• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fastest To Multiples Of 1000 Runs

Bazza

International 12th Man
Whilst doing a bit of research on Graeme Smith I noticed that this is achieved by some of the alltime greats. Stewart and Atherton each have 8000 runs to their names, a great achievement, but they have batted at a time England has been short of world class batsmen and both average below 40. I will name the fastest 10 players (in terms of innings) to each multiple of 1000 runs and you will see apart from maybe the 1000 they are all great names of the game:

1000:
H Sutcliffe
ED Weekes
DG Bradman
RN Harvey
VG Kambli
L Hutton
FMM Worrell
LG Rowe
GA Headley
SG Barnes
GC Smith

2000:
DG Bradman
GA Headley
H Sutcliffe
KD Walters
BC Lara
AR Morris
ED Weekes
FMM Worrell
IVA Richards
DCS Compton
RN Harvey
RG Pollock

3000:
DG Bradman
ED Weekes
H Sutcliffe
BC Lara
RN Harvey
IVA Richards
GS Sobers
CL Walcott
DCS Compton
JB Hobbs

4000:
DG Bradman
H Sutcliffe
ED Weekes
IVA Richards
JB Hobbs
WR Hammond
BC Lara
L Hutton
GS Sobers
RN Harvey

5000:
DG Bradman
JB Hobbs
GS Sobers
SM Gavaskar
IVA Richards
WR Hammond
KF Barrington
L Hutton
SR Tendulkar
BC Lara

6000:
DG Bradman
GS Sobers
WR Hammond
L Hutton
KF Barrington
SM Gavaskar
IVA Richards
SR Tendulkar
BC Lara
GS Chappell

7000:
WR Hammond
SR Tendulkar
GS Sobers
SM Gavaskar
IVA Richards
Javed Miandad
BC Lara
GS Chappell
AR Border
CH Lloyd

8000:
SR Tendulkar
GS Sobers
Javed Miandad
BC Lara
SM Gavaskar
IVA Richards
AR Border
GA Gooch
G Boycott
SR Waugh
DI Gower
ME Waugh
AJ Stewart

That is all the people to reach 8000 runs.

My biggest surprise was the appearance of Neil Harvey in each of the first 4 lists. He was also 11th fastest to 5000 runs. I didn't realise he was that good. I think it also shows how good Brian Lara, and also to an extent Tendulkar, really is.

Lara and Viv Richards are the only players to appear in 7 of the lists.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Here is the ODI list.

1000:
IVA Richards
CG Greenidge
GM Turner
NS Sidhu
AH Jones
MA Atherton
Zaheer Abbas
GS Chappell
AJ Lamb
BC Broad
NV Knight

2000:
Zaheer Abbas
IVA Richards
CG Greenidge
G Kirsten
NS Sidhu
DC Boon
AH Jones
SC Ganguly
ME Trescothick
ML Hayden

3000:
IVA Richards
CG Greenidge
G Kirsten
GA Gooch
NS Sidhu
BC Lara
MG Bevan
DM Jones
GR Marsh
SC Ganguly
NV Knight

4000:
IVA Richards
CG Greenidge
BC Lara
DM Jones
SC Ganguly
GR Marsh
GA Gooch
NS Sidhu
DL Haynes
G Kirsten
Yousuf Youhana

5000:
IVA Richards
BC Lara
CG Greenidge
SC Ganguly
DM Jones
MG Bevan
G Kirsten
RT Ponting
JH Kallis
SR Tendulkar
Saeed Anwar

6000:
IVA Richards
SC Ganguly
BC Lara
DM Jones
G Kirsten
DL Haynes
Saeed Anwar
RT Ponting
ME Waugh
MG Bevan
JH Kallis

7000:
SC Ganguly
BC Lara
DL Haynes
SR Tendulkar
Saeed Anwar
ME Waugh
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul-Haq
PA de Silva
A Ranatunga
M Azharuddin
ST Jayasuriya
Saleem Malik
SR Waugh

8000:
SC Ganguly
SR Tendulkar
BC Lara
Saeed Anwar
DL Haynes
ME Waugh
Inzamam-ul-Haq
PA de Silva
M Azharuddin
ST Jayasuriya

This includes everyone with 7000 runs.

I think this is less conclusive and alot more present players appear. This is because so many more games are played nowadays and ODIs are a fairly new invention anyway. However there are not so many current players in the eraly lists. I think this is because SR has become more important and average less so in the one day arena.

Biggest surprise for me, well Ganguly appears in 7 of the lists and is above Tendulkar in each one!!

Lara is in 6 of the lists and Richards and Greenidge dominate the first 6 (which shows how good those 70s Windies batsmen were! Haynes also appears in 4 lists.), while Gary Kirsten is also in 5.

And what is Mike Atherton doing in that first list!?!? :O

V Reddy

International Debutant
Bazza said:

Biggest surprise for me, well Ganguly appears in 7 of the lists and is above Tendulkar in each one!!

It's b'coz Sachin batted in the middle order for around his first 80 matches and Ganguly only for about 30-40 . Atherton is in the list b'coz he is an opener .

Last edited:

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
and also becoz the india players start so young and play an insane amount of matches

V Reddy

International Debutant
Mr. Ponting said:
and also becoz the india players start so young and play an insane amount of matches
These are measured with the amount of innings played to reach that figure and not age:P

Bazza

International 12th Man
Exactly the number of innings, so why does it matter that someone is an opener?

Bevan's not an opener, but he got to 5000 quicker than Kirsten, Tendulkar, Anwar.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Bazza said:
Exactly the number of innings, so why does it matter that someone is an opener?

Bevan's not an opener, but he got to 5000 quicker than Kirsten, Tendulkar, Anwar.
Openers can pace their innings and have the chance to make big scores whereas the middle order batsman has to score quickly when he comes in and in turn may lose his wicket and also doesn't have the oppurtunity to score much runs. Whereas the opener if he is well set can easily score a hundred .

Mr. P

true, but if you become skilled enough as a middle order batsman you can score quickly without risking your wicket. Or you can look like you score slowly but still score quickly. (bevo)

Bazza

International 12th Man
Also traditionally the purpose of an opening batsman is to stay in and see of the first few overs, protecting the middle order batsmen, who then look to accelerate the scoring against the change bowlers with an older ball, etc.

I think it evens itself out in the end.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jayasuriya, 8000 runs and 250 wickets in ODIs.

Statistically, the greatest all rounder of all time...

Ah, statistics.

Mr. P

yep, statisticts. Reporters latch on to them in a flash. But I was rather surprised to find in my local paper a week or two back, that there was an article by someone saying stats didn't prove anything. Surely this is a first. Nomatter, he'll be back next week using stats to his advantage.:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Jayasuriya, 8000 runs and 250 wickets in ODIs.

Statistically, the greatest all rounder of all time...

Ah, statistics.
How many of those wickets are tailenders when he was captaining the side?! ;)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jayasuriya as captain...

As 5th bowler....34 wickets in 35 matches.
6th....36 wickets in 53 matches.
7th.....22 in 17.
8th.....0 in 1.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
De Silva has only 14 wickets against Australia, but he's had Boon (2 times), Border (3 times) and Ponting (3 times).