• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 will 'finish' Pakistan cricket - Mohammad Yousuf

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Twenty20 will 'finish' Pakistan cricket - Mohammad Yousuf | Cricket News | Australia v Pakistan 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

Thoughts?

Yousuf isn't really the outspoken type, so this has obviously been heavily on his mind. Its important to note he's not anti-Twenty20, he just wants it to not take over Pakistani cricket.

Its interesting to note he references Pakistan's failure to chase 212 against NZ, the famous game where apparently Younis cracked it.

He also compares the Pakistan system to Australia, South Africa and England... where there is probably a more healthy balance of T20 compared to one day and first class cricket.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Twenty20 will 'finish' Pakistan cricket - Mohammad Yousuf | Cricket News | Australia v Pakistan 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

Thoughts?

Yousuf isn't really the outspoken type, so this has obviously been heavily on his mind. Its important to note he's not anti-Twenty20, he just wants it to not take over Pakistani cricket.

Its interesting to note he references Pakistan's failure to chase 212 against NZ, the famous game where apparently Younis cracked it.

He also compares the Pakistan system to Australia, South Africa and England... where there is probably a more healthy balance of T20 compared to one day and first class cricket.
Funnily enough I was about to start a thread called the 'Afridi cancer'.

I was watching some of quaid e -azam trophy this season and something that was very noticeable was good talented batsman with decent technque suddenly having a brain explosion and playing a wild slog. Its something that you can see in Umer Akmal's batting too from time to time.

Any young kid who started following cricket post 99 will have two heroes Afridi and Akhtar.Afridi is argubly the most popular cricketer since Imran Khan so its not a surprise that a lot of the young batsman will have incorprated his batting style in to their own Imran Nazir is the prime example a guy who started with a proper game but gradually he turned in to a slogger as he wanted to match Afridi slog by slog for the the adulation he gets from the fans.

Having said all this I still believe the impact of 20/20 is beng over played by Mo Yo since Butt,Farhat,Faisal are just poor batsman regardless of 20/20 cricket or maybe he has also noticed what I am implying and wants it to be rectified before its too late.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
There are more reasons for the problems they seem to face than just T20. For instance, Pakistani selections are very unstable. We see virtually a different XI every match, and there are changes to the squads regularly. Their problems with openers are well-documented, but they don't help themselves at all by constantly changing the combination. Successful teams have options, but they've got a settled, core group, for a long term.

While many ridicule the likes of Afridi and Nazir for their reckless approach, they still have a job to do, and they often do it well. The fact that Afridi's batting is still a matter of concern shows that the batsmen above him are not doing well- ideally, the grafters above him should score big, setting up a platform for him to attack later on. Likewise, the bowlers have also failed the team often.

Pakistan's best selections have often had at least five bowling options, and batting stretched till eight or nine. The current selections don't conform with either, and don't suit this team- their bowlers can't take twenty wickets, while the batsmen can't last long enough to score big. Their strength has often been in bowling teams out cheaply and then collectively (one to eleven) overhauling (or setting) totals.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think MoYo was necessarily linking the specific loss at Melbourne to 'too much T20', however I think he sees this tour, and his time as captain, as a good chance for him to air his views and concerns overall with Pakistani cricket.

Xuhaib is right regarding the fact that Farhat, Butt and Iqbal's failures had nothing to do with T20. The Akmal brothers did play shots in the first innings that were brain explosion-esque, and Kamran's stumping in the second innings was really stupid. It's as if he couldn't be bothered grinding it out with Yousuf.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I feel once Asif,Amir,Gul and Danish start playing consistently together getting 20 wickets will not be an issue especially if the team continues to play outside sub cont on sporting tracks as it is suppose to for the next few years or so but batting on the other hand makes NZL top order look like 80' windies.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yousuf is totally right and I agree with him.
Pakistan started T20 cricket way back in 2005 and look at the new players coming up in the side.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whilst T20 is a factor it is exaggerated by the dead pitches in Pakistan combined with the lack of Test cricket there since the terrorist attack.

I haven't followed it properly but I presume Pakistan are going to be playing their 'home' Tests in England next few years, that and some county cricket would do their players a lot of good.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
T20 may play a role but it is a easy target. For years before T20 reports have been streaming out of Pakistan about the technical deficincies of young players and the lack of concentration. T20 may exaggerate that but it didnt create it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So Yousuf ****s off for two years to play T20 for piles of cash and leaves his country in the ****, then comes back when the league collapses and within a few months is complaining that T20 is destroying Pakistani cricket?

WAC. If he wants to take the money he can take the money. But he can't come back and then start talking like he gives a damn about the future of test cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
So Yousuf ****s off for two years to play T20 for piles of cash and leaves his country in the ****, then comes back when the league collapses and within a few months is complaining that T20 is destroying Pakistani cricket?

WAC. If he wants to take the money he can take the money. But he can't come back and then start talking like he gives a damn about the future of test cricket.
What do you expect from Pakistan? Yousuf or Younish Khan, they are both a bunch of wankers who have their own self interests at heart. If it were up to me, Khan would never play for Pakistan again, sure it may hurt Pakistan, and Faisal is useless, and has only made it to Test level because of his family, but a stance needs to be taken against the loose cannons, and they know they can't pull their bull**** and to know whether or not they really want to play for Pakistan. Pakistan could be so much better if everybody stopped being so ****ing selfish, but hell would freeze over before that happens.

And before some **** comes in here, yes I have been drinking.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Folks like Yousuf who sell their soul for money will kill Pakistan Cricket. Biggest hypocrite of the cricketing world Yousuf is.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Thats not how it went down at all with MoYo. Last i checked the reason he went to ICL was just like Bond.

They thought they could play the T20 tournament earn some solid money (since after all PAK & NZ players dont get payed like AUS, ENG, IND players) & stilll reprsent their national sides. Then the BCCI started up IPL after ICL & made the ICC ban all players who signed up for ICL. Which left MoYo & Bond in a predicament which was no fault of theirs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Uncle aussie, why have you disabled visitor messages, I was about to wish you a happy new year

slowfinger

International Debutant
I was going to make a thread jsut like this, neing a poll whether or not you agreed or not, but yes I think Yousuf is totally on-the-spot correct. Everyone says T20 is about having fun but if you take that seriously where would you get? I partially blame the ICC for organising so many matches and a t20 world cup every year. If Pakistan can't even play 50 overs without struggling really hard then how will Pakistan progress as a team? They have talent and if Pakistans other talent can show it then they can be in that top 5 and be a threat to other teams. As for Pakistans bowling, I think they are good together. Umar Akmal was a talent completely out of the blue and we need more of that talent.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Thats not how it went down at all with MoYo. Last i checked the reason he went to ICL was just like Bond.

They thought they could play the T20 tournament earn some solid money (since after all PAK & NZ players dont get payed like AUS, ENG, IND players) & stilll reprsent their national sides. Then the BCCI started up IPL after ICL & made the ICC ban all players who signed up for ICL. Which left MoYo & Bond in a predicament which was no fault of theirs.
Actually MoYo was pissed about not being selected for the T20 world cup so he decided to sign up for the ICL. He knew he would get a ban for joining it but didn't care.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Also I think the role of T20 in this is being exaggerated. When I think of Pakistan cricket I usually think of flamboyant players. This predates the T20 revolution.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Didn't MoYo go to the ICL after no IPL side wanted him?
He first signed up with ICL. Then PCB got him back promising a lucrative IPL signing. No IPL team wanted him because ICL was about to sue him at that time and stop him from playing IPL. So he went back to ICL.