, but even that would be a stretch, I'd imagine.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    From the women's cricket I've seen, the pace on the bowlers is just way, way down on the men's cricket.

Not gonna comment on that photo
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Yeh they just arent good enough. About 6 or 7 years ago I was making my way through grade cricket in Canberra, I was playing a fourth grade game and the opposition had a female player who had allegedly played for England A, she was hopeless. Couldn't hit the ball off the square, despite her good technique she couldn't score runs.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    I have no qualms in saying that the Under 13 school team I coached in SA from a pool of 44 boys would have easily handled to Womens Provincial team for Northerns. We were a very good team and I had the pleasure with netting with the women and they were terrible.

Just a very low standard though I believe it is improving if the reports are true. By all accounts this isnt the same game Rachael Heyhoe-Flint played but Im yet to see it for myself.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post
    That is possibly the worst pic I have seen. Have to wash out my eyes.
    Good point. It could use some Simon Jones.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    I've played in mixed sides in juniors, and it worked fine. As long as the girls that are picked are of required standard, and of course it helps that the boys are in hysterics and take a stupid run because they don't think a girl can throw.

I'm not sure it's much good for adults, though again I have seen the odd lady holding her own in a club side. Although personally I found it great to play in a ladies side, much more fun.

So yeah, as long as you only pick someone that's good enough, what's the problem?

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    So yeah, as long as you only pick someone that's good enough, what's the problem?
    I dont have one. Good luck to those that want to.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    I've played in mixed sides in juniors, and it worked fine. As long as the girls that are picked are of required standard, and of course it helps that the boys are in hysterics and take a stupid run because they don't think a girl can throw.

I'm not sure it's much good for adults, though again I have seen the odd lady holding her own in a club side. Although personally I found it great to play in a ladies side, much more fun.

Agree with this; there are some very talented female players out there that could definitely mix it with the men, and have in some fund-raising games. The main problem is the difference in the styles of game played, particularly in T20s; it's less bashing the ball from the women, resulting in lower scores, and a more even contest between bat and ball. Love both men's and women's games because of their differences.

Really don't agree that they're not good enough; that's definitely not the case, I see it as the games and styles being too different to work well together.
    Supporting: NSW & Australia, women's cricket

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    If a woman is good enough to be picked on merit for a Test squad, I have no problem with her being picked. I'd say maybe a woman spinner or something like that could potentially be good enough in the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

I would change the channel & stop watch cricket entirely if that ever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    I would change the channel & stop watch cricket entirely if that ever happened.
    Why?

There is absolutely no physical reason why a female player could not become a top shelf spin bowler. I care more about high quality cricket than I do about who plays it.

Having said that I don't think that it's likely at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information