• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2003 Wisden Cricketer Of The Year - Ricky Ponting

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
You've heard it here first...Ricky Ponting dead-set has to be cricketer of the year for 2003. He has taken himself to the next level with his cricket and someone else would have to do a bloody good effort to get near these stats...

6 Tests
610 runs @ 76.25
1 50, 3 100's
HS of 206 v WI at Port of Spain

27 ODI's
897 runs @ 47.21
3 50's, 4 100's
HS of 140* v India at Johannesburg (World Cup Final)

Added into that is captaining a World Cup winning team and a captaincy record of 23 wins and 4 losses (85% success rate) and you would have to say that he is the best the world has to offer in 2003.

Thoughts?

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
So true, Hoggy. Punters an amazing year, probably the best of anyone, and certainly his best. I was particularly happy with his WC captaincy. I thought that was his greatest test, and he shone through.

Go Ponting!

Bazza

International 12th Man
Indeed Ponting has been outstanding but here are two other candidates who spring to my mind:

BC Lara:

Tests 6 11 1 832 209 83.20 3 4 (remember this is against Australia mostly)
ODIs 16 16 2 684 116 48.85 2 4

Lara has been written off time and again but his record is better than Ponting's and came against a stronger attack (in tests anyway). He has also regained the captaincy. Of course, Lara has already been a Wisden cricketer of the year so cannot be considered. So lets look at another contender.

GC Smith:

Tests 5 6 0 803 277 133.83 3 1
ODIs 15 14 0 459 69 32.78 0 4

Plus he has taken over the captaincy of a nation in reform, and had to put up with alot of flak already. He was not a popular choice and has received criticism from all quarters, but has still led by example to record consecutive 250s. Only four people have back to back 200s and he is the first to do it against England. He got the highest score by an overseas player at Lord's and raced past 1000 runs. Only 8 people have got there quicker including greats like Bradman, Hutton, Sutcliffe, Weekes and Worrell. He is the fastest South African by a country mile. Oh yeah, and he's still only 22.

PS: I think if James Anderson can improve in this series and have a decent winter he will be a banker. Of course there is a bias towards English players and the start he has made to his ODI career is as good as anyone, especially so young.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
i think punters captaincy is more impressive and i think smith has made some stupid decisions/comments. (e.g: lance klusener)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Smith hasn't done well enough in the ODI's i dont think, and Pontings captaincy has been brilliant

juztinlanger

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeh it has to be Punter.

It could have been Vaughan, but he's only good at tests. His ODI average is around 21.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Vaughan's already had it as well. I think Smith still has time to improve in ODIs. A few big scores towards the end of the year would be enough. There's no reason why they can't both win it anyway. In fact I'd say based on the fact Smith has done his thing over here he has a great shot - like I said there is a bias towards the English season.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say Lara would deserve it more, but then I'm not sure if he can be picked since he's been named before. Better record, captaining an inferior team, and well at that, and scored loads of runs against the Aussies. Ponting has had a good year, and success as captain but he's got a stronger team around him and less pressure, and yet Lara comes back from a lean patch and injury to end up having a better record...

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Vaughan got it and he has a poor ODI record. Ed Smith could be a contendor even if he doesnt even play for England.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Ed Smith could well have a shot - he's been setting a phenomonal pace in county cricket.

Traditionally there would probably be two players for their performances in English county cricket (E Smith), two players for their performances in the English international summer (G Smith) and one other for outstanding performances worldwide (Ponting).

Vaughan got it because he had the second best calender year in the history of test cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was looking for a Ponting fielding thread to dig, or something to do with his history, but couldn't find one. So this will do...

Do you think that Ponting's fielding in the slips has hurt his legacy as a fielder? He was absolute dynamite back in his prime, and used to be mentioned in the same breath as Rhodes for a while, due to his propensity to hit the stumps so often. But as a slipper, where he spends most of his time in Tests these days, I'd describe him as enigmatic at best.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
In ODIs in the field he still looks dynamic tbh only AB can test in the world now that Symo is gone. So overall i'd say no.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Was looking for a Ponting fielding thread to dig, or something to do with his history, but couldn't find one. So this will do...

Do you think that Ponting's fielding in the slips has hurt his legacy as a fielder? He was absolute dynamite back in his prime, and used to be mentioned in the same breath as Rhodes for a while, due to his propensity to hit the stumps so often. But as a slipper, where he spends most of his time in Tests these days, I'd describe him as enigmatic at best.
It won't affect his actual legacy, people will still remember him as a great fielder. In fact, on the ABC commentary they were like "very very rare for Ponting to drop a catch at 2nd slip"

Well... not really.