• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2003 Wisden Cricketer Of The Year - Ricky Ponting

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was looking for a Ponting fielding thread to dig, or something to do with his history, but couldn't find one. So this will do...

Do you think that Ponting's fielding in the slips has hurt his legacy as a fielder? He was absolute dynamite back in his prime, and used to be mentioned in the same breath as Rhodes for a while, due to his propensity to hit the stumps so often. But as a slipper, where he spends most of his time in Tests these days, I'd describe him as enigmatic at best.
Yeah, was a gun in the ring for years and is a decent slipper who takes the occasional screamer. His legacy, I think, is sealed from his early days but when rated as a slipper, a caveat or two is necessary.

One of the catches they are using for a promotion on the local TV coverage features a Ponting catch from last summer against Souht Africa. He is diving sideways from second slip completely outstretched mid air taking a absolute blinder.

Out of the top batsmen in the last 20 years Ponting would be far and away the best fielder.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Agree he's overall a good slip who has flashes of brilliance but drops a few too many. You were saying 'far and away the best' however which I would agree with re overall fielding bit not specifically re slips. Dravid, Hayden, and depending on your definition of 'top batsman' Mark Waugh and Mark Taylor all have him well covered in the slips just off the top of my head.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I would accept less blinders if it meant a corresponding increase in regulation chances taken. He does drop some of the most basic grabs at slip, and that places him below the very best.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Always has a knack of pulling off a stunning and crucial run out or two every time he plays India in an ODI series. He's great to watch in the field.

Agree he's overall a good slip who has flashes of brilliance but drops a few too many. You were saying 'far and away the best' however which I would agree with re overall fielding bit not specifically re slips. Dravid, Hayden, and depending on your definition of 'top batsman' Mark Waugh and Mark Taylor all have him well covered in the slips just off the top of my head.
Dravid, are you serious?. Not to long ago I watched Dravid put down two in the slips in one innings.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I've seen Ponting do the same. He hasn't ended up with the records for catches because he's an average slipper.

You really need to do some research on cricket if in any way you think Dravid is a top slips catcher. Best in India I can agree but a long way from Hayden, Waugh and Taylor.

Dravid is just horrible. I know that he has watch the bowling and
therefore wants to stand in the slips, but at what price? He has
scored well in this series, but has given up more runs through dropped
catches than he has scored.
Re: Dropped catches - World record
Drop Catch Rahul Dravid Day 2- India Vs England 2008 1 Test Chennai Video, Video clips, Featured videos: Rediff Videos

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, for anyone who doesn't know, Ponting did indeed win Wisden's Leading Cricketer In The World award for 2003, but it was a new award that year and as far as I was aware no-one knew it was being created until the book was released.

Did this thread-starter - who's long-gone now - have inside info?

Sir Alex

Banned
Azharuddin will make it as one of the best fielders in the last 20 years. He too like Ponting had the ability to execute breathtaking dismissals. He was less mobile than Ponting but better catcher than him especailly in the slips.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Symonds was an absolute beast in the in-field. Was almost like having two mid-wickets.

If you're considering both slips fielding and in-fielding, De Villiers is as good as they come.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Wisden's Leading Cricketer In The World Award is one of those things, like The Bradman Oration and The Allan Border Medal, which makes me want to reach for my sick bag. It just sounds so goddam pompous.