• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 will 'finish' Pakistan cricket - Mohammad Yousuf

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Folks like Yousuf who sell their soul for money will kill Pakistan Cricket. Biggest hypocrite of the cricketing world Yousuf is.
While Yousuf was greedy when he left for ICL the second time after not getting an IPL contract..but that does not in any way change the fact. His argument is spot on. While Butt and Farhat lack techniqe, Akmal and Faisal Iqbal got starts and threw it away. In the third test in New Zealand, the top 6 all got 60s and 70s...in my view, its almost a sin to throw away your wicket at 60 because you have done all the hard work, you have got a start..you have to convert that to a 150. That proves that most of Pakistani batsmen lack temperament and patience and its easy go get a false shot out of them by blocking the runs. Thats the effect of T20 in my view.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Well if you play 20/20 that much then your never going to get temperament that easily in one or two days...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
While Yousuf was greedy when he left for ICL the second time after not getting an IPL contract..but that does not in any way change the fact. His argument is spot on. While Butt and Farhat lack techniqe, Akmal and Faisal Iqbal got starts and threw it away. In the third test in New Zealand, the top 6 all got 60s and 70s...in my view, its almost a sin to throw away your wicket at 60 because you have done all the hard work, you have got a start..you have to convert that to a 150. That proves that most of Pakistani batsmen lack temperament and patience and its easy go get a false shot out of them by blocking the runs. Thats the effect of T20 in my view.
This has nothing to do with T20. Farhat and Butt were playing for Pakistan way before T20 came in subcontinent. Faisal Iqbal IMO is there due to nepotism and not because of Talent.

Infact I have more faith in the T20 generation (Fawad, Umar Akmal and Aamer) than I have on the likes of Yousuf and Younis Khan.

slowfinger

International Debutant
This has nothing to do with T20. Farhat and Butt were playing for Pakistan way before T20 came in subcontinent. Faisal Iqbal IMO is there due to nepotism and not because of Talent.

Infact I have more faith in the T20 generation (Fawad, Umar Akmal and Aamer) than I have on the likes of Yousuf and Younis Khan.
Yeah right, without Younis, Pakistan would never have even won the t20, if they don't even have ANY big experianced players, Pakistans team will crumble dramartically, just wait and see.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Ok as far as i understood what Mo Yo meant by this is...that the capacity of a batsman's patience is being reduced by desiging players for T20 at the grass root levels. I agree with him that if you start designing players at the club or zone levels especially for T20 then eventually it will have a negative impact on tests. Its common sense that if a player is designed and made to hit then his defences will be weaker.....especially if you do this at the youngest age....ppl are taking it into different directions and completely misinterpreting what he is saying....This is true for Pakistan's local cricket that players or youngsters want to play T20s and hit sixes....India is still playing their best players at test level....including Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Ghambir.....

I see what Mo Yo is saying.......

slowfinger

International Debutant
Some people have to understand that they can't even play cricket where they live so players can't develop, who's to blame?Blame the people not the players maybe?

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
It is about character, mentality, and how you percieve the game. Here on cricket web we love test cricket more then other formats.....but in Pakistan at club level or zone level....you have players who love hitting and thats why the T20 fever is much more....a young boy in Pak...either wants to be Afridi or wants to be Waqar or Akram...bowl fast or hit sixes......certainly not the right frame of mind to make him a test player........its easy to reduce the capacity of a player's patience from Tests to ODI to T20 but really hard to expand it from T20 to Tests.....therefore, it is essential that players at the lowest level learn to play test cricket.....learn techniques of defence.....only then.....you will have good test teams....for the time being...teams like SA, ENG, Ind enjoy test cricket success mainly because of the high quality Test players...when the young generation of players will enter the test arena their short comings will be exposed.....especially the ones created due to T20 cricket.

slowfinger

International Debutant
They also need role-models to guide them. And if their role models happen to hit 6's every ball well then that kills everything. If people take someone like Miandad as their role model then they will naturally take to defending. But T20 has diseased Pakistan into that 6-hitting fever and now even more people want to be like Afridi and hit a 6 every ball but that just doesnt happen in cricket. And some people can't even play cricket because of conditions etc. But I believe Pakistan will somehow find a way to get a system of young promising players converted into the best that they can be, only then will they succeed and then Pakistan will prevail to the best of all the players' potential.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah right, without Younis, Pakistan would never have even won the t20, if they don't even have ANY big experianced players, Pakistans team will crumble dramartically, just wait and see.
I don't see the relevance of the above statement. I never claimed that Pakistan would have won the T20 Cup without YK but the major reason Pak won the cup was because of Afridi a so called Test misfit.

I am not even claiming that a young Pakistan team will not collapse, but who cares, they have shown that they will show more gut than the likes of Moyo and YK. Take a look at Young Aamer and Umar Akmal, If that is not a sign of bright future then I do not understand what is.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

Pakistan introduced T20 cricket in the domestic leagues in 2005. It doesnt matter if Butt and Farhat had played for Pakistan before. Point is, when you are used to batting for 6-7 overs maximum, then you start thinking along those lines - 6 overs. You dont score for an over and you start losing patience. This is the problem I am talking. It has nothing to do with who started playing cricket when. It can even effect Misbah or even Yousuf. Once you are in the flow of playing for 7-8 overs..it becomes difficult to adjust your mindset and start thinking "i have to bat the whole day today" and more difficult for lesser players like Farhat, Butt and Iqbal.