• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My team of the decade

Craig

World Traveller
So with the year and the decade just about out, I came up with my team of the decade. I may not be a cricket writer or a former international, but I have been around this site for a very long time (too long :ph34r: ), watched a fair bit of cricket lately, and over the years so I came up with my team of the decade.

ML Hayden
V Sehwag
* RT Ponting
R Dravid
SR Tendulkar
JH Kallis
+ AC Gilchrist
SM Pollock
SK Warne
M Muralitharan
GD McGrath

Hayden was the best opener this decade, scoring 29 Test centuries from the tour of India in 2001. Sehwag gets in for his destructive like batting. I know in the decade he spent sometime out of the team, for a guy who has two triple centuries and a 290-odd, when he gets going, he can take the game away from the opposition. He's not just a FTB, he did score a century in difficult conditions at Trent Bridge in 2002. Ponting, Dravid, Tendulkar, Kallis, and Gilchrist all pick themselves.

Pollock and McGrath were the two best and probably the most consistent seam bowlers, two guys that would give you nothing with the ball, and would keep it very tight. I thought about Ntini who has taken 380 Test wickets in this decade (:-O), but I considered Pollock and McGrath to be the better bowlers (lower averages, less runs per over etc.). For Warne and Murali, they pick themselves.

Thanks to SS as well, who gave me feedback and offered some suggestions on my team.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
You obviously didn't pay much heed to SS's suggestions, you've got 2 spinners in the team :p

I'd have the exact same team myself btw.

1.Mathew Hayden
2.Virender Sehwag
3.Ricky Ponting
4.Sachin Tendulkar
5.Rahul Dravid
6.Jacques Kallis
7.Adam Gilchrist
8.Shaun Pollock
9.Shane Warne
10.Makhaya Ntini
11.Glenn McGrath

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Tendulkar
Kallis
Inzamam
Gilchrist
Flintoff
Pollock
Warne
McGrath

Not much different from Craig's but tbf most of them pick themselves

bagapath

International Captain
So with the year and the decade just about out, I came up with my team of the decade. I may not be a cricket writer or a former international, but I have been around this site for a very long time (too long :ph34r: ), watched a fair bit of cricket lately, and over the years so I came up with my team of the decade.
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/44993-playing-selector-team-decade-00s.html

Craig... you were missing for whole month when we selected the team of the decade... it has lara in place of tendulkar in your team... the remaining 10 are the same...

Shri

Mr. Glass
Lara has hit 21 100s in tests at an average of 54 in just 6 years this decade.

Matthew Hayden
Virender Sehwag
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Shane Warne (C)
Muthiah Muralitharan
Shane Bond
Glenn McGrath

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Don't see the point of having either Lara or Tendulkar. Kallis makes it in as a batsman before those two, and we don't need a batting no.6, we need a bloke who can bowl 90+ and reverse it. That's where Flintoff comes in.

You get six bowling options in this team with batting all the way to no.8. Looks good. Bond, Shoaib and Steyn didn't play enough cricket to qualify.

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting (c)
Dravid
Kallis
Flintoff
Gilchrist
Pollock
Warne
Murali
McGrath

Last edited: