• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2003 Wisden Cricketer Of The Year - Ricky Ponting

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah. I don't really have an opinion on who is the better slips fieldsman between Dravid and Ponting, because without a doubt Dravid of 2008/09 hasn't been as secure as in previous years (obviously due to his hand-eye coordination detioriating slightly... as happens when you turn 37), but Dravid dropping two catches in one innings is hardly a sign of his mediocrity.

Same with Ponting.

Either way, Dravid fields in slip for the spinners too, which arguably makes him the more-rounded slipper?

Either way Ponting clearly the 3rd best all-round fielder I've ever seen.

Symonds first, Jonty second.

Symonds could field on the fence and have a monster arm, and obviously in the ring he was an absolute beast.

What a player, had that killer instinct too. The ultimate fielder. Such a dick though. Shame.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wisden's Leading Cricketer In The World Award is one of those things, like The Bradman Oration and The Allan Border Medal, which makes me want to reach for my sick bag. It just sounds so goddam pompous.
Really?

Think it's a fine idea myself TBH. A small concession to the global market which enables most of the rest of the book to retain its centred-around-the-English-game mantra.

Sir Alex

Banned
I think Jayawardene is a superb slip fielder.. He is certainly among the very best for his ability to take sharp chances of Murali.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I heard Scotland doesn't have a test cricket team let alone participate in the Ashes.
I heard most Australians don't know very much about how cricket works in the UK, and that post makes it pretty clear that there's at the very least one such Australian here.

gwo

U19 Debutant
Not quite Dick.

I'm quite aware of the UK's **** cricketing system and how England needs to thieve players from all around the world to be ranked... 5th best in the world at test cricket

For the record,
understanding the English
cricketing system requires minimal requisite
knowledge.

On topic, I reckon Ponting is overrated by Australians and underrated by non-Australians
f ("EF") fortless shotmaking is one of his key skills
focus on the tasks at hand is also another one of his key strengths.
!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not quite Dick.

I'm quite aware of the UK's **** cricketing system and how England needs to thieve players from all around the world to be ranked... 5th best in the world at test cricket

For the record,
knowledge.

On topic, I reckon Ponting is overrated by Australians and underrated by non-Australians
f ("EF") fortless shotmaking is one of his key skills
focus on the tasks at hand is also another one of his key strengths.
!
bore off

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not quite Dick.

For the record,
knowledge.
Perhaps "simplistic idiocy" would be a more appropriate term than "ill-informedness on English cricket" for some.

After all it's certainly the only appropriate term for the above post.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You've missed the "don't" from that post, and your keyboard seems to have a strange compulsion for turning "any"s into "more"s.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not quite Dick.

A tiny dose of humility might now be in order from a supporter of a team which just managed to lose the Ashes to a team from the said **** cricketing system.

But hey, you're beating a weakened West Indies team at home, so you're all full of it now. Go you.