• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My team of the decade

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Kallis
Lara
Sangakkara
Gilchrist+
Pollock
Warne
Murali
McGrath

Pretty similar to the team we all decided on. Close to putting in Langer ahead of Sehwag, Sachin or Dravid ahead of Sanga, or Gillespie, Steyn or B-Grade ahead of Pollock.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hayden
Smith
Ponting
Dravid
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Pollock
Warne
Murali
McGrath

Kallis is good enough as a first change bowler. The team really picks itself for the most part. Only Smith vs Sehwag or Flintoff vs ??? is a real debate.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You obviously didn't pay much heed to SS's suggestions, you've got 2 spinners in the team :p

I'd have the exact same team myself btw.

Haha, I didn't say anything about that. It's hard to come up with a logical argument that there were two other bowlers who were better :p

SS is obviously a tool
Haha yea. I did convince him that Flintoff doesn't belong. Here is what I said, and I think it applies:

My suggestions: 1) Flintoff. 3 five wicket hauls in 79 matches just doesn't cut it, in my opinion. Yes, Ashes and all, but we're not talking about the combined Ashes team. Second, if he is in the team, there is no way in bloody hell he should bat ABOVE Gilchrist. 2) Batting. I'd actually have one more full batsman in there, such as Inzamam (Averaged 55 with 17 centuries from 62 matches in 2000s), Dravid, or Chanderpaul.

I think a batting lineup of Hayden, Sehwag, Ponting, Tendulkar, Kallis, Inzamam, Gilchrist is insanely good and has pretty much everything you could ask for. Bowling of McGrath, Pollock and Kallis, with Warne and Murali is more than enough. Since not everyone can bowl (but everyone bats), you start hitting diminishing returns with your bowling quickly after four bowlers (and definitely after five), while that doesn't happen with deep batting really. Secondly, both Warne and Murali will bowl A LOT of overs, so having that extra bowler is just extra uselessness in my opinion.
Would try to accommodate Inzamam actually, but yeah good team.
Yea.

Craigos did a great job picking a team though.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Matthew Hayden
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Brian Lara
5. Jacques Kallis
6. Shivnarene Chanderpaul
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Graeme Swann
9. Shane Warne
10. Dale Steyn
11. Glenn Mcgrath

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
A Gentle nudge . . .

Bowling in the current decade​
Code:
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]Player	 Wkts	 5w	 10w	 Avg	 S/R[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[B]Murali	560	49	20	20.88	50.83[/B]

Ntini  	380	18	4	28.55	52.71
Warne	357	21	6	25.17	50.78

[B]McGrath	297	14	2	20.54	51.49[/B]

Pollock	260	6	1	24.77	61.09
Flintof	213	3	0	32.94	66.48
Steyn	170	11	3	24.05	40.19
Swann	57	3	0	31.05	62.89

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
A Gentle nudge . . .

Bowling in the current decade​
Code:
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]Player	 Wkts	 5w	 10w	 Avg	 S/R[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[B]Murali	560	49	20	20.88	50.83[/B]

Ntini  	380	18	4	28.55	52.71
Warne	357	21	6	25.17	50.78

[B]McGrath	297	14	2	20.54	51.49[/B]

Pollock	260	6	1	24.77	61.09
Flintof	213	3	0	32.94	66.48
Steyn	170	11	3	24.05	40.19
Swann	57	3	0	31.05	62.89
A push; remove minnows. Murali's record is inflated quite a lot. Not that he isn't superior to Swann :laugh:.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
  1. Hayden
  2. Sehwag
  3. Ponting
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Dravid
  6. Kallis
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Warne
  9. Steyn
  10. Murali
  11. Macgrath

There are simply too many Aussies and Indians in there. If I had to choose a side only from these two countries t wouldn't be much worse but for the absence of Murali :)

1. Hayden
  2. Sehwag
  3. Ponting
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Dravid
  6. Clarke
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Warne
  9. Lee
  10. Kumble
  11. Macgrath

Shri

Mr. Glass
  1. Hayden
  2. Sehwag
  3. Ponting
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Dravid
  6. Kallis
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Warne
  9. Steyn
  10. Murali
  11. Macgrath

There are simply too many Aussies and Indians in there. If I had to choose a side only from these two countries t wouldn't be much worse but for the absence of Murali :)

1. Hayden
  2. Sehwag
  3. Ponting
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Dravid
  6. Clarke
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Warne
  9. Lee
  10. Kumble
  11. Macgrath
Gillespie over Lee perhaps?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No he doesn't, now you're pushing it a bit. Martyn over Clarke more likely.

Would definitely Take Gillespie over Lee myself.

And I'd pick between Kumble/Lee would depend on the pitch

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No he doesn't, now you're pushing it a bit.

Would definitely Take Gillespie over Lee myself.

And you'd Kumble/Lee would depend on the pitch
Yes, he does.

As for Kumble, why him? MacGill was better, if the pitch suited or not.

We're talking about this decade, right?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
a) Tendulkar did it for longer over more matches this decade
b) Martyn never faced McGrath, Warne or Gillespie
c) Martyn is a better shout over Michael Clarke.

And as for why Kumble over MacGill? Because on a turner I'd take Kumble anyday because he won more matches for his team this decade.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
a) Tendulkar did it for longer over more matches this decade
b) Martyn never faced McGrath, Warne or Gillespie
c) Martyn is a better shout over Michael Clarke.

And as for why Kumble over MacGill? Because on a turner I'd take Kumble anyday because he won more matches for his team this decade.
a) He didn't do it well enough for far longer. And Martyn did it for 57 tests; that's enough. This isn't a career analysis where I really care about longevity. Martyn performed better this decade; was more consistent. Only averages sub-40 against 1 team (England) and away from home only averages sub-40 in 1 place (UAE).

b) Tendulkar averages 36 with matches involving Warne and McGrath this decade; big whoop. Martyn was a very good player of both pace and spin; I am not convinced of this line of reasoning.

c) Possibly, but I'd take Clarke over both Martyn and Tendulkar.

d) Kumble wasn't very impressive this decade, compared to the last one, and one of very few spinners in some half a century that compares well to Warne and Murali is MacGill. He was a better spinner, full stop. He was just unlucky he had Warne ahead of him. And if the pitch is turning you definitely want him.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol @ big whoop. Martyn never faced two of the 3 greatest bowlers this decade FFS! You're very predictable. Would rather you just say its an all-Australian XI and be clear.
Martyn was a very good player of both pace and spin
Where did I say he wasn't? I'd say Sachin is more than 'very good' against both pace and spin, and has been this decade.

And Tell me why MacGill was a better spinner please.t

Whenever he was pitted against Kumble he was outbowled.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And in true blue Kazoholic style, I'd like to remove all matches Tendulkar was suffering from tennis elbow from the record. What's Sachin's record like this decade now against Martyn's?