Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Wisden Cricketer Of The Year - Ricky Ponting

Vaughan got it and he has a poor ODI record. Ed Smith could be a contendor even if he doesnt even play for England.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Ed Smith could well have a shot - he's been setting a phenomonal pace in county cricket.

Traditionally there would probably be two players for their performances in English county cricket (E Smith), two players for their performances in the English international summer (G Smith) and one other for outstanding performances worldwide (Ponting).

Vaughan got it because he had the second best calender year in the history of test cricket.
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

Was looking for a Ponting fielding thread to dig, or something to do with his history, but couldn't find one. So this will do...

Do you think that Ponting's fielding in the slips has hurt his legacy as a fielder? He was absolute dynamite back in his prime, and used to be mentioned in the same breath as Rhodes for a while, due to his propensity to hit the stumps so often. But as a slipper, where he spends most of his time in Tests these days, I'd describe him as enigmatic at best.

In ODIs in the field he still looks dynamic tbh only AB can test in the world now that Symo is gone. So overall i'd say no.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Was looking for a Ponting fielding thread to dig, or something to do with his history, but couldn't find one. So this will do...

Do you think that Ponting's fielding in the slips has hurt his legacy as a fielder? He was absolute dynamite back in his prime, and used to be mentioned in the same breath as Rhodes for a while, due to his propensity to hit the stumps so often. But as a slipper, where he spends most of his time in Tests these days, I'd describe him as enigmatic at best.
    It won't affect his actual legacy, people will still remember him as a great fielder. In fact, on the ABC commentary they were like "very very rare for Ponting to drop a catch at 2nd slip"

Well... not really.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post

Yeah, was a gun in the ring for years and is a decent slipper who takes the occasional screamer. His legacy, I think, is sealed from his early days but when rated as a slipper, a caveat or two is necessary.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Banned
    One of the catches they are using for a promotion on the local TV coverage features a Ponting catch from last summer against Souht Africa. He is diving sideways from second slip completely outstretched mid air taking a absolute blinder.

Out of the top batsmen in the last 20 years Ponting would be far and away the best fielder.

Overall yeah. Not as a slip tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Overall yeah. Not as a slip tho.
    He would easily be in the top 5% as a slipper.

He takes way too many brilliant catchs in the slips to even be considered average,

Agree he's overall a good slip who has flashes of brilliance but drops a few too many. You were saying 'far and away the best' however which I would agree with re overall fielding bit not specifically re slips. Dravid, Hayden, and depending on your definition of 'top batsman' Mark Waugh and Mark Taylor all have him well covered in the slips just off the top of my head.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    I would accept less blinders if it meant a corresponding increase in regulation chances taken. He does drop some of the most basic grabs at slip, and that places him below the very best.

Always has a knack of pulling off a stunning and crucial run out or two every time he plays India in an ODI series. He's great to watch in the field.

Symonds and Rhodes were his only peers as an overall ring fielder IMO

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Agree he's overall a good slip who has flashes of brilliance but drops a few too many. You were saying 'far and away the best' however which I would agree with re overall fielding bit not specifically re slips. Dravid, Hayden, and depending on your definition of 'top batsman' Mark Waugh and Mark Taylor all have him well covered in the slips just off the top of my head.
    Dravid, are you serious?. Not to long ago I watched Dravid put down two in the slips in one innings.

I've seen Ponting do the same. He hasn't ended up with the records for catches because he's an average slipper.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information