• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best 11 of the decade in ODI and TEST

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Atleast 20 games played in the 2000s.

For test

Gayle - Gambhir - Lara - Ponting (c) - Tendulkar - Chanderpaul - Sangakkara (wk) - Flintoff - Warne - Mcgrath - Walsh

For ODI - atleast 30 games played in the 2000s

Gayle - Kallis - Tendulkar - ponting (c) - Hussey - beaven - Dhoni (wk) - Flintoff - Akram - Muralitharan - Mcgrath

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

For test

Gayle - Gambhir - Lara - Ponting (c) - Tendulkar - Chanderpaul - Sangakkara (wk) - Flintoff - Warne - Mcgrath - Walsh
Gambhir's pushing his luck a bit to be ahead of Hayden, Smith, Langer and maybe Strauss & Sehwag as well. Probably Gayle too. At the other end of the decade, did Walsh even play 20 tests? He was certainly getting on a bit by 1/1/2000.

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Gambhir's pushing his luck a bit to be ahead of Hayden, Smith, Langer and maybe Strauss & Sehwag as well. Probably Gayle too. At the other end of the decade, did Walsh even play 20 tests? He was certainly getting on a bit by 1/1/2000.
Gayle and Gambhir were two of most dynamic batsmen in the 2000s. They both do well when other batsmen might fail, Sehwag has big scores but often it's on good batting pitches. Gayle has a tripple, can carry his bat, and score quick centuries.

Smith is the only person who was unlucky to miss out - hayden had one of the longest bad period in history so that went against him aswell. But the fact is Sehwag and Hayden are both aggressors but they can't score a century faster than gayle or change a game faster than gayle - he's the best aggressor from the group - plus he can bowl a few overs, take good catches.

Gambhir is a better batsman than Smith and Strauss

Yeah walsh played 20 games.

20 tests and 30 ODIs in a decade aren't enough. Far too less for a 10 year period.

Tests

1.Mathew Hayden
2.Virender Sehwag
3.Ricky Ponting
4.Sachin Tendulkar
5.Jacques Kallis
6.Rahul Dravid
7.Adam Gilchrist
8.Shaun Pollock
9.Shane Warne
10.Makhaya Ntini
11.Glenn McGrath

ODIs

1.Sachin Tendulkar
2.Greame Smith
3.Ricky Ponting
4.Micheal Hussey
5.Yuvraj Singh
6.Andrew Symonds
7.MS Dhoni
8.Shaun Pollock
9.Daniel Vettori
10.Brett Lee
11.Glenn McGrath

Invincible :ph34r:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Tests:
as posted elsewhere
Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Kallis
Lara
Sangakkara
Gilchrist
Pollock
Warne
Murali
McGrath

for ODIs:
Tendulkar
Hayden
Ponting
Pietersen
Symonds
Dhoni+
Flintoff
Pollock
Lee
Murali
McGrath

Bevan and Bond very unlucky, but needed to play more to make a decade team.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo posted theirs as:

Virender Sehwag
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Andrew Flintoff
Shane Warne (c)
Muttiah Muralitharan
Allan Donald
Glenn McGrath

------

For me, I pretty much agree.
Sehwag
Hayden
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Steve Waugh
Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Warne
Murali
McGrath

with the quality of the 4 frontline bowlers, Flintoff isn't needed as much and his batting is no where near as beneficial as that of Waugh. IIRC, Donald peaked in 1998/99 and wasn't one o the top bowlers in the world by the time South Africa were challenging Australia for #1 In 2003.

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Flintoff is the best all rounder of this decade tho. He's unique and offers alot more than most peoples.

Stacking a team with players who have the best record isn't doing much in my opinion.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Flintoff is the best all rounder of this decade tho. He's unique and offers alot more than most peoples.

Stacking a team with players who have the best record isn't doing much in my opinion.
Yes, Fred is the best all-rounder we've seen this decade, but he isn't as consistent as other players. The reason I selected Waugh at 6 isn't due to his average, it's because he valued his wicket and would never give in. In the unlikely event of a collapse he could keep the innings together, and if it was 4-400 he could come in and belt it around for a while. Plus he could roll his arm over should the need arise.

bagapath

International Captain
Cricinfo posted theirs as:

Virender Sehwag
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Andrew Flintoff
Shane Warne (c)
Muttiah Muralitharan
Allan Donald
Glenn McGrath
I didnt know cricinfo published a team of the decade. can u pl give me the link? would love to read about it.

an alternate team looks as good as the one they have selected.

smith (c)
langer
dravid
pietersen
kallis
chanderpaul
dhoni (wk)
pollock
harbhajan
akhthar
steyn

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I didnt know cricinfo published a team of the decade. can u pl give me the link? would love to read about it.

an alternate team looks as good as the one they have selected.

smith (c)
langer
dravid
pietersen
kallis
chanderpaul
dhoni (wk)
pollock
harbhajan
akhthar
steyn
Facebook update. No idea if there's an article.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

For test

More players from West Indies than any other country in a Test team of the 2000s? ITSTL.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
ITSTL means ?

Just make your 11 - leave out gayle, lara, chanderpaul, and walsh.
It means interesting to say the least. Lara and Shiv are both decent shouts, though only one at most would actually make it. And neither Gayle nor Walsh would get near a team of the decade.

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Dravid
Lara/Yousuf/Sanga
Kallis
Gilchrist
Warne
Steyn
Murali
McGrath

Two spinners would often be overkill all things being equal, but there were only three truly great bowlers this decade and so I had to include all of them.

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Hayden - Sehwag are two frauds in my opinion. Sehwag scored most of his runs on flat wickets on his home grounds, he's not an internationally proven player. So he has no right to be given a spot over gayle. I notice with most of these 11 the teams are stacked up to score 1200 runs, whats the point of that ?

It's so easy to pick players with inflated records instead of looking at the details and the obvious question marks in their records.

Walsh is a better bowler than Steyn, and two spinners ?

Why even bother to use specialize openers ? your team is boring, and unimaginative.

It's safe - not a winning team. You clearly don't know anything about cricket and the importance of contrast - variation.