• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mixed sides in cricket

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If she was good enough then no problem...it won't happen though. Have a sneaking suspicion she'd get killed if they batted first and would have no chance to show off her bowling talents.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
HAA, well actually my post wasn't directed to SS point about a "woman spinner" being picked. It was directdd to the opening post talking about a mixed sides, i dont want to ever see that BS in cricket.

But to SS's point, well i dont mind seeing a woman bowling good leg-breaks off-breaks etc. I watched the womens WC & had no prob watching them chicks play. I'm just totally againts the idea of a mixed sides in cricket or any team sport i watch...
Why though? I'm asking if someone is good enough, why shouldn't they be picked?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A Test match is no place for a woman, I'm only just about okay with them being allowed to watch it on the telly

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I had the pleasure with netting with the women and they were terrible.
:laugh:

Anyhow Brighton College is an interesting case. It is among the stronger cricketing schools in the country and has produced quite a few FC and international players. Girls often make it into their 1st XI, including recently Holly Colvin and Sarah Taylor, who now both play for England, and before them Clare Connor.

pskov

International 12th Man
I wonder how well someone like Claire Taylor, i.e. one of the greatest female players ever, would do in men's cricket. Obviously she wouldn't be good enough to play for a first-class side but I wouldn't be surprised if she could play as a competent middle order bat for a team in league cricket. Generally I think women batters would fare better than women bowlers though - you can still be a decent batsman without having great strength and being able to hit the ball hard (though it sure helps), whilst even the very quickest female bowlers only hit around 75mph on the speed gun which is pretty much Paul Collingwood pace.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder how well someone like Claire Taylor, i.e. one of the greatest female players ever, would do in men's cricket. Obviously she wouldn't be good enough to play for a first-class side but I wouldn't be surprised if she could play as a competent middle order bat for a team in league cricket. Generally I think women batters would fare better than women bowlers though - you can still be a decent batsman without having great strength and being able to hit the ball hard (though it sure helps), whilst even the very quickest female bowlers only hit around 75mph on the speed gun which is pretty much Paul Collingwood pace.
Obviously will not happen but Id put $500 down that she couldnt last 18 balls (3 overs) against me.

The pace which women bowl at makes it difficult for female batsmen to face quick bowling from men. The are not used to it and dont have techniques ready for it.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
England reserve keeper plays for a Premier League club round here, mostly for the 3rds, who have a few players in much lower school ages groups. Good players, but still effectively children.

On the other hand I could see Clare Taylor destroy a few club attacks. And like Zaremba said, Brighton College aren't doing too badly, although there's been no domination from Taylor or Colvin there looking at the stats. (That said, the standard there is pretty high for schools' cricket here, definitely top-tier or near to).

Can't see it ever happening myself, but certainly wouldn't be against it (how could anyone?).

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Obviously will not happen but Id put $500 down that she couldnt last 18 balls (3 overs) against me.

The pace which women bowl at makes it difficult for female batsmen to face quick bowling from men. The are not used to it and dont have techniques ready for it.
Yeah exactly, I don't see how the female batsmen would have it easier when they'd be facing bowling possibly 15-20mph quicker than they're used to.

I'm disappointed to find out that if I was a woman I would've been test pace though. If I'd have found this out when I was in my early 20's I could've had the operation.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah exactly, I don't see how the female batsmen would have it easier when they'd be facing bowling possibly 15-20mph quicker than they're used to.

I'm disappointed to find out that if I was a woman I would've been test pace though. If I'd have found this out when I was in my early 20's I could've had the operation.
Daughter of Coco doesn't quite sound as good.

I don't think Goughy would have a bowling strike rate of 18 or under if he played women Test Cricket, hard to be completely confident though seeing as though I've never seen him bowl.