• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Cricket Your Favourite Sport?

Is cricket your favourite sport?

• Total voters

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Definitely cricket (over football), but it's not entirely clear cut for me. I care far, far more about football results, probably because of the whole football culture you get brought up in. It was very strange to go to uni and find myself with a load of people where football isn't the standard fall-back of any conversation.

I'm far more tolerant of losing at cricket (same goes for when I'm playing) than at football as well. So I guess I like them in different ways - football is more of an emotional attachment, while cricket is a sport I can actually enjoy much more.

Also, nothing in cricket gets me as excited as a World Cup. I'm hoping to save to go to Brazil in 2014, while there's no way I'd go to see England overseas for many years.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't choose myself. for a number of different reasons that nobody would care to hear :)

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
A tough one, but I rarely get emotionally involved in a cricket match like I do in a football match. Even though my frustration with the administration of the AFL grows every year, I'd take a Doggies flag over five World Cups without even thinking about it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You've probably not watched as much basketball as I have if you really think it hardly ever gets monotonous. To each his own I suppose.
I haven't watched a lot of basketball but I have played a lot, both in reality and in gaming and it never gets to the point of boring for me. I love the sport a lot.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
A tough one, but I rarely get emotionally involved in a cricket match like I do in a football match. Even though my frustration with the administration of the AFL grows every year, I'd take a Doggies flag over five World Cups without even thinking about it.
May be that you're spoilt for success in one sport however, yet haven't had a premiership with the Bulldogs yet?

R_D

International Debutant
Football and than cricket for me.
Used to the other way few years back..Love playing football.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I watch mainly three games, Cricket, ODI's and T-20. I think I like cricket best :happy:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Football (soccer) used to be my passion. I obsessed about it as a kid and as an adult my first job in the US was as a head socer coach and I continued to coach throughout the last 10 years. However, I have not watched a pro game unless in the pub during that time. I just dont care anymore. I find it boring, I hate the way the game is played and I dont identify with the players. It is kind of sad really as one of the things me and my Dad talk about are the football scores and it is great to speak to him but I have no interest in the topic. I couldnt even tell you where teams are in the table or who most managers are.

Cricket is my favourite sport. It doesnt mean there are not times when I dislike it or get frustrated with it but it is in my blood. It defines a huge part of who I am.

I will play most sports. A busy week nowadays would have tennis,soccer, rugby, volleyball, American football and basketball and I enjoy them all (basketball the least though) but the only other one I enjoy watching apart from cricket is American Football. Id watch more League but it isnt on over here.

EDIT- Id add that I enjoy watching combat sports as well but cricket is King

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Cricket by far. Funnily though I hated cricket when I was a young kid. WC 1996 and Sachin mania turned it around. Now a days though I don't get as despondent as I used to when India loses in ODIs. Test matches still matter a lot to me. I would be one of the few in my set of friends to sit around watching a whole day of test cricket. Tennis comes after this.

I love playing cricket and am always the first at the ground when we play. The tough thing is getting 22 guys or at least 16 guys to come. During my last year in college we used to play every morning at 7 and I used to be the guy waking every one up and forcing them to the ground.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Definitely cricket (over football), but it's not entirely clear cut for me. I care far, far more about football results, probably because of the whole football culture you get brought up in. It was very strange to go to uni and find myself with a load of people where football isn't the standard fall-back of any conversation.

I'm far more tolerant of losing at cricket (same goes for when I'm playing) than at football as well. So I guess I like them in different ways - football is more of an emotional attachment, while cricket is a sport I can actually enjoy much more.

Also, nothing in cricket gets me as excited as a World Cup. I'm hoping to save to go to Brazil in 2014, while there's no way I'd go to see England overseas for many years.
Ha ye i got a lot of friends who like cricket & football who say this. But for me personally the football WC & lets say the Ashes 05 & the 04/05 India vs Australia series had equal excitement for me.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Ha ye i got a lot of friends who like cricket & football who say this. But for me personally the football WC & lets say the Ashes 05 & the 04/05 India vs Australia series had equal excitement for me.
That's in hindsight though. If the Ashes had turned into a 5-0 drubbing, then it wouldn't have held any excitement.

(Feel I'm getting into a bit of a DIckinson, "it's the expectation that counts, not the result" argument here :p).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd probably still just have to go with association football. I love cricket and am far more inclined to watch cricket as a neutral than I am with any other sport (watching highlights of the 4th day of Oz/Pakistan as I type), but I think early exposure has permanently hardwired me for football. Quentin Crisp famously said there's no point being a pig farmer for thirty years before deciding to be a ballet dancer, sooner or later the pigs have become your style. That's pretty much how I am with footy; I find it infuriating and annoying but it's part of who I am.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket - massive gap - the rest. Ever since I was a kid it's occupied my idle thoughts and quite frequently displaced other thoughts too.

Of the rest, football ("soccer") used to be number 1 and I suppose when I'm in the mood it still is.

I'm getting into rugby though via Mrs Z who's long had an interest in it, and a good game of international rugby is right up there.

Also tennis can be good, particularly if there's a doomed youth from Britain involved.

And top-class athletics (which atm basically means Usain Bolt) can be electrifying.

I'd also echo fredfertang's shout for the Ryder Cup. The only sporting event to compete with Test cricket for sustained and gripping tension in my view. It's the format that counts though, because normally golf is pretty boring to watch.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yeah, this, pretty much verbatim. I don't get angry about English collapses and defeats in the same way that I'm overwhelmed by fury when some incompetent referee robs the Grecians of points, but I've been up till 3/4am for the last two days watching from the MCG. I've been to far more football games than cricket ones... and played far more cricket games than football ones.

Both sports are equally able to cause touchline lunacy/kicking corner flags/boundary markers - although rugby union has been increasingly liable to do that lately... and I have to confess to actually getting out of my seat and yelling "come on Wales" at the Millennium Stadium last month. In my defence, m'lud, I didn't pay for the tickets, the oppo were Kiwi and all I'd seen prior to that was 70 minutes of Richie McCaw cheating (and before Voltman erupts, I tell my players to get as close to the line of the law as possible as well. It just doesn't make for open, flowing rugby).